Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

.010 out of mothballs.. ahh sweet music!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.010 out of mothballs.. ahh sweet music!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default .010 out of mothballs.. ahh sweet music!

Rooting around in my 1/2A and smaller drawer a couple of days ago, I pulled out an .010 that was buried under various .049's and junk, all gummed up and dusty, wouldn't turn over. Tsk tsk. After chewing myself out for being such a slob with such a precious little engine, I proceeded to tear it down completely. All metal parts started with an overnight soak in lacquer thinners. Brushing and wiping removed all the gummy oil residue. The plastic parts were swished out in a small jar of methanol. Everything blown out and wiped clean. Oiled it up, reassembled, new piece of silicone over the needle valve, and a new fuel line from some nice small diameter silicone I bought from Texas Timers (for FF pinch offs).

Moment of truth this morning.. wife's awake, time to fire it up in the basement.

Oh yeah.. ^%$%$.. remembered my glow panel burned out late last year and all I have is a single cell NiCad starter. 1.2V don't work worth beans on Cox plugs. Hmm.. what to do.

Aha! Great idea! (uh oh) I made up a clip to attach to my Hitec charger (120V input) and set it to NiCad charge, set to 2 amps.."start".. cool, working, not hot enough. Ramp it up to 2.5A, looking good! Nice red/orange, not too much.

The macho way to test run an .010 is to hold it between thumb and forefinger of course. 5 turns out. Fueled it up with some 1/2A brew (25% nitro, 23% oil), a small suck on the intake to draw it up the line to the venturi, a tiny drop in the exhaust, flip it a couple of times to limber up. Power on the plug.. brpp.. brrp.. yeehah! I was pleased/surprised with a 3 flip start.

Whee, ran fat and rich with plug heat for a while, then nudged it into a rich 2 cycle (boy the exhaust glow is bright..?), clip off, ran out the tank. Wiped my left hand clean, let's do it again! Hmm, the plug is dead? Then it dawned on me.. the possible folly of connecting the plug to a current versus voltage regulated source. At least that's what I think took the plug out - as the element heated (which should result in increased resistance and less current flow) the charger faithfully kept the current at 2.5A. Oh well. I have a respectable collection of new plugs, thanks to scoring a handful at a swap meet some years ago.

It was just so satisfying to see and hear it spring back to life, and especially to know I hadn't ruined the poor thing with neglect. Phew! No more battery charger starts though.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: .010 out of mothballs.. ahh sweet music!

Yeah all of my engines have been sitting...havent flown for over three years, but, I got my AMA card an gonna try it again this year! I expect I'll be having several cleaning
sesssion with mine...Rog
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I have cleaned and reassembled two engines this weekend, the other my CX .11. I bench ran it a couple of times when I bought it, I think in '85 or '86 - is that possible? It has been put away without further attention since then. I was worried about what I might find but all I came across was gummy congealed oil. A little heat on the case, out with the liner and crank, then a brew of lacquer thinner and castor oil into the bearings, a piece of fuel tubing on the crank shaft and 10-15 seconds in the hand drill. Flushed it out afterwards and the crank spun freely and smoothly, no rough spots that I could detect. All back together ready to go. The carb sure is a big hunky affair on that engine. Some manufacturers have very bulky carbs relative to the bore size. This is one of them.. I've seen .40 size carbs that big.

Looking forward to firing up the CX .11 again after so long. After the snow melts that is. I have a Baby Birdie half built for it, it just fits. Yet another of my many partially completed great ideas..

Old 05-17-2013, 01:14 PM
SnApRoLl-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MJD

Rooting around in my 1/2A and smaller drawer a couple of days ago, I pulled out an .010 that was buried under various .049's and junk, all gummed up and dusty, wouldn't turn over. Tsk tsk. After chewing myself out for being such a slob with such a precious little engine, I proceeded to tear it down completely. All metal parts started with an overnight soak in lacquer thinners. Brushing and wiping removed all the gummy oil residue. The plastic parts were swished out in a small jar of methanol. Everything blown out and wiped clean. Oiled it up, reassembled, new piece of silicone over the needle valve, and a new fuel line from some nice small diameter silicone I bought from Texas Timers (for FF pinch offs).

