Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hinge tape nitro friendly?

hello all,

just a quick question, is Dubro hinge tape (Blendtherm) nitro proof? If not what do you personally use as hinges on flight control surfaces on 1/2A aircraft? CA mylar hinges perhaps?
    suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Thermodynamics, love it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: hinge tape nitro friendly?

I use mylar hinges from cut up floppy disks. Becoming a problem though as I can't find any more.

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like EZ hinges that you use thin CA glue to fasten in place. For 1/2A designs the hinges are cut in half...so a bulk pack lasts a really long time.
    Make sure you use fresh CA so it can wick in deeply.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mick1404

hello all,

just a quick question, is Dubro hinge tape (Blendtherm) nitro proof? If not what do you personally use as hinges on flight control surfaces on 1/2A aircraft? CA mylar hinges perhaps?
    I use continuous hinges made by slotting the entire TE/LE on a Dremel router table with a wafer-thin saw blade, then inserting a strip of Coverite or 21st Century fabric covering and wicking CA.

I have not used fabric covering as individual hinges yet, by that I mean as individual hinge strips inserted into cut hinge pockets, but I can't think of a reason not to. The stuff is tough (far stronger than needed to deal with the forces involved), has a glue-friendly coating on each side, and is fuel proof. And it is highly flexible. If the slot is tight inserting the hinge will be like the old phrase "playing pool with a piece of rope".

The hinge tape is not fuel proof. The only tapes I have found that will resist fuel are specialty tapes that use silicone adhesive - if you put them on a virgin surface prior to spraying everything with oil. Afterwards, good luck.
    Sorry I'm late dear, I had to help my uncle Jack off his horse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I like EZ hinges that you use thin CA glue to fasten in place. For 1/2A designs the hinges are cut in half...so a bulk pack lasts a really long time.
    I do the same and use a very thin blade for slotting. Many times I'll drill a small thru hole before inserting the hinge material - a sharpened piece of music wire works well for this. After drilling, insert the hinge, then add CA to the hole on both sides - this ensures that it will wick in all directions and get all the way to the back of the slot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db86110.gif 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	1869437  
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am a dinosaur... I like sewn hinges made from carpet thread... incredible flexibility easy to install once you have done one or two and inexpensive. I have been using them for 50 years and still have one or two of the planes from my teens that have sewn hinges.
    Bob Furr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How does one make sewn hinges? I've seen them on a plane once before but couldn't figure out how the guy did it.

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used saw hinges (figure eight style, comes from CL) but I think it is a little tricky to get the right tension. If the tension is not enough there will be some slop in the joint.
    I'm no fan of CA hinges either, whenever I use them they end up feeling very stiff. Not sure if I've used to much CA but there is a fibre surface that gets hard from the CA glue.

My latest favorite is to use the covering it self. It gives a very lightweight, no slop connection, and there is no effort needed to bend them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: icerinkdad

I am a dinosaur... I like sewn hinges made from carpet thread... incredible flexibility easy to install once you have done one or two and inexpensive. I have been using them for 50 years and still have one or two of the planes from my teens that have sewn hinges.
    Bob Furr
    I've used sewn hinges on a number of planes, but confess I do like the CA mylar hinges. The sewn hinges I had have all rotted away and will have to be replaced before the plane could be flown. For larger planes, I like the hinge points - they move freely, are easy to install and when recessed into the control surface, will keep the gap to a minimum.

Here's a link to a page with pictures of several different styles of sewn hinges.

http://www.coxengineforum.com/t3359p...ght=sewn+hinge
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't like cutting a slot in thin wood. I use the covering material about 1/2" wide by 3/4" long and iron them together with the sticky sides together. This is then ironed on top and bottom of the stab (say) and then the elevator is pushed up and ironed on to that. The rest of the plane is then covered normally. They are pretty good. I never had one fail in flight. Just lawn darts kill them. Good for little planes, not .25 and up. Iwas kind of hoping for a newer quicker idea while reading this thread.
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've used the continuous hinge fabric covering method down to 3/32" balsa with success. Once you bond the hinge in, the strength of the wood is restored and probably enhanced (a few small holes drilled into the hinge slot help CA flow). The hardest I've beat on them is on a Simple 400 with too much power that was clocked at about 125 mph. I used to snap roll and tumble it and do stupid stuff with it at full speed (I ran CF down the wing top and bottom high point and glassed the center section..). When I finally strained it through the neighbour's maple tree at full tilt doing something idiotic, the nose of the fuse was torn off and the wings battered, but the tail surfaces survived intact other than some dents on the LE from flying through branches.

Doing this neatly does require some kind of a fixture - I bought a plastic Dremel router base years ago, and I have my old AC Dremel mounted permanently in that. Freehand won't work.

