Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Your choice of CA applicator tips?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Your choice of CA applicator tips?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your choice of CA applicator tips?

Which tip do you use?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:32 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Your choice of CA applicator tips?

I use the Bob Smith Industries CA simply because i like the tips on their bottles. I have allready poured other CA into mt BSI bottles, in a pinch, when i had run out of the stuff just so i could continue useing their tip....Gene
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use PTFE spaghetti tubing from McMaster-Carr. I buy it in bulk and cut the length I want - an inch to an inch and a half lets me reach most joints. Usually, I'll cut one end at an angle, clip the tip of the applicator spout so it is barely open and insert the tubing into the tip for a friction fit. With the small ID, you can squeeze out a small drop or just wick the CA along a joint. Since I use thin CA almost exclusively, I use a smaller ID tubing. If you use the medium or thick CA, you'll need a larger ID. It is completely inert and CA won't stick - any chunks can just be scraped off with a fingernail. When finished, I drop the spout and tubing into a sealable tub of acetone - any residual CA is dissolved and the spout and tubing are clean for the next building session. Cap the bottle with an uncut spout to prevent moisture incursion.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spaghetti-tubing/=min3fa
Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 AM
skaliwag

Which sizes are best?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Andrew

It's been a while since I ordered (25' lasts for a long time). I believe I ordered packs for 24, 28 and 30 AWG. wire sizes.

You have unassembled C/L cable kits showing in stock for .027, .015 and .008 diameters. The ID's for the tubing are .022, .015 and .012, so the cable sizes should help you visualize the ID's of the tubing. Thin CA will flow thru just about anything - it really depends on how much control you need.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are some plastic squeeze bulbs that work well for dispensing CA.  My flying buddy swears by them.  I just got a few, but haven't tried them yet.  It is like a mini fuel bulb with a small tube built into it.  They were 5 for a dollar or something. I have been using more PU glue lately.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI: The little plastic squeeze applicators for CA make dandy fuel tanks for the TD .010.....

I'm jus' sayin'. [8D]
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Tee Bee

Nice bit, Dave.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 PM
skaliwag

If you have a little plastic squeeze applicators for CA , you need a TD .010
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just finished building a 70 rib model, and without the little bulb applicator, it would have been messy, time consuming, and heavy.

They're AMAZING!

I just use a small takeaway container to squirt some CA into, then suck it up into the applicator, and we're away.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Trisquire

For super control, the free flight guys sometimes make CA applicators from sewing needles. You've got to grind the eye of the needle down to make a U shape:

http://wmunderway.8m.com/cont/superglue/superglue.htm
Old 05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
aspeed

Kind of like an old quill pen. 
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM
ZAGNUT

i use these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXB970&P=8 only i get them from a local lab supply for 1/4 the price but i have to get 100 at a time. they're called "transfer pipettes" and the nice part about the style packaged by DB is the long slender spout. at around 1/8" they are way too fat to use as is but by grabbing the tip with pliers and gently pulling the spout will shrink down to almost hypo needle diameter...trim with a knife and you have the best possible glue applicator ever....works great for oil and for priming engines as well. the pipettes with the tapered spouts can't be modded like this.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: aspeed

Kind of like an old quill pen.
Yup. Some folks make an improvised applicator from two thin wires parallel mounted on a handle. They allow just enough space between the wires for capillary action to fill up the gap with CA. I saw pictures online once, but I can't find them now.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

index finger
Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
ffkiwi

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

i use these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXB970&P=8 only i get them from a local lab supply for 1/4 the price but i have to get 100 at a time. they're called ''transfer pipettes'' and the nice part about the style packaged by DB is the long slender spout. at around 1/8'' they are way too fat to use as is but by grabbing the tip with pliers and gently pulling the spout will shrink down to almost hypo needle diameter...trim with a knife and you have the best possible glue applicator ever....works great for oil and for priming engines as well. the pipettes with the tapered spouts can't be modded like this.

.....they also make good F/F fuel tanks with a small filler hole added to the top of the bulb, and a short piece of silicone fuel tube to connect the other end to the spraybar. The long neck (which I usually end up shortening) allows plenty of leeway in routing, and while flexible, has sufficient stiffness to resist kinking. Very useful approximate timed engine runs for sport models where you don't want to use a timer for split second accuracy. And in my extensive experience, quite nitro and diesel fuel proof............

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 AM
Cross Check

Hi All,

I like those Dave Brown applicators.

The LHSs house brand CA comes in screw top bottles. I don't cut the bottle tip.

It is the only CA I can use every drop, so the applicators pay for themselves in the long run...

Any CA brands I have tried that I have to cut the tip, I end up only using half of the bottle...

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM
MajorTomski

I'm Hooked on Sig's applicators. They are on the shelves at Hobby Lobby craft stores if there's one near you

http://www.sigplanes.com/SIG-CA-APPL...ACK_p_105.html
Old 05-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Charlee Smith

Most of what's been talked about here can be seen at: http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/access.html
They are available at most hobby shops.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM
aspeed

Yep, the one at the bottom of the page.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM
ffkiwi

ORIGINAL: Charlee Smith

Most of what's been talked about here can be seen at: http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/access.html
They are available at most hobby shops.
Fourth one down in this url reference quoted above is a typical medical/biological sciences pipette tip-possibly the same thing Zagnut was talking about. Bulk supplies from your local lab supply firm. When I was still in the science career stream I used these things by the thousands (and we used to buy them by the tens of thousands!).....the long narrow capillary types were often used for loading DNA and protein analysis gels.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 AM
baddley

Hi

These are the tips I am using from BSI #304 Pocket CA Extender Tip and they work fairly good Is there anyway to clean the tips to reuse them, I have tried soaking them in both CA debonder and acetone with no luck ?

Thanks
Scott
Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by Andrew
I use PTFE spaghetti tubing from McMaster-Carr. I buy it in bulk and cut the length I want - an inch to an inch and a half lets me reach most joints. Usually, I'll cut one end at an angle, clip the tip of the applicator spout so it is barely open and insert the tubing into the tip for a friction fit. With the small ID, you can squeeze out a small drop or just wick the CA along a joint. Since I use thin CA almost exclusively, I use a smaller ID tubing. If you use the medium or thick CA, you'll need a larger ID. It is completely inert and CA won't stick - any chunks can just be scraped off with a fingernail. When finished, I drop the spout and tubing into a sealable tub of acetone - any residual CA is dissolved and the spout and tubing are clean for the next building session. Cap the bottle with an uncut spout to prevent moisture incursion.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spaghetti-tubing/=min3fa
I do exactly the same. Teflon tubing can be stretched and necked down nicely with heat from a heat gun. That's what I do for thin CA. For medium, I use it as is
Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vicman
index finger
I use that as "Plan B"

George