Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox .051 R/C Engine Hi-Perf Glow Head

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .051 R/C Engine Hi-Perf Glow Head

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox .051 R/C Engine Hi-Perf Glow Head

I have a Cox .051 R/C engine that is nothing short of a screamer. I bought it in about 1993 or so and I would like to buy a spare glow head for it. I was told, here on the board, that it came with a hi-compression glow head from the factory. First of all, is that true? Secondly,is this glow head the Cox #1702 hi-compression one that I find on one of the Cox parts lists? If not....what glow head does this use? This engine is terrific. It readily pulls planes that are designated for .09 to .15. I know that this engine is out of production and it demands a high dollar price. Even in used condition I see them at $150.00 to $175.00. As I mentioned, I would like to have some "spare parts" around. Thirdly...are the remaining parts special to this engine or not? In other words....does it use a stock piston, cylinder, crank and rod, etc? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I would love to keep this engine running for years. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 PM
DeviousDave

Default RE: Cox .051 R/C Engine Hi-Perf Glow Head

The parts that are special to the TD .051R/C are mostly the carb and plastic front end that attaches it. The muffler assembly is also only made for this engine. If I were able, I'd buy one of the muffler assemblies-I have mine on a 4:1 gear reduction unit, and one of the muffler screws failed. No idea which cylinder it uses, the muffling makes SPI a no-go.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 PM
66Malibu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cylinder for the TD05RC is an .051 cylinder with a #5 stamped on the exhaust port.
It is also ground on the outside for muffler and has no sub port induction.
There are not many more rare Cox pieces than a replacement TD05RC piston and cylinder combo...
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

That's around when I got mine 94 I think tower only offered them for about a year....sorry no spare parts here...I JB welded around the upper and lower section of the muffler circle...helps keep the goo dripping to a minimum...Rog
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A band from a Soda can will stop the leak around the muffler. The gap is too large to be an accident, it is possibly there to reduce the powerloss from adding a muffler. Might have been a first try before they decided to make it non SPI...

I have run a few different heads and they all sort of work, but I've had the best results with a head that takes a Turbo plug. The high compression ones do need a few extra head shims, while he low compression head is a little too low on compression for 10% nitro. Here is a little video of it on the regular low compression head and a graupner 6x3 prop;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEGKeaqu8Go[/youtube]