Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Moving some of the kit stash

Clearing out some of the storage from one place to go to another. It's always tough to poke through these old, and a few new, kits and plans - they bring back such good memories of friends and flying. Need to get a few of these going.

What does your stash of favorite old kits look like?

Scott

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Some of the kits.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	1916941

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Pretty sure I have an Upstart II at home in the box, and the Ranger 42 was one of my first RC planes. Not real successful, I was a little heavy handed with the paint when I was a kid, and it was HEAVY. Looks like a stack of fun there!
    Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That is an awesome collection..!

I've got a Mach None canopy and styrofoam wing panels sitting in a box. That would be a fun project someday..but do the wing with wood.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Pigg,

The Mach none was one of my favorites as a teen. I built a couple of them - Great flyers. TD, 2-ch with honkin big servos and a 500mAh pack.

This collection was pared down a few years ago - sold off a lot of neat stuff. No need to just store a bunch of boxes. These are left overs and sentimental favorites, and a few more picked up along the way. My faves all tend to date to the late 60's and 70's for the most part. But I'm a sucker for anything smallish, most things Goldberg, and P-47.

Fizz - the Ranger was my first successful R/C plane. OS .10, 3-ch. Before that I'd tried the Ranger 30 with pulse and a Babe Bee, but that was not to be. Many of these were my firsts; the Ranger 30, Ranger 42, Skylark 56.

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by WINANS View Post
    Clearing out some of the storage from one place to go to another. It's always tough to poke through these old, and a few new, kits and plans - they bring back such good memories of friends and flying. Need to get a few of these going. What does your stash of favorite old kits look like? Scott

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Some of the kits.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	1916941
    Quite a good stash of kits, Scott. Of those you have, I've built the FS9 36" RC Minnie Mambo, S2 38" CL P-51D Mustang Profile, Topflite 27" RC Schoolboy, G2 30" FF Ranger 30. One kit I still have is the S46 42" CL F6F Hellcat Profile, unbuilt in the box. Still have the Minnie Mambo and Ranger 30.

I also have unbuilt kits of:

• Airco 46" Aero Star - swept wing rudder only (RO) RC cabin model
    • Sterling18" S23 Hornet - CL or FF Liberty style biplane
    • Tidewater 50" RC Pronto - Low wing fun flyer for .19 - .25 motors
    • Andrews 50" RC S-Ray - RO shoulder wing
    • Midwest 41" RC Bebe Jodel - Low wing semi-scale for RO
    • Goldberg 56" Falcon III
    • Hobby Shack 46" The Real Thing - Parasol fun flyer
    • Sterling 16" Star Wars X-Wing Fighter - CL profile for .049 motors
    • Scientific 18" Piper Super Cruiser - CL hollow log for .049 motors
    • Scientific 30" RC Shoestring - All balsa RO for .020 motors
    • House of Balsa 32" RC Stealth Sport - 2 channel for .049 motors
    • Midwest 33" CL P-40 Warhawk profile
    • Hobby Shack 45" RC Cessna 177 Cardinal Foam ARF

Partially built:
    • Sterling 54" RC Piper Cub
    • Guillow 42" RC Bellanca Cruisemaster - Stick & Tissue for 2 channels
    • Sterling 42" S1 Ringmaster (being repaired, gift from a friend)
    • Ok Models Pilot 30" Cessna 177 - CL semi-scale
    • Sterling 20" Beginners P-47 Thunderbolt - CL profile for .049 motors
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    George, I enjoy a bunch of those that you have or mentioned. I thought I had a 48"ish Sterling PT-19 kit in the pile, have been thinking about it, but must have sold it. I'd like to build that one. I do have an old Cox PT-19 ARF that I need to re-construct, and a set of new parts to make another of those. Lots of old planes that need some more love too.

Good weekend fellows. Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Scott, when younger I wanted to build the Sterling PT-19. Nowadays, their models are complex enough that I'm a little less enthusiastic without a kit. They were beautiful and lightweight though. My framed up Sterling Piper Cub is another fine example. That, originally I was making as rudder-motor, but given the windy conditions of Clovis, am going to break the elevator joint and make it 3 channel.
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That Pronto is a riot with an OS .30 Wankle on it. Really peps it up! I had one and flew it until radio failre, great airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I've got my late father's sterling pt-19 on hanging display in the office. I need to remove the silk and re-silk and dope it back to dad's glory. I also have a Hobby Shack Real Thing2 and a Goldberg Ranger 30 that I am looking to build with modern electronics. I built one as a child and eventually a cat chewed up the tail surfaces after many flights.
    I am still on the hunt for a TF Schoolboy kit but will probably just build one without kit since I got a set of plans for it the other day.
    A kit thou art, and unto a kit thou shalt return

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDave View Post
    That Pronto is a riot with an OS .30 Wankel on it. Really peps it up! I had one and flew it until radio failre, great airplane.
    I can see why, Dave. Shoot, you'd have vertical performance with that critter, the OS Wankel . I imagine its power is more like a .35 or .40 Schneurle. It's a really nice engine , but a little beyond my means for my purposes. (Could buy a half dozen new engines for the price of that one.)

For me, I think I'm sticking the Enya .19-VI TV on it (same engine as shown on the plans).
    George Hostler

Pretty sure I have an Upstart II at home in the box