Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

not exactly rc, but it is 1/2a!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

not exactly rc, but it is 1/2a!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 PM
guitarsbanjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not exactly rc, but it is 1/2a!

I knew something stupid would happen, oh well it's too late to fix it tonight, just lean to the left a little.

About 15 years ago, before I was married, or had any kids, I found this ringmaster bipe on clearance at LoneStar balsa, and thought "some day maybe I'll have a son, and this will be a good way to teach him like I learned". Now I do have a son, and now he is 10, I came home from work one day, and he had this about half built, did a pretty good job too. His second build actually, his first was a guillows rubber powered dive bomber (dauntless maybe?). Anyway, the paints not perfect, but it looks good for a first effort. I tore down an old baby bee, oiled it up, and today he made his very first control line flight. Actually flew the full tank out on his second attempt, first try wasn't even a lap, just the typical take-off, stall, stall, stall, whack. He was pretty dizzy after that first full flight, but between the two of us we got in 5 flights on it. I'll post some better pics when I get them downloaded, and post them upright. I couldn't find any flight shots or videos of the Ringmaster bipe on the internet, so I was a little apprehensive about it's flying qualities, and crash survivability, but it flew fine, even though I think the motor isn't turning as fast as it should. It may not be broken in good.

I'm very proud of him, beginning to end he did it nearly completely by himself. I had to do a little tweaking on the controls to make them smooth, but I did very little else. I had forgotten how much fun you can have with a little 1/2a control line when the engine is running good.

Austin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130915_183216.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1921133  
Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 PM
guitarsbanjo

OK, couldn't stand it, here's a better shot.

Austin

Name:	20130915_183139.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1921135  
Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a Guy..
He has entered the realm of the Chosen Few and is now one of Us. .. Built his own and flown his own... I want to shake his hand.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:32 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing the story - brings back some memories of my kids flying a .15 sized Sig "buster". We were at the NATS back in the late 80's, a buddy of mine was helping teach the kids. I launched the plane, my young daughter couldn't get the hang of turning with the plane, so Bob just scooped her up, held her and turned, let her fly the plane.. it was pretty fun to watch!

No - wait - that was the Sig Shoestring, the solid balsa .15 sized one. The Buster came later, after the shoestring was stolen from our garage.

Last edited by fizzwater2; 09-16-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: wrong plane
Old 09-16-2013, 06:19 AM
WINANS

That's great! - thanks for sharing. That same picture happened for thousands of us - what fun, and good learning along the way. Scott
Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never forgotten the sheer fun of simple sheet balsa 1/2A CL models. They were - and are - very little investment for the return, both in money and sweat. Smash one up, next weekend you can have another ready to go. 1/2A sheet balsa (or Coroplast or whatever is quick cheap and functional) profile model combat is almost as much fun as... well, not quite, but it's a hoot.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 PM
guitarsbanjo

Not bad if I say so myself. He had a little trouble overbrushing the clear dope, and it was drying fast in this Texas heat, ain't no way momma was lettin' him do it in the house!

Austin

Name:	IMG_8422.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	1921495  
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it looks pretty darned good!