Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Common parts TD vs. Medallions

Just curious if there are common or interchangeable parts to these two Cox motors? I know some things are different, like the piston, crank and throttle body/NVA.

I would think the backplates are common, but what about the thrust washer?

Are the throttle bodies interchangeable (are they dimensionally the same)? What about the crankcase?

The only common part #'s in the documentation are the prop spinner and screw.
    If you can\'\'t put it in your car, or climb into it, then what good is it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Common parts TD vs. Medallions

The prop drivers are dimensionally the same-but the TD one is anodised gold-and should have a thin steel or fibre shim washer behind the prop driver-both the anodising and the shim washer are absent in the Medallion. The plastic carb housings (I refer to them as such-because calling them 'throttle body' is incorrect-the throttle body would be the part that contains the rotor, throttle arm and NVA in the TD 05 R/C-and as such is available as a spare in its own right from Cox Int'l) are interchangeable-but the respective NVAs are quite different-so those parts would have to accompany any swap. As you surmised-the backplates too are interchangeable.
    There are not too many parts from each that are common-ie the same identical component is used in each engine-only the case, collet, the prop screw/spinner and backplate-(OK if you want to be really picky.....the head gasket!)-but virtually all parts are interchangeable. Not all will have an effect positive or negative on performance though, if interchanged.............the parts with the biggest effect are the piston/liner set, the crankshaft, and the glowhead-and these three are completely different between the two variants.

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Thanks, ffkiwi.

I just wanted to know if some of the TD aftermarket parts would work on a medallion, like the pressure backplate. Also, if the intake venturi (plastic intake housing) breaks on my medallion, could I use the metal aftermarket one available and then find a TD NVA to get it back up and running.
    If you can\'\'t put it in your car, or climb into it, then what good is it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Absolutely-and a TD carb setup might well yield you a slight performance increase over the standard Medallion. The pressure backplate of course will fit the Medallion. I'm in the process of acquiring some of those metal housings myself-but as I have a heap of TDs from 010 to 15s it's going to cost me a fortune to do the lot...... Ebay vendor 'ridenfligh' does them-as well as some neat 020 radial mounts and a range of clever cylindrical wrenches for tightening up the venturis.......worth a look if you're browsing Ebay

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The aluminium pieces from ridenfligh are top notch. I have used them on a number of engines. The TD (current stock from Bernie) piston/cylinder also work fine and give a performance boost as well. The high compression head, or a Nelson/Galbreath setup will also work great. By the time you get done the performance is not far off from a TD when running a 5.7X3 prop. The TD pulls ahead more with the smaller props.