Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Wen Mac 049

Wen Mac 049

I picked up a Wen Mac 049 engine with another engine I bought.

It's marked 'AMF' 'Wen Mac' on one side of the case & 'Mk XIII 049' on the other.

It's fitted with the Rotomatic starter and appears to be un run although it does appear
    to have been mounted to something at one stage. It has no prop washer.

Apart from some small marks where the mounting screws were fitted & some minor
    marks on the cooling fins (I suspect from the screwdriver used to mount it) it appears
    new although it has no packaging or instructions.

Is it worth anything to collectors or should I just run it, at least until the glow head blows?

John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Wen Mac 049

Maybe you need one of these for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38591.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	1895228  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Dakota!

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have two flying platforms with Wen Macs on them. One has an exhaust throttle on it. I guess I will put on the auction site.
    Steve Westphal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Order a Norvel as soon as it is sold. It would be a good trade. I think a conversion head is available for the Wen Mac if you keep it.I forget who, Texas Timers, Galbraith?
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aspeed

* I think a conversion head is available for the Wen Mac if you keep it.*I forget who, Texas Timers, Galbraith?
    MECOA make it-part number 911-047 $12.99

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

So, practically worthless then?

And a conversion head would allow me to keep using it
    if (when!) the glow head dies?

Interested in it Vauxhall?

After my Roaring 20 experience I think electric will suit me best
    for small models.

Go on, say it! [&o]

John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Boomerang1, I have sent you a PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to fly control line using that engine when I was a kid. There was a plastic model that came with a WenMac that flew pretty good. My experience was that engine did not last long - but they were cheap enought that we could afford to replace them. The glow plug held up well - it was loss of compression that was the problem.
    Glow Head #6, UltraSport #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it were me, I'd run it and enjoy it. I have a few Testors / McCoy which are pretty much the same as the Wen Mac's and they run great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it's bot the black spring starter style housing on it then it may not be a strong runner but it's both a reliable runner and SUPER EASY TO START ! ! ! ! !

I've got one and the big plus is that it's simply never failed to be running after three or less starting attempts. And when it does give troubles it was always because I'd messed up with my priming. But close the exhaust and dribble a little fuel on the open ledge of the port then wind back 3/4 of a turn and it was almost always running a millisecond later. I probably only had to try it again about one in ten times. And it always started on the second try.

Mine is destined to go into a Dakota at some point. They seem made for each other.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

If it's bot the black spring starter style housing on it then it may not be a strong runner but it's both a reliable runner and SUPER EASY TO START ! ! ! ! !
    I have a few of those style engines and they run plenty strong. Fuel will play a big part in how those engines run. They run best on 15% non castor based fuel but will run weak and crappy on high nitro fuels. In fact, When Testors took over, they stated in the instructions to only use synthetic based fuel with no higher than 15% nitro content and NO castor oil! When I was a kid, I ran out of Testors fuel once, so I tried using Cox fuel and it ran like garbage and burned up the glow head.

ORIGINAL: BMatthews
    I've got one and the big plus is that it's simply never failed to be running after three or less starting attempts. And when it does give troubles it was always because I'd messed up with my priming. But close the exhaust and dribble a little fuel on the open ledge of the port then wind back 3/4 of a turn and it was almost always running a millisecond later. I probably only had to try it again about one in ten times. And it always started on the second try.
    That's pretty much the same with mine. I've read where people always underestimated those engines but in reality, they are very reliable and quite powerful.

Shawn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want a comparison, I checked a bunch of .049's that were on the shelf in the basement.  I don't think they were outstanding examples, just random. The Wen Mac went 19,500 rpm, the TD went 22,900 rpm, the GZ 17,000 rpm, VA 22,900, Stels 23,800, Norvel 22,500rpm.  These were all on the same 10% fuel and the same prop. APC 4.2 - 4".  Which is as small as I would go on most of these motors.  Looks like I forgot the reedies that day.  They would be a bit slower than the Wen Mac I think?  There was also a Wen Mac/McCoy reedie too but I don't have any of those. 
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those are interesting numbers aspeed. I never thought to try my own Wen-Mac on anything other than a 5x3.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....