Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Herr Cloud Ranger Engine

I currently have a new Magnum .10 GP.. Is this to big for a Herr Cloud Ranger?

RE: Herr Cloud Ranger Engine

You probably would have to add a lot of weight to get it to balance. You'd be better off with a Big Mig .061 or .074. if you have them available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

..........You'd be better off with a Big Mig .061 or .074. if you have them available.

I agree. The .10 is quite a bit heavier and more engine than the Cloud Ranger really needs.
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh shoot... ok well I don't have anything smaller... How about the LST trainer?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dmbaerry

How about the LST trainer?
    The LST is actually a little smaller than the Cloud Ranger.

From SIG's specs, the Ranger may be built either as a 3ch (296 sq. in) or 4ch (324 sq. in.) plane - given the increased wing area, I'm assuming ( [X(] ) the gain is due to added full length ailerons. At the larger area, you may be able to get by with the Magnum - SIG shows a weight gain of about 6 oz. in converting from glow to electric, so the plane will carry 22 oz. AUW. If you could stay within 22 oz., the 324 sq. in. will give a little under 10oz/sq. ft. loading, which is acceptable. To maintain CG, you will likely need to re-locate your battery and RX toward the rear of the fuselage. I would do everything possible to balance by weight shift rather than adding weight.

Most of the smaller engines carry a good portion of their weight in the muffler - your field may or may not allow a .10 sized engine to run un-muffled, but you could shed a chunk of weight.
    the "other" andrew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Watch this video; http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...r+cloud+ranger , then get your Cloud Ranger ,stick your .10 on it, & enjoy. Although the Norvel .074 has the power, the .10 size engine will do a better job where a bigger, heavier, dirtier plane demands a larger prop. ...................... George K.

So..... are you trying to fly and airplane or an engine?

There aren't a lot of kits out there that are 'right' for a .10.... you always seem to end up with kits that are heavy 1/2A sized or an underpowered .15 sized. What you want to do for a .10 is take a typical 1/2A sport plane (like a BeeTween) and scale it up 1/8-20%.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There aren't a lot of kits out there that are 'right' for a .10.... you always seem to end up with kits that are heavy 1/2A sized or an underpowered .15 sized. .

Yep, That's why after finding out that the Mini Super Sportster went out of production, I started to buy them . Got one together, & 3 NIB. Also got 3 wing sets. ...... The perfect size, & the perfect plane for a .10 . ...........Of course, just my opinion................................ George K.

Edit; Yeah, I know, the MSS is/was an ARF, but in this game, you grab what works.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So..... are you trying to fly and airplane or an engine?

There aren't a lot of kits out there that are 'right' for a .10.... you always seem to end up with kits that are heavy 1/2A sized or an underpowered .15 sized. What you want to do for a .10 is take a typical 1/2A sport plane (like a BeeTween) and scale it up 1/8-20%.
    I happen to have the engine laying around so was just looking for something to put it on...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I happen to have the engine laying around so was just looking for something to put it on...Β*
    If you're willing to build, two possible candidates would be the Pacer or the Mach None. Plans are available here: http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

While both were billed as 1/2A sized, I think that each would be a much better performer with a larger engine.
    the "other" andrew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put a norvel .061 on mine it cruised around fine but I was gonna make it a float plane to fly from a friends pond so I put my .10 on it..it flew fine..but upon deadsticking it came in really fast and I didnt have room to land..mine was the 3 channel arf..Rog
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world,it happens everyday!

I happen to have the engine laying around so was just looking for something to put it on...Β*
    Just to add some spice to the discussion, here are a few items on my want-to-build-list:

Sharkface is designed for "up to 1.5 cc" but I guess that 1.76cc won't be a problem with modern light rc-gear(?)

Elias Aircoupe is designed for .15 - .19 but the design is from mid '80 so I hope others will chime in and say if a .10 will be enough with modern gear

The Honker will accept a .09 with throttle "for hot performance" according to the plan. But don't order from RCMplans.com, they seems to have gone out-of-business. Search this forum (or send me a PM) for the plans.

In the british magazine Radio Modeller aug-87 issue there is plans for Quickfire and BlitzjΓ€ger, two WW2-fighters wannabee, vaguely looking like a Bf109 and a P51. They are designed for a .10-.15 and share the same plan with rather small differences to look like an Axis or Allied plane (or japanese or russian or ....). I think My Hobbystore own the copyright for the plans, but I can't find them in their store, so PM me if you want me to scan them for you (but it won't happen until mid August because I'm on summer vacation now and my home scanner just s***s when scanning plans).

Mitja SerΕ‘en (Ultralajt on RcGroups), the designer of the famous Guppy glider also designed a .049 - .10-sized sport plane called Little Sport Model (allthough I read somewhere that it was rather weak with a .049 but quite 'sporty' with a .10). At the moment it seems that his site is down, but he published the plans for free so I don't think he'll mind if I send them to anyone who PM:s me.

That's a few of the planes I want to build. Hope fully it's been some inspiration for you (or someone else). In addition to those above I also have a magazine scan for a WW1:ish bipe for a 1.5 - 4cc two-stroke or a 3.5cc four-stroke with a wingspan of 80cm, but I'm too unsure of copyright to even mention it's name here (but my conscience is flexible enough to send a copy to (almost) anyone who PM:s me )

But whichever plane you choose to build: please report here because I have a OS Max 10 FP that just waits for a plane to power and I need help to decide which one to build....

/Stefan

Chea-Pass stick, or maybe the Decathelon (put it on a diet).
    Sig brotherhood #83
    Sig Kadet brotherhood #101
    AKA MrBreeze
    73's KK4MSE
    "I've always been crazy, ...but it's kept me from going insane" -Waylon Jennings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

opps I was thinking about the sig Rascal..not the cloud ranger...The chea-pass would be good or the knock off of the extra if its still on ebay...Rog
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world,it happens everyday!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    fp 10 all day long.........24 min on 4 oz tank, flys perfectClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1979[1].JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	1937795
    Big fun comes in 1/2A packages

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    thanks
    xanaphyst. I still like the cloud ranger and will now consider putting my >.10 on it. thanks again.