Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

killer bee backplate VS surestart backplate

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

killer bee backplate VS surestart backplate

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 AM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default killer bee backplate VS surestart backplate

If I take a surestart backplate and remove the choke tube plus drill the hole to 3/32.....Is it now a killerbee backplate ???
Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
Default RE: killer bee backplate VS surestart backplate

Warren Leadbeatter, a Cox engine guru posted an article on E-Bay:

[link=http://www.ebay.com/gds/cox-surestart-hop-up/10000000005390559/g.html]E-Bay Buying Guides - Cox Surestart Hop up[/link]

In there he describes modifications to the backplate to improve performance. Can't tell you if you'll have a Killer Bee backplate with the mod, but think you're probably not too far from one.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The only KB backplate I ever laid eyes on measured the intake at .180"...[if I remember correctly].
I remember comparing it to other backplates I had laying around and noting that none of them had enough extra meat to drill out to match the KB.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

SureStarts are the latest interation of the odd 4 bolt bulkhead mount venturi back. The intake is narrowed by flattening both left and right side of the hole, so it is sort of like a crude oval. Opening it up to 3/16" of an inch is 0.1875, which is not too far off from the KB.

Then I gather CP that the earlier ones used less plastic, which then of course would be hard to modify. I guess these were targeted for the then Cox series of cheap ready-to-flies, which of a smaller wingspan of what? 16", wanted a better fuel draw and slight reduction in power was warranted I imagine.

Going with a Tee Dee sub-induction piston/cylinder assembly with a Glo-Bee head and modifying back by drilling it out probably gets close to if not next to a KB.

I suppose if one wants to replace a Cox Pee Wee intended plane with a SureStart, probably could leave the tank back alone, put in a glow plug head adapter to lower compression, place prop backwards to reduce thrust or use a throttle ring and 3rd channel. Ken Willard's Virus comes to mind. It would be a hoot on .049 power.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the banana engines i would always take the screen off the intake and carve the opening to a nice trumpet shape. to get more air flow i would press the valve body out and file flats on both sides.