Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Electric prop advice

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Electric prop advice

Old 08-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric prop advice

WE"RE GETTING THERE.........Close to flying a new electric. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are building a 30" Herr "Super Cub" and it is our first electric built from a kit. I have a Turnigy motor and a GWS 8/4 prop. The motor shaft has a flat side to accommodate a set screw if you need it. There is a hub that slips over the shaft with set screws so as to accommodate a larger prop hole. What is the best way to attach the prop? One side of the prop hole is round whereas the opposite side has a "nut" shaped indentation. It has me baffled. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PS.....I have posted this on the "Lekkie" board also!!!!!

PPS......How does one get informed by email when someone responds like the old board?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out the video by Rob2160 in the jet forum, post #237.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...w-site-10.html

Helped me stop all the notifications I was getting.

Just drill the prop out if needed to fit the adapter & put a nut & flat washer either side of the prop.

John.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Steve Westphal

John......I like it I guess. Everything new to me takes a while to get thru my thick head!!!!!!!!! I am sure I will be inquiring more in the near future. BTW...there are no threads on either the prop shaft or the adapter hub............now what do I do? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Boomerang1

Did you click on what do you think of the new site?' (the blue writing).

It's a link to the thread with the step by step video on how to change notifications.

The shaft adapter should be a neat fit on the shaft, if not you have the wrong adapter.
One set screw should tighten on the flat on the shaft, the other just tighten it up.

GWS props have the nut shaped moulded on the back of them because the GWS gear
boxes had thin threaded shafts & the nut provided a positive drive to the prop.

Just drill the prop out to suit the adapter you have if it's the correct adapter for your shaft.
If this leaves the hub of the prop too weak you will have to use another prop. - John.

Last edited by Boomerang1; 08-23-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Steve Westphal

If I get the prop to fit good on the adapter hub how do I lock it in place so it doesn't fly off? Nothing is threaded on the Turnigy shaft or the adapter hub. Can I glue it with, say, JB Weld? I am a newbie to electric but have flown glow since the reed Tx/Rx days(mid fifties) I remember when proportional was the NEW rage. Our first propotional gear was a Heath Kit that we built. It served us well until we bought a new Kraft system,. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:36 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need a prop adapter.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...pter&search=Go
Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Steve Westphal

Skali.....The Turnigy shaft is 3.1 mm..............the adapters I find are for either 3.0mm or 3.175 shafts...........what do I do???
Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't Turnigy have one?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Boomerang1

Never heard of a prop adapter that wasn't threaded, must be some other item.
Some adapters just locate the prop on a spigot & rely on a couple of O rings to hold
the prop on & provide some shock absorbing if the prop hits the ground.

The prop adapters skaliwag put the link to squeeze down on the shaft so an exact
match to the shaft diameter isn't needed.

If you could post some pics it would be a help. - John.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:22 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Steve, from your first post in this thread....

There is a hub that slips over the shaft with set screws so as to accommodate a larger prop hole.
If the hub that came with the motor has two longer set screws that stick out then what you've got is a "prop saver" hub. It's something that only works on smaller electric motors. To use it you fit the hex hole over the bump on the nose of the adapter and then use a couple of small "O" rings around the blades and around behind the set screws to rubber band the prop to the adapter.

You may find that you need to somewhat drill out the hex portion for this to work.

At least if there's no obvious way to fit the prop to your adapter that came with the motor then I suspect this is what you've got.