Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

RCU undergoing big upgrade/shift

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

RCU undergoing big upgrade/shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RCU undergoing big upgrade/shift

Starting late this coming Sunday evening and extending thru much of Monday RCU is shifting over to the new VBulletin format.

So don't be surprised if you can't get your "fix" late on Sunday or for a bunch of Monday....
Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RCU undergoing big upgrade/shift

I have confidence it will all go "seamlessly".
Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 PM
skaliwag

New and improved ? ? ? Or Un-inproved???

Last edited by skaliwag; 08-10-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:54 AM
LittleRock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just new !
Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleRock
Just new !
+1
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM
small_rcer

I have now stopped using RCU. Having to login to view pictures is in my view grossly counter productive. If I am trying to show someone a thread with pictures on their computer, they cannot see them without signing up. I will only login from my home computer and do not set the browser to save passwords. I don't use the same password on different sites. I keep a list at my desk. I do not carry it with me. So I will just use another site for my RC fix.

SO LONG RCU. I wonder how long you will last with this policy

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good from here so far. I am sure this has been a big undertaking. One thing I would love to see is a "MY POSTS" icon as most forums have that but not RCU. Would be highly used if you were able to add it.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I seem to be no longer receiving e-mails about threads I have subscribed to and I don't know what to do to fix the situation. Anybody out there that can help me?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
skaliwag

There seems to be a distinct lack of interest (postings). Is it the cookies or is the new format a DUD. Hope this resource for keeping in touch with compardres in the 1/2A realm isn't going to die because of lame decisions made by people who know best.

Last edited by skaliwag; 08-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Jim Thomerson

I find it more difficult to use than the old format. Not an improvemetn.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 PM
skyraider71

Vbulletin is lame. I've seen other forum sites switch to it in the last few years, they are never the same afterward.
I don't like the "generic" look, and posting posting photos requires you to jump through more hoops. I already miss
being able to easily pull up my old posts.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:19 AM
hogflyer

I too find the new format not nearly as user friendly. When you read to the bottom of a thread you have to hit the "Top" button to go back to the top of the page to get back to the forum listings. I have to log in every time I go bring up RCU where as the old format allowed me to stay logged on from my computer at home, and when I do it takes me to my account settings every time. You have to be logged in to see thumbnails, and I still can't access RCU when I log on from Internet Explorer. If RCU doesn't bring back the familiar functionality and ease of use from the old format then RCU will quickly go down the drain. Right now I feel the other forum is much more user friendly.

Hogflyer
Old 08-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hogflyer
I too find the new format not nearly as user friendly. When you read to the bottom of a thread you have to hit the "Top" button to go back to the top of the page to get back to the forum listings. I have to log in every time I go bring up RCU where as the old format allowed me to stay logged on from my computer at home, and when I do it takes me to my account settings every time. You have to be logged in to see thumbnails, and I still can't access RCU when I log on from Internet Explorer. If RCU doesn't bring back the familiar functionality and ease of use from the old format then RCU will quickly go down the drain. Right now I feel the other forum is much more user friendly.

Hogflyer
I agree whole-heartedly. This is my first time back in several days, simply because navigation and functionality have become such a pain. I keep returning in hopes that I'll see some improvement, but none so far.

andrew
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 AM
BMatthews

Hang on guys, there's no doubt that there are a lot of stumbles with the change over. But the guys are working as best they can on fixing issues as they come up.

The main thread for problems is;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...um-here-6.html

Please report your problems or issues in this one thread. It's the one that the developers are working with and they'll address the issues on a priority basis. Some of the stuff which only affects a few folks may be put off in favour of those issues that affect many. But all the issues will be dealt with in time.

Heck, the editor panel didn't even recognize my "enter" key for doing line spaces so I could make paragraphs until a couple of days ago...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 AM
VUgearhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is everyone else getting scroll bars (vertical and horizontal) with every thread post? I mean, some of the posts so scrunched up that not even a single line of text show in the window! The formatting is really screwed UP! I get on using both IE and Chrome, so it's not the client software.

Anyone else seeing things this messed up or is it just me?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Toad

the other site does more and easier now., and I really like the classifieds over there. See you folk over there.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:11 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

What was wrong with the old format? I find this more difficult. Lost my avatar. Have to log in everytime. Sometimes new is not always better.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 AM
BMatthews

The old software had lots of bugs and patches and was no longer supported. So to be able to keep running they didn't really have a choice but to switch.

And even with all the little issues of the moment I'm finding that the pages load a LOT faster.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 PM
hogflyer

Originally Posted by BMatthews
The old software had lots of bugs and patches and was no longer supported. So to be able to keep running they didn't really have a choice but to switch.

And even with all the little issues of the moment I'm finding that the pages load a LOT faster.
I've noticed that some pages are loading faster too, and the log-on issues seem to have been fixed. I know they still have a lot of bugs to be worked out and have a long way to go, but I've seen definite progress. I'm sure they have enough money invested in this site that they want to get everything back and running smoothly as soon as they can.......

Hogflyer
Old 08-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Tom Nied

Well, if this is better, I don't see it. Lots of people having problems. What happened to my my avatar?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:38 AM
BMatthews

Tom, it's not better YET. But in the end it will be. After all new and wider roads or bridges cause major blockages during the construction phase. That's where RCU is at the moment and from the discussion in the moderator's area will be for a couple of more weeks. The major stuff is likely to be fixed in the next few days and then they can mess around with the smaller issues that affect fewer people.

As for your avatar I'm not sure. Possibly it had too many pixels to match the new software's rule? Try submitting it again and see if it accepts the image. Or your user panel may have come up with the "show avatar" box un-checked?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Tom Nied

OK. Guess patience is the best thing. I need to do my work as well. Let's keep cool heads. I really do like RCU.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Big Al-RCU

I'm slowly getting comfortable with the new format. I read the posts direct from the web using Internet Explorer.
Here's what works for me:

Set Thread Display Mode to 'Linear – Oldest First'
Then when the last post in a thread is read you are at the bottom of the page making it convenient to click 'Next Thread' at the very bottom.
This puts you at the top of the new page where you find and click 'View First Unread'.

Before I had to use the Back button and then try to remember which was the next unread thread (they weren't automatically marked 'read' unless you hit the 'refresh' button).

I apologize if this is in the instructions somewhere, (or is intuitively obvious to everyone but me).

I now prefer the new format over the old.

Al
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
skaliwag

Possibly what has "members" , "Ticked off" is that the transition started as a total disaster. Took two weeks + to get it at some resemblance of a functional forum, = a real "Dog and Pony Show". User friendly goes a long way. Not all participants in this millennium are "Super" computer savvy... " Swap this '''' Use that'' Click twice"" Double click while holding your ???
There are some features 'Concessions' that the old site had that would be nice to have again. Too many for me to list., so all who read this and have a request... SHOUT.!!! LOUD!!! can't hear you !!!

Last edited by skaliwag; 08-20-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:28 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

"Posts since last visit" filtered by " my forums" - would be the best thing they could do right now..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.