Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Pocket P-51

Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Mustang Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pocket P-51

Hi everyone,
I just had to get on here and inform someone, whoever it may be, that I just ordered a Pocket P-51 from a cool little company called JK Aerotech. This will be my first foamie so we'll see how things go. I bought this to take to Canada with me this summer to help kill some time while I'm not working (22+ hour road trip from MS might not be a good idea for a big balsa plane). I bought an AP .061 to power this thing so I'm sure it will be a screamer. I was going to just put a Cox .049 in it but I wanted a throttle. If anyone has any advice or tips on building and flying this little thing it would be much appreciated!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pocket P-51

I had one..and like any fast .049 once they get outta control...things go bad fast....it needs a good launch..mine didnt last to long...Rog
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've built a few hand launched P-51s and they all had the same tendency to zoom towards the ground after beeing released from a hand launch. All three had the engines mounted upside down, which was the root cause of the problem. The prop shaft [thrust line] ends up being too high above the wing and this gives the nose a downward pitching force that doesn't get cancelled out until the model gets up to flying speed.
Aiming the model upwards [attempting to compensate for the tendency to dive] as you release it just makes matters worse.
Once up to speed these planes flew great and glide testing proved that the CGs allowed a decent glide back home.
If you are building a model that will take off from a rolling start, then you won't notice this issue.
P-51s with a full cowl don't look "right" to me unless the engine is mounted upside down..but a rightside up installation is possible with the semi-scale models that don't use a cowl...and this will bring the thrust line much closer to the wing.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

I used to have one of these with the JK aerotek slick mount. I was quick but tricky on launch. I agree with CP on the once you get it going thing. It behaved well once moving. I would skip the tape covering they
suggest and use low heat covering over a strip or 2 of packing tape. Good luck and report the progress. I've thought of doing another one.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Mustang Mike

Hello all,
I know this thread is pretty old but I thought I'd provide an update on my little P-51. I never was able to finish this to take to Canada so I finished it last winter. I have got to say that this plane is pretty fun. The AP 061 has been a bit of a pain for a while but I think I got all of the kinks worked out on it (I'll have to start an entire new thread on that one ). I have been flying this plane off and on for about year and a half and it has taken some serious abuse and kept on chugging. The first flight it did a nose dive from about 75 feet and I just knocked the dirt off and flew it again. The picture shown is when I first finished the plane, I don't even think it had seen fuel yet. The tape didn't hold up too well at all, I wish I had taken xanaphyst's advice and used low heat covering. Hand launches were more stressful than anything I had ever attempted, especially considering how overweight this thing is combined with an 061 that isn't running to full potential. It is starting to show its age and I'm beginning to wonder how many flights it has left in it. Soon I'm going to share the links to the flights last weekend.

Happy landings,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140424_152459.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2106439  

Last edited by Mustang Mike; 06-29-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Mustang Mike

Here are the links to the videos. I'd say my dad did a pretty good job of keeping up with this little rocket!

https://youtu.be/A3oT7i4SR3A

https://youtu.be/ltWxgeJ49Aw

https://youtu.be/9rwyYuWLBQk

https://youtu.be/MQa7pxjIVjU

https://youtu.be/J8swJAQ9j7g
Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It looks and sounds great in the video Mike..!