Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cox RR-1 needle valve setting?

How many turns should a Cox RR-1's needle valve be backed out to run? I can get the engine to run for a second with prime, but not run.

Also, was there a tiny O-ring on the fuel tank trumpet right where it goes into the backplate?,,,there seems to be a small channel in this trumpet.
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Cox RR-1 needle valve setting?

I don't know, and suspect it varies from engine to engine. I'd suggest opening it a full turn, giving it a try. Open it some more until it works.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jp1961

Also, was there a tiny O-ring on the fuel tank trumpet right where it goes into the backplate?,,,there seems to be a small channel in this trumpet.
    Thanks

Yes there should be a small black O-ring style gasket there-and without it you will get exactly the symptoms you describe-running on prime but won't continue running. [because the O-ring is there to seal the joint-without it you will have no- or minimal suction!] I would expect the correct needle setting to be around the 4-5 turns open for starting (it's a very fine thread remember) and running about 3-3 1/2 turns open

You can get the O-rings from Cox Int'l-they're the same as those used in the tanked 049 reed valved models (you may have to buy a complete overhaul kit-I'm not sure if they sell them individually......packets of 10?) Some people make their own by slicing thin pieces off silicone fuel tubing-but this is a fairly hit and miss way of doing it-and a degree of precision is required. Also it would pay to check the needle tip closely-preferably against another one known to be 'good'-it is possible to break the extreme tip off these needles if they are overtightened when fully home-and that does nothing for the function! [look at it under a decent magnifying glass]

Good luck!

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks ChrisM,,,appreciate it!!

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

You can get the O-rings from Cox Int'l-they're the same as those used in the tanked 049 reed valved models (you may have to buy a complete overhaul kit-I'm not sure if they sell them individually......packets of 10?)
    ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'
    Ex Model Engines

COX International

Both locations also have them in bulk packs of 10.
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending