Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

SMALL Steps 2013: May 30-June 2 at Wrightsville, Arkansas

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

SMALL Steps 2013: May 30-June 2 at Wrightsville, Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SMALL Steps 2013: May 30-June 2 at Wrightsville, Arkansas

It is that time of year again to start thinking about SMALL near Little Rock, AR!

My good flying buddy Richard Ng asked to me transplate these details from another web site over to the gang here at RCU.

SMALL 2013 will take place May 30-June 2, 2013 (Thursday-Sunday) at the FARM Club Field, on the east side of Wrightsville, Arkansas.

Wrightsville is south of Little Rock. This will be the 23rd SMALL.

SMALL is for RC, Control Line, and Free Flight models of all types powered by electric motors, fuel engines .25 cu in or smaller (CL fuel engines may be larger), rubber, and even hand launch. Model Rockets of solid fuel and air/water types were flown again last year. Innovative and different from the ordinary models are welcome. The field is very large, flat, and open and can easily accommodate all of these types of flying. There is a session of indoor electric flying and I will post details when I get them.

A map to the field is at this link:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CDIQ8gEwAA

You can use the "Get Directions" button to get driving directions from your location.

GPS Users: This street address for the FARM Club Field gate works with my Garmin Nuvi GPS:

6855 Hwy 386
Little Rock, AR 72206

On my Garmin GPS, when you put "Hwy 386" into your GPS for the street, you leave off the "Hwy" prefix and just put in "386". I know it says Little Rock, but my GPS says it doesn't have a "Wrightsville" when I do a search for it and "Little Rock" works. There are differences in map databases and your GPS may give a slightly different location, but I know this works for Garmin Nuvi. Google maps puts this location at 6517 Hwy 386, Little Rock, AR 72206

Google Maps GPS Coordinates given are :+34° 35' 55.71", -92° 12' 39.83"
To use them with my Garmin Nuvi GPS, I had to enter them as :
N 34° 35' 55.7"
W092° 12' 39.8"

Bobby Moran ( [email protected] ) is the event CD.

SMALL is being hosted by the FARM Club or Fraternal Association of Radio Control Modelers Club. You will find their website here: http://farmtls.com/

Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
DeviousDave

Default RE: SMALL Steps 2013: May 30-June 2 at Wrightsville, Arkansas

Just got the word from my 'just retired but haven't figured out I don't have $#!+ to do" dad that he can go with me. Crap... now I have to do some hurried building-I just moved and don't have a shop....

I WILL be bringing one of my LMH-100 helicopters if I can pull this trip off!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on Dave Ive got plentie of junk for u to fly !! Sorry guys but the FARM Clubs web sit has changed servers and webmasters and is currently down & under construction ! I was going to CD it but my Job calls & looks as if I'll have to work that Fri & Sat. I hope not as I have a few new birds both R/C & U/C !! Bobby will CD it and do a great job as always !! We sprayed pre emerge on the field this past weeekend and it looks great !! Its a little rough though, due to the heat & drought we had just after SMALL last summer !! The well ran dry also !! Hope to see ya their !! Call if needed 501-257-7925 Dale
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, Dale. I've been craving some of that pizza from Larry's the last few months. My job is also trying it's best to prevent my trip up there this year but I'm not going down without a fight!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Larrys is still their & still goin strong !! I also will go down kicking !! Hope to see ya at SMALL !! Dale
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm Jones'in fur southern catfish and green tomato relish.. with beer of course.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

I'm Jones'in fur southern catfish and green tomato relish.. with beer of course.
I believe this justifies making an exception to the “No prune pickers allowed†rule and vote to make Steve an honorary member of our Southern Cuisine club.
al
Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 AM
LittleRock

Mr. Adams is actually a redneck born in England living in California that builds model airplanes.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 AM
skaliwag

I'd be Excommunicated in 2 days. I pick around the hush puppies.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
exocet-RCU

I just found out that I can't go. I have to go to India for three weeks for my job and I get back two days after SMALL ends. D@mn! It was one of my New Year's Resolutions to go this year.

Tim
Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 AM
skaliwag

Where to stay? My usual place does not appear to be up and running. Are they remodeling?
Would any one like to split the room cost?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:38 PM
DeviousDave

Where to stay? My usual place does not appear to be up and running. Are they remodeling?
I'd volunteer but I'll be sharing a room with my dad. definitely will be looking for a nicer area for the hotel than before.

