Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

MP Jet diesel troubles

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

MP Jet diesel troubles

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP Jet diesel troubles

I picked up a few MP jet diesels after reading a post about them here. I mixed up some fuel today, 33, 33, 33 and can't seem to get the engine to fire off. It never even made a pop.
Any thoughts? I used Sig castor and the following :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62657.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1854176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35880.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1854177  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: MP Jet diesel troubles

The problem is the ether. Go to John Deere and
get the John Deere branded product.
Ralph
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you used the starting fluid shown in your picture as your ether source, you only have 16% ether in the final mixture-if you did a 1/3-1/3-1/3 mix-nowhere near enough (in fact about half what you want)-so it's not surprising nothing is happening....under 20% ether, from cold, new engine-it is highly unlikely it would fire, let alone run.

If you're having trouble with MP Jets, it will be an operator problem, not an engine problem..............

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Max_Power

Hey "The Woodlands"! That's my hometown for the first 28 years of life! I bet its much nicer weather there than here right now....If this is your first diesel it might not be a bad idea to buy a quart of commercial fuel from tower or Davis so you kind of have a baseline for how its gonna act. Not that the homemade blends are inferior or anything, but it removes a variable from the learning curve IMHO. I've always wanted one of those MP jets! Where are you flying? I bet folks don't fly off Rankin road at the "drag strip" anymore eh? Todd
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
xanaphyst

Max-power....yes I really liked it there but needed some room to breath and make noise with my various stuff. I'm not sure where people fly around here because I'm just getting back into it.
I usually don't enjoy clubs or anything with formal rules so I tend to fly by myself.

The MP-Jet now runs great with the John Deere brand starting fluid and I'm quite impressed with it after about 20 min of running.

pop..pop.....bbbbuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrr........butter smooth
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
DeviousDave

Be sure to try to engine with smaller props, while it will turn an 8-4 like any normal 1cc diesel it REALLY likes small props!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 AM
xanaphyst

Thanks Dave. I'll give that a try. She's swinging a 7x3 right now as a break in prop. I need to find a cleaner way of making up my fuel or just do it in larger batches. I don't think
it stinks like everyone says but I was a diesel mechanic for many years so that might have something to do with it. It is however quite oily and my syringe isn't reacting well
against the kerosene. I need some equipment/handling tips for this stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

At the hair salons they have plastic squeeze bottles with screw on lids. The lids have a molded in spout that we press fit a short hunk of Tygon tubing over. They are very handy for gassing up your planes. The size bottle I like is probably pint size.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:11 PM
xanaphyst

CP...thanks for the tip, I'll look for that. Anyone using something besides tygon? That stuff is a bit stiff and rather thick.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
hfenn

I like the fueling bottle Eric Clutton sells. Mine is a decade old. Also, he sells Tygon that has a nice thin wall and is super flexible (as advertised).
http://www.cafes.net/doctordiesel/DDaccessories.htm
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
ffkiwi

These are what I use-mostly homemade-with the exception of the 'Valvespout' bottle on the right (the same as hfenn's Dr Diesel offering) Just squeezable polythene bottles from the local plastics store, to which I fit an axially drilled (a lathe helps-but you can do it by eye with a handrill) brass bolt and nut, a couple of fibre or nylon sealing washers and your choice of length and diameter of K&S brass tubing soldered into the drilled bolt. [I usually countersink the hole on the bolt head side so it acts as a lead in to the brass tubing.] The smallest one shown has a capacity of about an ounce (~30mls) the largest about 8 ounces or 250cc-and that covers all my fuelling needs. I use them for both diesel and glow re-fuelling.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89462.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1854800  
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: xanaphyst

Thanks Dave. I'll give that a try. She's swinging a 7x3 right now as a break in prop. I need to find a cleaner way of making up my fuel or just do it in larger batches. I don't think
it stinks like everyone says but I was a diesel mechanic for many years so that might have something to do with it. It is however quite oily and my syringe isn't reacting well
against the kerosene. I need some equipment/handling tips for this stuff.

I use Eric Clutton's fuel, and his Valve Spout to fuel the motors. I get the fuel from him at the Toledo show (save a bundle on shipping, Toledo is local to me) every year, and started using the Vale Spouts about 5 years ago. One I use for alcohol in my backpack for cooking, it gets a lot of abuse. One thing I like about the Valve Spout is that fuel will keep for a few weeks and still start a Schlosser .25cc...... the smaller the engine the more critical the ether content required to start, so the loss from the Valve Spout isn't too bad over time. Might avoid loss entirely if I put it in the freezer between use.

If you have to use a syringe, get one of the ones that has a solid plastic piston in an interference fit with no Viton seal.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: xanaphyst

CP...thanks for the tip, I'll look for that. Anyone using something besides tygon? That stuff is a bit stiff and rather thick.

You ca get away with using glow fuel tubing fro quite a while before it fails. Another alternative is the clear plastic tubing that is used on Cox motors, the cox parts suppliers sell it by the foot.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neoprene fuel tubing is softer than tygon and can still take the diesel fuel. I use neoprene for the clunk in the tank, but like to have tygon to the carb to see when the fuel reaches the carb.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
xanaphyst

Anyone ever order straight from the MP Jet Website? I'd like to try but I'm a little worried about sending my info over the pond to Czech country. they have a bunch of great stuff for this engine I'd like to try.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOU CAN GET THEM FROM I Care RC Canada bought one then 2 more no issues about $140 US each martin
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
xanaphyst

Thanks guys, I bought mine from ICARE as well but the muffler extension is on back order. MP Jet has some remote mount needle kits as well as some engine mount fuel tanks and other various du-dads including some marine stuff
I'm trying to get ahold of. I have not recieved a response from the factory yet, but perhaps this week. I've started collecting them after running the first one and now have 4 plus the .040 classic. These seem to be everything I was looking for
in a 1/2A engine. On another note, after running my OS LA10 I would recommend them as well. It's no skinny powerhouse but is very very friendly.

I've become bored with waiting on parts and starting my DNU...another very fast and easy build. The DNU is going to be a good lead in to a SWR.