Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Retracts For HOB's

Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retracts For HOB's

Am finishing up a HOB ME109 and it is a great kit. When finished I will move on to an HOB P-47 then a Focke Wulff 190...all by HOB. I bought these kits years ago on ebey and I think I paid 30 or 35 bucks for them. I wish I could find them now for that ptice!!!!!!!!! I would like to put retracts in the P47 and the FW190. I have read some posts concerning this but I can't remember what retracts they used. Can someone recommend a good retract that will fit in these 2 models? I have read some good reviews on the HOB kits. I can't wait to fly these birds. I guess I need their P 51 to balance out the hangar........2 Allied planes and 2 Axis planes. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Wagon1

Default RE: Retracts For HOB's

Hi Steve, I can't help you with your retract question, but I'd love to hear about your build. Do you have any pics? Very interested in this line of kits. Tower doesn't seem to have them in stock anymore.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get them ( kits, not retracts) direct from HOB. There are a few here and a little cheaper.

http://selecthobbies.com/kitdata.htm

near the bottom of the page.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will have to run Robart 1/2A retracts. One big problem is that you need a regular 180 Degree retract servo for this. that just takes up a bunch of space and heavy.

adding retracts adds a bunch of weight on these planes. I have done them and will do again on some of the HOB planes others will just be hand launch.

The latest set I have gone with is to use HS 65 HB servos one for each side and get a 180 mixing board from Servo city. This helps with the space issue but the weight is still there.

One other option if you want to go to a air set up is to shop around on the electric ducted fan sites as they sell the super small air retract sets. the air tank can be mounted in the aft section of the fuselage. this is good if running a 10-15 size engine anyway.

the e-flight retracts are just to deep as they are 1" thick which means you need a wing thats 1 1/8 inch thick.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Steve Westphal

The ME109 is about finished but I will try to do a build thread on the FW190 and the P-47. The Messerschmitt was a good build. Quality kit with very good fits throughout the process. We are leaving the landing gear of as our field won't accommodate any wheels smaller than 3 or 4 inches. If I hit the lottery I promised the club that I would pave a strip for them!!! Anyway, if anyone has any comments or suggestions on building the FW190 or the P-47 I would appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on all of my HOB 1/2 kits I dont use the 1/32 ply for the fus at all just adds weight. these kits are over built in the fus.

lighter flies better. also I forgot to add E flight has or had some small air retracts also.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-set-EFLGP0150

these are the same ones made by Sapac or the same ones Sapac carried. I have this set and a tri gear set for the bonaza. i have used these in a Sapac Viper jet. it was 4 lbs and held up well even in a off the paved runway into the grass landing.