Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: New Cox fuel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New Cox fuel

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDBNH&P=7I wonder if this stuff is true to the original recipe ?I also wonder what their motivation was to introduce this since they are in the electric business. Is 1/2a making a comeback?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Cox fuel

I forgot, who owns cox nowadays anyway?...Rog
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world,it happens everyday!

This is basically the Hobbico 1/2A Fuel (now discontinued I believe) in the Cox bottle with label since they own the Cox brand.

Best Regards, Matt
    http://www.exmodelengines.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why does it matter? You can mix your own for just a little more for a GALLON!

Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Didn't Hobbico buy fuel maker O'Donnell, giving them fuel making capability?

Cox Models 1/2-A Fuel Product

Above website referred to by Tower Hobbies, Cox 1/2-A Fuel doesn't state what the oil is, except that content is 18%. I think my next buy will be the usual aircraft mix with sufficient nitro and add Klotz BeNol Racing Castor Oil to it.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

I think my next buy will be the usual aircraft mix with sufficient nitro and add Klotz BeNol Racing Castor Oil to it.
    This has been my approach, except with car fuel. I buy Morgan's Sidewinder Pro in 20%N/10%O and in 30%N/10%O, then mix the two along with BeNol to get the blend I want. With the initial low oil content, you can add castor and not dilute the nitro/methanol content too much. Although Tower's site states that the oil content in Sidewinder Pro is 10% castor, it is actually a 50/50 blend of synthetic and castor oil.
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hopefully someone that has used it will chime in and give us the scoop. Until then, I'm going to stick with my SIG Champion and Glow Plug Boy fuels.

I would second the use of GloPlugBoy Fuel, a full (18% castor) 24% nitro fuel. The Cox engines will love the blend, and will reward you with many hours of use.

Stay clear of synth oil blends in the Cox engines, IMO.
    1/2a flyer !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually Remby, I was able to locate the recommendations from Cox International Canada. Bernie there recommends at least an oil content of 20%, with which half is Castor oil for sport model use. The use of synthetic helps to cut down on the varnish build up. Yes, you are safe to use a higher content Castor oil, but there appears to be merit in using a synthetic mix with the Castor. I've attached the file I downloaded from Cox International for FYI.

Not saying your fuel is inadequate. I'm sure that the all Castor oil used in it is good. I can't say whether a decrease by 2% over the recommended is that significant.

I'd say a greater problem with model airplane use is setting the mixture too lean. That cuts down on the amount of available oil to keep the engine cool and adequately lubricated. It is a good way to quickly shorten the life of any 2 stroke engine, IMO. [:-]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sig 25% Champion fuel meets Cox International's recommendations.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Remby

I would second the use of GloPlugBoy Fuel, a full (18% castor) 24% nitro fuel.
    The gentleman behind GloPlugBoy fuel passed away a few months back. Bernie, of COX International, spoke with his widow and she indicated that it was essentially a one man operation, that she was not involved in the business at all and that it would not be continued. There may be some old stock being sold off, but no fuel will be blended at this time.
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Andrew

The gentleman behind GloPlugBoy fuel passed away a few months back. Bernie, of COX International, spoke with his widow and she indicated that it was essentially a one man operation, that she was not involved in the business at all and that it would not be continued. There may be some old stock being sold off, but no fuel will be blended at this time.

I didn't know he passed away. That's very sad to hear. I have been using Glow Plug Boy 1/2a fuels for almost the last 2 years now and have always had excellent results. The full synthetic blend for my old Testors .049's and the castor / synthetic blend for my Cox and O.K. Cub engines.