Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do I need rubber grommets?

I am building a Sig 36" wingspan Cessna L-19 Bird Dog. I will be using a Norvel .061 motor with mini servos.
    I know when small planes such as this are electric you don't need the grommets. But for a .061 motor will there be enough vibration to need the grommets?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 99.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	1918560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 100.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	1918561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 102.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	1918562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 104.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	1918563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 106.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	1918564  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have had problems with Hitec Hs55 servos hard mounted in 1/2a airplanes. Therefore I prefer to use HS81 servos mounted with grommets. If I were to use HS55 again in a small glow plane I would mount with grommets.

Therefore my opinion is yes, use grommets.
    I fly aircraft at the leading edge of trailing edge technology!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Even small glow engines buzz like mini paint mixers. The rubber grommets is a good idea.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    And if they have the brass inserts, put the flange on the bottom, so it rests on the mounting plate and the servo "floats" in the rubber pinned by the flange and the screw head on top. If you put the flange up top, the brass can just drive itself into the mounting plate and compress the rubber too much - which takes away the nice vibration absorbing ability. I learned this way late in my RC career.. it is probably in the servo instructions which I don't recall ever reading. Anyhow the idea is not to compress the grommets beyond lightly snug.
    Sorry I'm late dear, I had to help my uncle Jack off his horse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Definitely use grommets on the servos. If your servos don't come with grommets you can always use fuel tubing. Either cut a small piece to wrap around the servo mounting tab, or a couple of small pieces to mount both above and below the mounting tab, use an Exacto blade to pierce a small hole in the tubing, and pass the screw through the tubing into the wood to secure the servo.

Hogflyer
    President and Flight Training Coordinator - Wichita Radio Control Club - AMA Intro Pilot
    www.wichitaradiocontrolclub.org AMA 47317
    Sig Brotherhood #85
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 139

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by MJD View Post
    ...... it is probably in the servo instructions which I don't recall ever reading. Anyhow the idea is not to compress the grommets beyond lightly snug.
    I've seen the over-compression happen too many times --- once the grommet is flattened, it is almost like a solid mount.

Ditto on MJD's comments on using the brass eyelets.
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Definitely use them. They also give just a bit and can save you from stripping gears in a bind or unscheduled landing.

I try to be pessimistic, but why bother?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I hate to ask, but why are you wearing a hospital gown to build model airplanes?
    Work is what I do for the love of it. A job is how I pay for it.
    Please visit AirfieldModels.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeenMan View Post
    I hate to ask, but why are you wearing a hospital gown to build model airplanes?
    I met a guy while flying C/L back in the 1980s who invited me to come to his house and look at kits, built planes and engines he had for sale. This guy was obviously hobbled with an injury and had problems with his hands too. He looked to me like his "flying days" were behind him.

I showed up at his house with some cash in my wallet just in case he had something good. His house was littered from the front door to the back and from the floor on up with broken planes, unflown planes, engines, boxes full of spare engine parts, closets full of unbuilt kits, planes on tables yet to be finished...it was 100% control line stuff.
    I kind of "searched" in my head for a polite way to ask him HOW he amassed all this stuff, but don't remember exactly how I phrased the question. He alluded to being in some sort of accident that had a big "pay day" and that part of the deal included an allowance for building C/L planes as part of his rehab..!!!!!
    Last edited by combatpigg; 09-20-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???