Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

COX .051 R/C ENGINE GLOW HEAD AND PLUG

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COX .051 R/C ENGINE GLOW HEAD AND PLUG

Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default COX .051 R/C ENGINE GLOW HEAD AND PLUG

I have a Cox .051 R/C engine with throttle that screams. While the original glow head still works, I know that it will not last indefinitely so I want a back up or 2 in the box. I will purchase a new hi-perf glow head and am interested in buying one of the Gelbreath hi-perf heads along with a Nelson hot plug. Does anyone have advice on using this combo? It is not too expensive but am wondering just how much improvement to expect with this set up. One can get one of these combos for about 25 or 30 bucks all in. The motor screams now and I can't imagine it screaming even more but I will try!! Any tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I flew a plane designated for an .09 to .15 and this motor handled it easily. I wish I had purchased 3 or 4 of these at that time in 1994 or so. I paid less that 45 dollars for it from AHC. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: COX .051 R/C ENGINE GLOW HEAD AND PLUG

For the smallest motors like under .09, I like to use a Turbo plug because it disturbs less volume in the combustion chamber than the Nelson plug.  There is more selection of heat ranges in Turbo plugs too.  Nelson plugs are very good however.  The conversion heads were used for a short term when Cox heads and Norvel heads seemed to be discontinued.  Now they seem to be available again, I personally just use Merlin plugs because they are cheap and run the same as the others. (3 for $15 with a threaded clamp included.)  It is always fun to try them all and try different shims to see if it may be a little faster though.