Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Maybe a little big??? Webra 1.8cc??

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Maybe a little big??? Webra 1.8cc??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:36 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a little big??? Webra 1.8cc??

This might be a little too big for 1/2A forum, but I figure this is a good place to start...

I just bought a Webra Speedy 1.8CC engine off a buddy, but it's the CL or FF version. Haven't got it yet, but he sent pics (It's NIB). Anybody know where to get, or have, a carb for this engine?? I can adapt something or maybe get a Perry, but I'd like a Webra carb.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:20 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Maybe a little big??? Webra 1.8cc??

Try "Auto Parts R Us"
Old 09-23-2003, 10:27 PM
ChuckAuger

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't hink of that.

And thanks for bumping my thread back to the top!!
Old 09-24-2003, 12:42 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeff:

I have a spare K&B "Block" carb, if you think you might be able to use it. Spigot diameter is 0.529", approx. 0.310" bore. It's a two needle, not the Perry knock-off.

Bill.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:50 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The webra 1.8 Speedie was/ is a very good motor,expensive, and never had too much exposure here. I have an almost new RC version and just want to add that i hope that you got the muffler with it as they are almost impossible to find. I was fortunate and bought one when I got mine. They were extra at the time, as they also had a mini pipe for the motort
Old 09-24-2003, 06:36 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Chuck,
Whats the bore for the carb? Maybe as OS .10 carb would fit the bill if you cant find an original. If needed, the carb throat can be bushed or turned down to fit .

I know you are an engine man, but I cannot remember if you have a lathe or not. I may have a spare OS .10 carb if you are interested I can check the parts box...

Andrew Coholic
Old 09-24-2003, 09:36 AM
ChuckAuger

Thanks for the offers on the carbs, guys!! I don't have the engine yet, I ought to have it in a week or so. Then I can decide if the little K&B or OS carb might be easier to adapt. I have a K&B block carb, and a OS .10 carb...but they are both on engines. I'd sure take a spare of whichever one looks best.

Dennis, I don't think there is a muffler in the box. This guy takes great, comprehensive photos and I didn't see one. I did see a pic of one on the 'net while I was doing a little searching. I figure I'd use a pipe anyway, and can make a header.

Yes Andrew, I have a lathe and have modified a few carbs/carb adapters. I can make something work, thanks to you and Bill for offering up the raw materials.

Now I'll just wait until the engine arrives and do a little measuring.

Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:19 PM
William Robison

CA:

Sorry, my brain was switched off, and in converting your 1.8cc to cid I erred by an order of magnitude. The carb I offered is just about as big as that complete engine.

But I do have a couple loose small Perrys...

Bill.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:45 PM
ChuckAuger

No biggie, thanks for the offer!. The K&B "block" carb I have is pretty dang small, it's on one of those RISE Torp 40's. I also have a small Kavan carb, but it's missing the HS needle. Thought I had one won on Ebay last night, got sniped at T- 7seconds. I just wanted the needle! Might have been a little bit too big anyway.

Here's a pic to keep the thread hopping.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88498.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	63460  
Old 09-24-2003, 04:55 PM
ajcoholic

Chuck, if you need a needle made for the Kavan let me know. I have some funky size dies that I use to repro needles, good chance I have the right one for that carb..

Andrew
Old 09-24-2003, 05:14 PM
William Robison

Jeff:

Here are four of my "Loose" carbs, top left is an Irvine fake Perry, actually a TN type from a 40, the 61 K&B "Block" is top right.

Bottom row are genuine Perry, left was originally on an HB 21, the right one for a K&B 21. The two Perrys differ only in the spigot size. The HB version is 0.370" or 9.5mm, the K&B version is 11.1mm, 0.437" diameter.

Bill.

Name:	Qn38232.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	63492  
Old 09-24-2003, 05:54 PM
ChuckAuger

Thanks again, guys!!

Andrew..I'm gonna try the needle from the Webra venturi in the Kavan. If it doesn't work...and the neck looks close to the right size..I might take you up on a needle.

Bill...I might give one of those little Perrys a whirl, again based on the neck size. A buddy at work has an OS carb he thinks came of an old MAX 25, it's pretty small bore as was the style of the day and air bleed. I'm going to take a look at it as well.

Now I have my eye on a pipe...an .11 to .15 size should do the trick.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:04 PM
ajcoholic

Chuck,
I checked my carbs box, I have one OS from an OLD .10 or .15, and one newer style airbleed, probably from an OS FP 15 (I have part of a 10 carb but missing the barrel).

If you want the FP15 carb let me know, it would probably do nicely (no cost).

As for the needle, let me know anytime. Winter is soon approaching, flying season is just about over, and its just about that time to get back into the shop and start making things...

Andrew
Old 09-25-2003, 07:07 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get a carb for your motor and would like to dispose of the C/L venturi and needle valve assembly. I'd like to buy them if possible. Thanks dennis
Old 09-25-2003, 08:22 AM
ChuckAuger

You got it, Dennis! I fly very, very little CL nowdays and if I do fly, it won't be with this engine. And FF...well, some folks would say my RC flying looks like FF. So unless I just absolutely can't get something else stuffed into the hole, I figure I can part with the venturi.

