Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

killer bee backplate VS surestart backplate

If I take a surestart backplate and remove the choke tube plus drill the hole to 3/32.....Is it now a killerbee backplate ???
    Big fun comes in 1/2A packages

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: killer bee backplate VS surestart backplate

Warren Leadbeatter, a Cox engine guru posted an article on E-Bay:

E-Bay Buying Guides - Cox Surestart Hop up

In there he describes modifications to the backplate to improve performance. Can't tell you if you'll have a Killer Bee backplate with the mod, but think you're probably not too far from one.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only KB backplate I ever laid eyes on measured the intake at .180"...[if I remember correctly].
    I remember comparing it to other backplates I had laying around and noting that none of them had enough extra meat to drill out to match the KB.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SureStarts are the latest interation of the odd 4 bolt bulkhead mount venturi back. The intake is narrowed by flattening both left and right side of the hole, so it is sort of like a crude oval. Opening it up to 3/16" of an inch is 0.1875, which is not too far off from the KB.

Then I gather CP that the earlier ones used less plastic, which then of course would be hard to modify. I guess these were targeted for the then Cox series of cheap ready-to-flies, which of a smaller wingspan of what? 16", wanted a better fuel draw and slight reduction in power was warranted I imagine.

Going with a Tee Dee sub-induction piston/cylinder assembly with a Glo-Bee head and modifying back by drilling it out probably gets close to if not next to a KB.

I suppose if one wants to replace a Cox Pee Wee intended plane with a SureStart, probably could leave the tank back alone, put in a glow plug head adapter to lower compression, place prop backwards to reduce thrust or use a throttle ring and 3rd channel. Ken Willard's Virus comes to mind. It would be a hoot on .049 power.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

with the banana engines i would always take the screen off the intake and carve the opening to a nice trumpet shape. to get more air flow i would press the valve body out and file flats on both sides.
    \"I\'ll take the money- and you can have the rope\"