Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox reedies cast cases versus extruded

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox reedies cast cases versus extruded

Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 AM
VUgearhead
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox reedies cast cases versus extruded

First off, my apologyif this has been answered elsewhere, but I did try to search the forum and other sources before posting here.

In terms of the two types of crankcases available for Cox reedies, the cast case and the extruded(or solid billet)one, can someone summarize the differences in reliablilty, performance, lifespan, personal experience between the two?

Also, are there different requirements or handling that the cast engines need that is different from the other case type (i.e. - more castor in the fuel, no electric starter, etc.)?

Thanks for helping to clarify.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cox reedies cast cases versus extruded

The extruded cases are superior as far as longevity goes. Even moreso for the colored ones. These ones are sulphuric anodized and colored with a sealer. These ones are the longest lived of the bunch.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:42 PM
SnApRoLl-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The die cast crankcases also use a different size gasket reed retainer and (If I'm not mistaking) a different size back plate. As far as performance goes, I'm not sure as I never run one.

Shawn
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DC ones do have a larger reed retainer. It will still allow you to fit a DC case to a tank like the BW or BB. I have a DC case on a black Widow and it runs well. The performance between the two is the same. It is only hearsay whether the DC crank cases wear out fast.