Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Tee Dee 049/051 venturi hole size question

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tee Dee 049/051 venturi hole size question

Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tee Dee 049/051 venturi hole size question

going thru the TeeDee 049/051's i have tonight and noticed that the early model engines i have from the early 60's have a smaller diameter hole in the venturi than the later mid 70's on up with the screen..........not an exact dimension, but the early ones seem to have a .070" versus the later which are close to .110" hole........did Cox increase this dimension due to the screen?
will removing the screen hurt the suction?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM
paulgibeault

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tee Dee 049/051 venturi hole size question

The latest Cox I.D. was .117". No, removing the screen will not hurt the suction at all. The dimension was increased for more power. Cheers, Paul
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Paul, Long time no see. Last time I seen you We were at the Atlantic Zone MAAC meeting in Dartmouth N.S. Are you still building up Mouse engines?
JimWest
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: paulgibeault

The latest Cox I.D. was .117''. No, removing the screen will not hurt the suction at all. The dimension was increased for more power. Cheers, Paul
Paul, thx for replying.
i like to pop the screens out and then turn the venturis out to the edge to eliminate the step...........i use the TD's in FF so we don't need the screens, and use the venturi for the initial prime.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was having fuel draw issues several years back with a newer, larger venturi TD. Couldn't get a very consistent run in a sport plane with a 1oz Sullivan tank with standard vent. Dickeybird sent me one of his sleeved venturis that has a smaller ID. Once installed, my fuel draw issues vanished. The TD still has no problems drawing the fuel and runs pretty consistently. It may(or may not) have caused a slight loss of power, but it made the engine easier to run and the plane more enjoyable to fly without the need to fiddle with balloon tanks. Just my experience. Your mileage will surely vary. I'm not sure of the ID he used on those conversions.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
paulgibeault

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jim,

Wow, that was some time ago...!

YES, in 2010/11 I produced a small series ~(24) of what I call Open Mouse Race quality engines for $125ea.
They looked essentially just like a std. Black Widow but ran much faster (of course). Some engines even reached Europe, notably Portugal & England.
It turned out to be an exercise in essentially working for free. I didn't feel a whole lot better knowing that easily 2/3rds of my engines will never see a
contest. It turns out that interest in Mouse Race has declined a great deal & so I quit producing them. I still fly Open Mouse in Eugene, Ore. every May though.

I broke the Open Vintage Class I record in England last year with one of my Cox engines too. I'm thinking of going again to see if I can boost it further perhaps...

BTW, I don't browse this forum very often. A buddy sent me an email with the thread about the Picco P-5 engine, so I found your posting... Strangely enough,
only one P-05 has done well (that I've seen) & it's flown by the AMA National record holder Jerry Rocha.

I hope you're doing well, Jim.

Cheers, Paul ( in Leduc)