Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Micro reveivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Micro reveivers

What micro receivers are the most common receivers used in the park flyers? A good friend of mine flies using the Assan 6 ch. Rx. He flies with a Hitec 9ch. Tx. Are the Berg micro receivers a good product? I am just now building small models whereas all of the tiny planes I fly are RTF's. I could use some good recommendations concerning small flight packs. I have some good hints about ESC's and motors but would love to hear what the other experienced pilots use....ie.different plugs from servos to receivers, etc. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 PM
hllywdb

Hi Steve, after using a bunch of different small receivers I have switched all of mine to the Berg 4 and 6 channel receivers. I have had zero failures and can't say enough about them. Money well spent. I just wish they would make a 2.4 version in fasst.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Steve Westphal

Hollywood.........I don't compete so I really don't need fasst do I? What is the advantage of the fasst system? I am getting a new Tx soon so I might pick your brain some more. Do I really need fasst as I am a sport flyer? What do you use for a Tx? I have an old Futaba 6 ch(the first computer Tx) and a Tower small unit that we fly the park flyers with. The Futaba is not really like the new computer stuff but I use an Anylink on it and it is reliable. My new Tx will be a 2.4 unit. The Berg is a 2.4 gig, isn't it? They are fairly inexpensive aren't they? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 AM
hllywdb

The bergs are still 72 fm so they work great with the old futaba 6ex style radios. I have gone to 2.4 on my larger stuff and use the old fm systems for my small stuff as the receivers are so small. Plus the bergs are just as reliable as the 2.4 stuff anyway.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Westphal
................My new Tx will be a 2.4 unit. The Berg is a 2.4 gig, isn't it? They are fairly inexpensive aren't they? Thanks.
As posted, the Bergs are 72 MHz. I've flown several and have had good luck with them. However, all my new purchases have been 2.4 GHz products. Several of the folks at my field are flying Orange receivers from Hobbyking -- they are light, inexpensive and reliable. There is also another receiver on the market called the Lemon RX --- full range, 6 ch., around 3 grams depending on the configuration and $5.75 USD. RCG has an 84 page thread running on this receiver and comments are almost all positive, expecially about good customer service. GOOGLE the terms "lemon rx review" to access the thread. Range testing has indicated out-of-sight capability and the Lemon specs are better than the OrangeRX from HK.

http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/

andrew
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
I have had good luck with the little Corona FM's from Heads Up RC.
For small park and schoolyard flyers I think the rage is probably adequate
(they are single conversion) but
for a bigger plane likely to need some more range I would be very cautious.
I have not ventured into 2.4 at all, mostly due to the cost of the receivers,
but the knock-offs have made that less of an issue now.
But for now I can invest $30 to have a receiver, 4 servos and an ESC
(if it's electric) in a plane and it's always ready to fly.
Dave
Old 08-27-2013, 03:51 PM
hogflyer

Steve -

I'll give another nod to Berg receivers. I've got 7 of them (MicroStamp4 and 7-channel) and they have never missed a beat. I've flown them on my Futaba Sky Sport 6A (the original Sky Sport, not the later junk version), Futaba 7C and JR 6102. The are full range and I've had a glider out quite a ways with a MicroStamp4 and it worked great. I'm currently flying a MicroStamp4 in my 1981 vintage Airtronics S-Tee with a B/W .049 and haven't had a glitch, and in planes ranging from 1/2A to glider to glow power gliders and even my Herr Lil Extra.

I do fly in an area where the standard FM receivers have interference issues due to nearby trains running through every 20 minutes and even PCM receivers have had issues. But the Berg's have never had any glitching or interference issues. I'm sold on them for 72MHz radios. I'm sure they'll perform as well with Hitec as they do Futaba and JR. Also with Futaba they work with both high band and low band.

Hogflyer
Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 PM
DeviousDave

I'm using Berg and Orange RX's pretty much exclusively. Berg's had a reputation for failing back when I started using them but none of mine have missed a beat. I use Azarr antenna's on the Bergs, makes for a completely internal setup and no antenna drag. The antennas are about $10-15 a piece and worth it.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got a bunch of Orange receivers because the FM crystals seem to cost as much as a 2.4 receiver. I must admit I have not flown them yet, but the reviews are good, as are the reviews for the Lemon receivers. They might even be better? as reviews go. I don't like the long antenna's with the FM stuff. The only reason I got the 2.4 DX 7 was for the indoor stuff, but that has changed now for the 1/2A's, as soon as I get some time I will have to try them out.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM
hllywdb

I've heard the orange ones are good on the spectrum side. I tried 2 of the orange ones for the FASST and had problems with both, so I went back to the Futaba receivers and had have no issues. Like most people, I still have quite a few FM Futaba TX's. So these work great for me for all the 1/2a stuff with the Berg receivers. For all practical purposes they are very bit as solid as the FASST systems and I've never had a failure. Plus they are tiny and light and offer the option of fail safe just like a PCM receiver. When I do start to move the small stuff to 2.4, I will probably go the Spectrum route or the new Futaba FHSS just because of the small, inexpensive receivers.