Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Receiver quandary

Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't expect to see them faster than 3-4 weeks. With fall advancing (AND ITCHY THUMBS..) I may just fly it with the AR6115E - http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70191
Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Lemon receivers came in Saturday's mail (10/12/13); I had placed the order on 9/27. Each came with a square of double-sided tape (for mounting, I suppose), a plastic wrap around cover with adhesive pads and a binding plug --- there were no instructions. I bought the 6ch featherlight end-pin model.

There were some things that I found a little troublesome. The pins from the 90 degree header extend some length through the bottom of the board, so much so that I clipped them off, then filed the ends smooth. The solder joints on a couple of the pins looked a little cold, so I reflowed those joints. We see this quite often at work where some through hole components heat sink the joints too much during production and the joints need a little touch-up. Lastly, where the antennas come off the board, the joint looks like it may stress fracture easily. I don't know if the antenna wire is solid or stranded and if it is annealed copper or some other metal. I'm going to carry either an epoxy or hot glue support from the board to the insulation on the antenna, otherwise I'm afraid that the antenna may snap off fairly easily. The separation of the header pins is narrow and I ground and filed the shoulder off the servo plugs to get them to fit more easily --- this has also been a problem with other micro RXs that I've used, so it's not unique to this brand.

It bound to my DX7 immediately with no problem. I have not range checked it, but did run the channels thru a servo test.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 PM
MJD

Well, based on this I will give mine a good inspection when I receive them before doing anything else. I guess the proof is in the flight tests.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 PM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a good range test. Maybe even with a running motor. Ive had weird issues since I switched to DSM and I dont know what it is. I cant blame the Lemonrx's since Im also using deviationTX, so no actual spektrum stuff. Lost another plane in a dive at the edge of my field, same place I lost my selextra a few weeks ago. Funny thing is Im sure I flew the plane further away before the crash and I thought to myself "keep it in closer just in case".

I might try a capacitor on the power lines. But again, I dont know if it was RX, TX, or other.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM
MJD

Wonder of wonders, I went to the post office box today and there was my Lemon Rx order. No news yet, all "looks" good based on a quick fondle at my desk. Ooh, and also my Maxx order with clamp on 28mm motor mounts. Parts are in, time to get to work.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So 3 1/2 weeks. Not too bad. I used my Orange receiver the other day and it seems ok. Got it out about further than I could see it and almost lost it. It was a kind of small and fastish Ace Simple 400 with the Norvel .06. Glad I got it going before winter anyway. Likely 700 to 800 feet. Some guys fly gliders pretty far with them. Never thought about the Lemon one. I was going to get a few, and was on the HK site, and they dropped the price of the AP .15 because I was looking at it so long. The wife said OK, so I tacked a few extra things on in her moment of weakness. I never hear the end of mail order stuff. I got ripped off for $150 on a Supertiger X .29 a long time ago, and she doesn't trust anyone since. The guy ripped of a lot of people back then. He was kind of a big name in the speed world too.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJD
Parts are in, time to get to work.
MJD --
Had a chance to fool with your receivers yet???
Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 AM
MJD

Um, no... sorry.. but "hey" - last night I made and fuelproofed a test stand for the Profi .049 and bladder setup going on the Blink, so I'll run up the engine this weekend. That will spur me into action on the receivers. With the weather threatening to close in there will be few opportunities to fly the Blink before wi.. wint.. ugh I can't say it. So no time to waste.

Indeed, the pins for the servo connectors are left untrimmed on the bottom of the board, but no problem to trim them down with end cutters. I got a couple of the no-pin versions for micro stuff, i.e. solder the servos to the Rx board. I like this idea for .010-.020 stuff, I hate surplus wires all over the place, and this small the excess wire weight shows up on the radar screen. Kind of a DIY micro-brick radio.

4.5g servos x 2 = 9g - 0.5-1g for excess wires = 8.5g
200mAh LiFe pack = 15g
Micro Rx = 2.5g

2 channel micro glow flight pack - 26g? 4c 35g? Cool.