Andrew, I have a 15FP, so I'll take a look at that carb when the engine arrives and see if it'll work. If it does, I'll take you up on the 15FP carb.

And I got that Kavan carb out last night. It's bigger than I recall, but I did find a needle valve that will work (with a little mod) from a Rossi carb. It has threads on the outside of the spray bar where the needle with internal threads screws over it. The Rossi needle screwed right on, but the needle is a little long. Another needle that had the correct threads is the low end needle from a SuperTigre carb. It has the same internal threads, but the needle is too long and too small diameter.

The engine shipped yesterday.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:34 PM
ChuckAuger

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

If you want the FP15 carb let me know, it would probably do nicely (no cost).

Andrew
I want it! I want it!! LOL

OK, I got the engine and the carb from my 15FP fit just perfect. Well, not perfect, the neck of the carb is just a wee bit too small, but the screw holes are the same size and line up, even depth-wise from the body to the hole. Some .005 shim and a little RTV and it'll we bullet proof. Beggars can't be choosers, but if you have the little phillips screws that hold the carb on it would be swell, if not I have something I'm sure. Just won't look as "stock" [8D].

As happy as I am about the carb, I'm none too thrilled to find out this engine uses a glow head, or glow button, or whatever...the head button has a glow element built in. Like the LHS is gonna carry THOSE! The best thing about it is, it is quite tall, so I can drill it out and tap it and be able to run a long plug. So from glow button to long plug conversion I can jump right over short plugs.

If ANYBODY knows where I might get a burned out blow button for this engine, let me know. I'd love to have one to convert without operating on a new one until it gets burned out.

A pic with the OS 15FP Carb in place:

Name:	Hf99659.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	64554  
Old 09-29-2003, 07:49 PM
ChuckAuger

And a pic with pipe (Rossi .15, but it's all I have)

Name:	Sq46700.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	64562  
Old 09-29-2003, 08:06 PM
ajcoholic

Chuck,
Email me your mailing address and I will send it asap.

[email protected]

About the head button, I imagine much like my Rossi 15 FIRE, the Cox Conquest 15, and quite a few other engines (I also have a Russian CL speed engine that uses them) in that size, you get more power using a glow button than a traditional head with plug.

BUT... it is super simple to turn a new button and drill/tap for a 1/4-32 plug. I also have some spare glow buttons that may fit, or that I can machine and fit. Spares for my Rossi 15 and the Ruski 15.

Can you make a sketch and give the dims (diameters and thicknesses, combustion chamber shape an approx depth, etc) I could check against my others.

I know you have a lathe, but if you dont feel you can make a new head button let me know I will for you.

AJC
Old 09-29-2003, 08:28 PM
ajcoholic

Chuck,
Here are the two I have. On the left is the Rossi 15 glow head button, on the right the Russian 15 CL speed engine (which is a remarkable copy of the Rossi!). The head buttons are interchangeable. I would guess the Webra is close, if not also the same size...?

Picture #1

Name:	Ay74280.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	64566  
Old 09-29-2003, 08:29 PM
ajcoholic

picture #2

Even the combustion chamber size and squish band are the same.

AJC

Name:	Yw66566.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	64567  
Old 09-29-2003, 08:30 PM
ajcoholic

OH yeah, what about a header to go with that pipe?? Are you going to machine one?

AJC
Old 09-29-2003, 08:34 PM
ChuckAuger

OK, let me do a little sketch and I'll send it on. The combustion chamber side sure looks spot on, the riser thru the head looks a little bigger (on the Rossi), but I've put it back together just now.

Thanks a bunch if you can get me hooked up with a glow button, I'd be tickled to just get one I could put a plug in.

About the header..yes, I'll make one. I didn't get a header with the pipe or engine. Looks like the pipe is set up for a stubby little pylon-type header with an O-Ring. Shouldn't bee too much hassle if I make it straight LOL
Old 09-29-2003, 08:52 PM
ajcoholic

If the rossi one I have or the russian one is larger, than I can send it to you and you can just chuck it up in the lathe and turn down the neck to fit the Webra.

measure and see if its going to work, I will wait to hear back - can send you one with the carb...

See, us Canadians arent bad people, eh?

I am just glad to help out..
Old 09-30-2003, 02:01 PM
ajcoholic

Chuck,
I am at work right now on my break...

I got the sketch this morning before I left. I did two things - I modified one Rossi 15 glow button to fit your Webra, so you can run it with that. Second, I made an aluminum head button to use a standard plug so you can try that too.

I just have to grab the carb tonight from a buddies house and mail the stuff tomorrow....

Later,
AJC
Old 09-30-2003, 02:20 PM
ChuckAuger

Man, that's great! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help.

And Dennis, PM me your addy if you still want the venturi.