Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Common parts TD vs. Medallions

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Common parts TD vs. Medallions

Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM
VUgearhead
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common parts TD vs. Medallions

Just curious if there are common or interchangeable parts to these two Cox motors? I know some things are different, like the piston, crank and throttle body/NVA.

I would think the backplates are common, but what about the thrust washer?

Are the throttle bodies interchangeable (are they dimensionally the same)? What about the crankcase?

The only common part #'s in the documentation are the prop spinner and screw.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Common parts TD vs. Medallions

The prop drivers are dimensionally the same-but the TD one is anodised gold-and should have a thin steel or fibre shim washer behind the prop driver-both the anodising and the shim washer are absent in the Medallion. The plastic carb housings (I refer to them as such-because calling them 'throttle body' is incorrect-the throttle body would be the part that contains the rotor, throttle arm and NVA in the TD 05 R/C-and as such is available as a spare in its own right from Cox Int'l) are interchangeable-but the respective NVAs are quite different-so those parts would have to accompany any swap. As you surmised-the backplates too are interchangeable.
There are not too many parts from each that are common-ie the same identical component is used in each engine-only the case, collet, the prop screw/spinner and backplate-(OK if you want to be really picky.....the head gasket!)-but virtually all parts are interchangeable. Not all will have an effect positive or negative on performance though, if interchanged.............the parts with the biggest effect are the piston/liner set, the crankshaft, and the glowhead-and these three are completely different between the two variants.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 PM
VUgearhead
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, ffkiwi.

I just wanted to know if some of the TD aftermarket parts would work on a medallion, like the pressure backplate. Also, if the intake venturi (plastic intake housing) breaks on my medallion, could I use the metal aftermarket one available and then find a TD NVA to get it back up and running.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
ffkiwi

Absolutely-and a TD carb setup might well yield you a slight performance increase over the standard Medallion. The pressure backplate of course will fit the Medallion. I'm in the process of acquiring some of those metal housings myself-but as I have a heap of TDs from 010 to 15s it's going to cost me a fortune to do the lot...... Ebay vendor 'ridenfligh' does them-as well as some neat 020 radial mounts and a range of clever cylindrical wrenches for tightening up the venturis.......worth a look if you're browsing Ebay

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
hllywdb

The aluminium pieces from ridenfligh are top notch. I have used them on a number of engines. The TD (current stock from Bernie) piston/cylinder also work fine and give a performance boost as well. The high compression head, or a Nelson/Galbreath setup will also work great. By the time you get done the performance is not far off from a TD when running a 5.7X3 prop. The TD pulls ahead more with the smaller props.