Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Cox .051 R/C Engine Hi-Perf Glow Head

I have a Cox .051 R/C engine that is nothing short of a screamer. I bought it in about 1993 or so and I would like to buy a spare glow head for it. I was told, here on the board, that it came with a hi-compression glow head from the factory. First of all, is that true? Secondly,is this glow head the Cox #1702 hi-compression one that I find on one of the Cox parts lists? If not....what glow head does this use? This engine is terrific. It readily pulls planes that are designated for .09 to .15. I know that this engine is out of production and it demands a high dollar price. Even in used condition I see them at $150.00 to $175.00. As I mentioned, I would like to have some "spare parts" around. Thirdly...are the remaining parts special to this engine or not? In other words....does it use a stock piston, cylinder, crank and rod, etc? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I would love to keep this engine running for years. Thanks!
    Steve Westphal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Cox .051 R/C Engine Hi-Perf Glow Head

The parts that are special to the TD .051R/C are mostly the carb and plastic front end that attaches it. The muffler assembly is also only made for this engine. If I were able, I'd buy one of the muffler assemblies-I have mine on a 4:1 gear reduction unit, and one of the muffler screws failed. No idea which cylinder it uses, the muffling makes SPI a no-go.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The cylinder for the TD05RC is an .051 cylinder with a #5 stamped on the exhaust port.
    It is also ground on the outside for muffler and has no sub port induction.
    There are not many more rare Cox pieces than a replacement TD05RC piston and cylinder combo...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's around when I got mine 94 I think tower only offered them for about a year....sorry no spare parts here...I JB welded around the upper and lower section of the muffler circle...helps keep the goo dripping to a minimum...Rog
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world,it happens everyday!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A band from a Soda can will stop the leak around the muffler. The gap is too large to be an accident, it is possibly there to reduce the powerloss from adding a muffler. Might have been a first try before they decided to make it non SPI...

I have run a few different heads and they all sort of work, but I've had the best results with a head that takes a Turbo plug. The high compression ones do need a few extra head shims, while he low compression head is a little too low on compression for 10% nitro. Here is a little video of it on the regular low compression head and a graupner 6x3 prop;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEGKeaqu8Go[/youtube]