Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

HOB Super Decathalon .10 Anyone??

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HOB Super Decathalon .10 Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Quiggs36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOB Super Decathalon .10 Anyone??

Anyone have any tips on this Airplane? I've got a os .10 waiting for a home.
This is my 1st HOB kit. I like it so far. Will put HS81s for R/E/A and HS55 f/throttle.

This plane was built for gas. Electrifying would be a "PITA"
Looks like I'll come in at about 26oz

Right thrust is built in. Is it squirly on the ground?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-2003, 04:51 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: HOB Super Decathalon .10 Anyone??

Quiggs36:

Any taildragger that size will be somewhat squirrelly on the ground. Fact of life.

Bill.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:39 PM
wild fred-OLD

I had a freind with one w/ a norvel 074, was a little heavily built. flew marginal. then he put a norvel 15 in it, and it flew fine, he even put skis on it and flew on snow. there are pix of it on the hardin county flying colors webpage, it is on ama club links if you want to see it; he got the name vlad the impaler with it, as he impaled it on the pole supporting the safety fence one day, and it spun around on the pole a few times; was pretty funny! i think it will be ok at 26 oz. w/ an os 10, but if it lacks power, put a norvel 15 on it; same weight, lot more power.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:09 PM
redsplatter

I have the same kit and engine. Haven't built yet but hopefully soon. Curious as to your .10, is it the fp or the fsr?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Quiggs36

Iv'e got the .10 LA (L ack of A uthority ) Have had good luck with the .15 LA's. Not great power, however they always ran.

I actually have a Norvell .15. While breaking it in, it did just that....I broke it. It has locked up. I'll gladly send it to a Norvell expert free of charge. If you can make it run it is yours. It will probably just sit in the box otherwise.

If I apply myself, I will have this thing in the air w/pics before I need skis.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:18 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Kevin:

Ive heard of this lock-up before. Seems to be a result of too little oil on the initial runs. Pull the plug and the backplate, let it soak in some light oil, take it out every now and then to try turning it. Should break free fore you.

But if you're serious about tossing it, toss it my way. I'll see if I can get it free and send it back to you.

Bill.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:07 PM
zoomzoooie

Use a heat gun to heat the cylinder up if it is not breaking free. The Norvels need attention in the break in period because of this very tight piston/cylinder fit. You will notice that it is still tight with the head removed. This is normal. This fit is what makes them such a power house! Make sure the connecting rod is not bent. The .074 had trouble with breaking rods when not broken in correctly.

William is right. Let it soak in oil over night with the head off and at TDB. The anzodized piston needs to become oil saturated. Once you have it turning again. Use the heat gun to heat the cylinder for each break in start. This will expand the cylinder allow it to turn with less binding untill the engine is broken in. Don't run rich. It will not heat up enough and won't break in correctly if it is to rich. Once it is broken in it will start easliy with out the heat gun but should still have bit of tightness at TDC.

ZZ
Old 02-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quiggs36

I actually have a Norvell .15. While breaking it in, it did just that....I broke it. It has locked up. I'll gladly send it to a Norvell expert free of charge. If you can make it run it is yours. It will probably just sit in the box otherwise.
I have several .15's that were hard starters, but eventually good runners. I also have 2 NIB's that squeak at TDC, even with a good coating of air tool oil -- these two I expect will take a little more care and feeding to break in -- and I will heat both before attempting to start them.

If yours is currently locked up (did it lock up during running or while trying to start it?), soaking in oil may not be enough to free it. You may have to heat the cylinder to get enough expansion to break it loose. Before applying too much pressure to the crank, remove the crankcase rear plug and make sure that you are turning the crank the correct direction to pull the piston down rather than pushing it thru TDC. The tightness will only increase as you approach TDC. Secondly, you're more likely to bend the connecting rod when it is under compression rather than damage it under tension.

In any event, you will find a number of folks in this forum that have extensive small engine (NORVEL and COX) experience and who could get your engine up and running for you. Don't trash it or leave it in the box.
the "other" Andrew