I've always loved sewn hinges for the freedom of movement and simplicity. I hate the appearance however, at least on some models - on others it fits right in.

Sorry I'm late dear, I had to help my uncle Jack off his horse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sewn hinges are the best hinge I've found in over 40 years of modeling. Strong as heck, cheap as dirt, incredibly free, self aligning, and will last a very long time. Easy to apply to very thin surfaces found on 1/2a or electric planes but great for larger planes too.

Even if you insist on using other inferior hinges, keep a needle and thread in your flight box for when those other hinges break. You'll be able to sew on a replacement hinge in a jiffy and be back in the air.

Why use anything else?
    I fly aircraft at the leading edge of trailing edge technology!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lots of ways to skin a cat, huh? Like CP, I tend to use cut-down CA hinges on .049 birds. On the smaller models, I've been using floppy disk mylar strips with thin CA. In thin surfaces, it takes a slow hand to cut the slots with an Xacto, something that's getting more difficult with age and degrading eyesight.
    Tee Bee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It don't know what end result your shooting for, but I used cloth and dope and or pinking tape and dope. I used an old peice of linen once also.
    I don\'\'\'\'t always crash, but when I do!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I always used to do that when I doped the planes, used a nice nylon/polyester material.  It was good.  I used the clear cement instead of dope, but doped over it.  Too hard to do the dope thing now.  My mom used to complain when I was a kid about the smell, but I did it anyway.  Now the upper management does the complaining.......  I kind of like the smell. I find the sewn hinges have side play and wiggle too much.  Maybe I did it wrong.
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some different types of sewn hinges. The control line planes were done by my grandson......Gene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo38769.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	1869699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25853.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	1869700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82292.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1869701  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: exocet-RCU How does one make sewn hinges? I've seen them on a plane once before but couldn't figure out how the guy did it.
    It is not hard at all. One takes a needle with thread. Tie a sufficient knot at the end so it won't pull through. Start your hinge about 1/8" (3mm) in from elevator edge. Come up and over and pierce the opposite side of the stabilizer, 3mm from edge, about 1.5mm up from directly across (sewing each loop of the hinge going up). Sew in a Figure-8 pattern, moving each stitch over 3mm until you have a sufficient length hinge. On a half-A RC sport model, I do about 6 to 8 stitches per hinge. This is for 1/16" to 1/8" thick balsa. For larger, move stitch in further and space each stitch a little wider.

End stitch with a knot. You can use the tip of the needle to move the loose knot down toward the surface prior to tightening. Use a drop of thin CA to set the thread at hinge ends in the balsa, so they don't come loose.

I like them because they are frictionless, good for weak actuators and servos.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gene6029 Here are some different types of sewn hinges. The control line planes were done by my grandson......Gene
    Gene, those are sharp looking CL planes, your grandson is a good builder and finisher. I particularly liked the legacy Goldberg Wizard.

That Sterling Minnie Mambo is smartly decorated, must catch attention at the field. Looks like it is controlled by escapement or magnetic pulse proportional actuator.
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aspeed I always used to do that when I doped the planes, used a nice nylon/polyester material.* It was good.* I used the clear cement instead of dope, but doped over it.* Too hard to do the dope thing now.* My mom used to complain when I was a kid about the smell, but I did it anyway.* Now the upper management does the complaining.......* I kind of like the smell. I find the sewn hinges have side play and wiggle too much.* Maybe I did it wrong.[/b]
    Might be the thread you are using. Carpet thread has very little slop in it. I was going to try Dyneema or Spectra next time for hinges, it has no give to it.

I usually retreat to my man cave (the garage) to do my doping. Then my upper management doesn't complain.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To get back to the Original Poster. (thought we forgot about him didn't we) You could wipe some fuel on the back of the Blenderm tape and see if the glue wipes off. Maybe seal the edges with PU clear or something if you want to go that route. I like the Monokote type hinges myself for the economy and the matching colour. I tried the Dacron thread for hinges, but stopped after one or two tries. I have a 1/2A CL combat plane from a swap meet that is drilled for thread hinges, so am interested. It was very loose too and I took all the thread out. Maybe I will do a few separate figure eights and not do it all at once, that seems better.
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aspeed To get back to the Original Poster. (thought we forgot about him didn't we)
    Er no, aspeed. The OP stated:
    Original: mick1404 just a quick question, is Dubro hinge tape (Blendtherm) nitro proof? If not what do you personally use as hinges on flight control surfaces on 1/2A aircraft? CA mylar hinges perhaps?
    So, discussion of alternative hinges is within scope.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, maybe he forgot about us?
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL
    I don\'\'\'\'t always crash, but when I do!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He's from down under, a 16 hour time difference from where I am at (Mountain). So, similar to BC floating a message out on sea tide, and waiting next day for return reply by returning tide, I'd wait.
    George Hostler