Moment of truth this morning.. wife's awake, time to fire it up in the basement.

Oh yeah.. ^%$%$.. remembered my glow panel burned out late last year and all I have is a single cell NiCad starter. 1.2V don't work worth beans on Cox plugs. Hmm.. what to do.

Aha! Great idea! (uh oh) I made up a clip to attach to my Hitec charger (120V input) and set it to NiCad charge, set to 2 amps..''start''.. cool, working, not hot enough. Ramp it up to 2.5A, looking good! Nice red/orange, not too much.

The macho way to test run an .010 is to hold it between thumb and forefinger of course. 5 turns out. Fueled it up with some 1/2A brew (25% nitro, 23% oil), a small suck on the intake to draw it up the line to the venturi, a tiny drop in the exhaust, flip it a couple of times to limber up. Power on the plug.. brpp.. brrp.. yeehah! I was pleased/surprised with a 3 flip start.

Whee, ran fat and rich with plug heat for a while, then nudged it into a rich 2 cycle (boy the exhaust glow is bright..?), clip off, ran out the tank. Wiped my left hand clean, let's do it again! Hmm, the plug is dead? Then it dawned on me.. the possible folly of connecting the plug to a current versus voltage regulated source. At least that's what I think took the plug out - as the element heated (which should result in increased resistance and less current flow) the charger faithfully kept the current at 2.5A. Oh well. I have a respectable collection of new plugs, thanks to scoring a handful at a swap meet some years ago.

It was just so satisfying to see and hear it spring back to life, and especially to know I hadn't ruined the poor thing with neglect. Phew! No more battery charger starts though.
Glad to hear you got your old .010 running again. It's always cool to hear success stories. I have a Tee Dee .010 as well but I just cannot bring my self to run it as it is still new in box.
As far as burning out glow plugs go, don;t feel bad. I did the same thing with my Medallion .09 r/c except, I connected my glow igniter to my 12v starter input on my power panel. [] Luckily, I was able to get a new glow head from coxengines.ca and now she runs like a champ.

Shawn
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: SnApRoLl-

ORIGINAL: MJD

Aha! Great idea! (uh oh) I made up a clip to attach to my Hitec charger (120V input) and set it to NiCad charge, set to 2 amps..''start''.. cool, working, not hot enough. Ramp it up to 2.5A, looking good! Nice red/orange, not too much.

Glad to hear you got your old .010 running again. It's always cool to hear success stories. I have a Tee Dee .010 as well but I just cannot bring my self to run it as it is still new in box.
As far as burning out glow plugs go, don;t feel bad. I did the same thing with my Medallion .09 r/c except, I connected my glow igniter to my 12v starter input on my power panel. [] Luckily, I was able to get a new glow head from coxengines.ca and now she runs like a champ.

Shawn

That's kinda sad because the .010's run really well and make a LOT of power for their size... Been flying a lot of .010 powered sport racers over the last few years in particular and every flight you know you are doing something special.

The TD .020 is probably the best engine Cox ever made, the .010 is a close second. How they went so wrong with the TD .049, I don't know..

Run that sucker, you can't take it with you to the grave!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM
ggeezer

"The TD .020 is probably the best engine Cox ever made, the .010 is a close second. How they went so wrong with the TD .049, I don't know.."

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. Obviously, no one has told me before so I have happily been running TD .049s for many years and getting really good performance out of them. In fact, yesterday I started one up on a stunter which has been in mothballs for the winter and the run was as perfect as when I put it away.
I know that there are modern more powerful 1/2As but you can't beat a TD for most applications dollar wise, though they are crash sensitive with that plastic venturi molding. I too like the TD .020.

I always use a 1.2V Nicad for starting and don't have plug burnout problems. Of course the Nicad is 4 Ahr and I use short heavy wire to the clip.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 PM
SnApRoLl-

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

Run that sucker, you can't take it with you to the grave!
With my luck, I'd run it and something would happen to it. But I do have a couple PeeWee .020's that I run and they run extremely well too .

Shawn
Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM
skyraider71

While on vacation last week I dusted off my unfinished 1/2A glider
project. The 13 year old Norvel that hadn't been ran in over five
years started on the first crank with the mini starter. Very pleased!
The maiden will be this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20621.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1890998