We'll be coming in on Thursday night from the sound of it. He came over tonight and we hashed out a few details of the trip.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
skaliwag

OK... Who's going to be there and where are you going to stay??
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 PM
DeviousDave

Sorry not to get back to your PM yet Skaliwag, I have been too busy to call Dale and get the straight dope on nicer digs.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 AM
LittleRock

Better places to stay will be on the west side of Little Rock. Bad part is this makes for a 20-30 minute drive to the field.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
kwilfong

My usual roommate Hollis had to cancel this year. I'd split a room with you. George Smith & I will be at the Day's Inn by the Airport Wed-Sun.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Tee Bee

My ability to make the trip is looking more promising now. If so, my son and I will try to stay at the Days Inn at the airport, our usual digs. Unfortunately, I haven't finished any new planes to take so it'll be some of the same ole' reruns.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:09 PM
kwilfong

You tell 'em I'm coming! & Hell's coming with me! Ya hear! Hell's coming with me!! Just kidding! See y'all there!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Tee Bee

You tell 'em, Kevin! If the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we're planning a late Thursday arrival/setup. Time to blow off some dust, degunk the castor mung, and check out some batteries. I was feeling further down and out the closer the event got but now things are looking up and I've got some extra zip in my kicks.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM
DeviousDave

Made a second and third attempt at getting the first test flights on the .010 Rivets John built for me to fly for him at SMALL. We had a little trouble with the electric version he made a year or three ago, it was a combination of setup and radio failures, and the bad luck has dogged this one too.

The first test flight attempt showed it was completely unflyable, later determined to be a grossly out of balance CG. The application of a big-@$$ wood screw to the front of the airplane has this fixed. The second wound up with it being strained thru a tree....! We normally fly in a big open school field but he was feeling lazy and wanted to go to the elementary school next to his house where he flies his park flyers. Well, this thing is a little faster than a park flyer (ok, it will beat a foamy up and take it's lunch money all the way from grade school to college) and he got a lap and a half and snap-rolled it into the top of an 80 foot tree, buzz sawing it as the prop met branches on the way down. No damage.

Finally, today we got another shot or two at it and got a good trimmed flight on it. The first try didn't go so well, I gave the go signal and he threw it down wind. It snapped in about 50 feet out but didn't do much damage. We ran back home to get another wingscrew and CA for the cracked fuse, then gave it another go.... It took off with Authority and climbed right out. The flight needed about 4 clicks of down elevator and that was it. I'd say it's a pinch slower than the Yellow Jacket with it's larger fuse but the prop is just about right. It's another .020 prop cut down and reshaped, we tached it at 32,200 this morning. Speed seems to be a white-knuckle inducing 45-50mph, and it sounds GREAT. Has the stock tank on it so the flights are short-it's a gas guzzler with the added power.

It tracks nice, and comes in slowly on final but I had two problems: It would snaproll with full elevator (like he experienced when he tried to weed-eater the tree with a 2.75" prop) and I ran out of elevator on landing. Given that it didn't take more than 1/2 elevator to make nice pylon turns, I'd say it has to have the elevator travel significantly reduced because getting the CG rearward will negate any small changes in throws.

The original took a lot to get right-John doesn't use computer radios-and flew for a few flights until the radio switch failed. This is just one of those bad luck projects that has been slow to get rolling but it does fly nice. I think A lot of settings and measurements have been forgotten so it's like we're starting at zero again, but we'll get there.

This is after the 3rd crash, gotta love a light airplane!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Tee Bee

AV8RSODT, are you gonna make it this year? I thought about you yesterday as I degunked an old Black Widow and mounted it on my Pong Two. Cleared out the cobwebs and got it all working again. You may have been the last person to fly that bird. I'm planning to toss it again in the next day or so.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Tee Bee,

Yes... the plan is to make it this year with my two older sons - Nathan and Andrew. They had a great time last time we attended two years ago now (missed last year).

Work has been crazy this year for me, so not much building as I would have liked. We are still trying to pull something together.

The Pong was fun to fly last time around. Funny that you mention it... good memories.

Brian
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Tee Bee

Good to hear, Brian. Flew the Pong yesterday and she still does well. I can relate about the work issue. Seems I've been working overtime since the last SMALL. Haven't been able to complete any new models for this year's event. I'm still feeling pretty optimistic about being able to go. I REALLY want to attend again this year.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Well, I will be arriving at SMALL exactly three weeks from now, baring car trouble or unexpected delays.....

Have not got anything new ready YET, but I still have some hope that I can get something new and different ready!

I have heard a couple of interesting rumors about secret projects from other SMALL regulars....
Old 05-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Tee Bee

Ooooh! I love SMALL secrets!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.