Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox engines coming to Hobby King.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox engines coming to Hobby King.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox engines coming to Hobby King.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTkJ2...Hdeexafc1m_pOp

Any word if this is with the blessings of our friend up at Cox International? Or is Hobby King cloning a product as usual?

Pricing will be interesting, I bet.

Last edited by Thomas B; 10-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I especially liked the "down draft carb" on the SureStart. Pricing will indeed be interesting. Given the line they are going to offer, my guess is that these may be from Bernie's operation rather than a clone. However, I do think he has had some parts manufactured in Chinese factories, so we'll see what shows up.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Cox International
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, HK approached us a few months ago and we sold them plenty. Because many of our products (especially engines) are in limited supply and may not be remanufactured, we have mixed feelings about this. But hey, we made the decision to sell to them, will be supportive and see how this pans out.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go on, take the money and run. Just not too far. May as well cash in.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 PM
WINANS

... take the money and run...? .... cash in....?

If you think Bernie and crew are making a fast buck on half-A engines, you're sorely mistaken.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 PM
aspeed

If you get rid of them faster, all the better. Common business sense. Less money advertising, earlier payback yada, yada, yada. As long as there are some parts left for us later. I would hope there is a fast buck in it, he has invested a fair bit and should get it back plus.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I see nothing at all wrong with selling a bunch of engines through an "online big box". If it spreads the magic what is the harm?

Let's face the facts. As electrics take over from small glow engines there's more and more Cox and other small engines for those of us that still love these things for their qualities. And if selling a "few" through Hobby King spreads the magic out to a few more folks then I can't see anything that makes this at all a bad thing.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:07 AM
dmbaerry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMatthews
I see nothing at all wrong with selling a bunch of engines through an "online big box". If it spreads the magic what is the harm?

Let's face the facts. As electrics take over from small glow engines there's more and more Cox and other small engines for those of us that still love these things for their qualities. And if selling a "few" through Hobby King spreads the magic out to a few more folks then I can't see anything that makes this at all a bad thing.
I totally agree.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:07 AM
dmbaerry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cox International
Yes, HK approached us a few months ago and we sold them plenty. Because many of our products (especially engines) are in limited supply and may not be remanufactured, we have mixed feelings about this. But hey, we made the decision to sell to them, will be supportive and see how this pans out.
I am assuming we can still get them directly from you?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Cox International
Glad to hear it is on the up and up.

If it helps spread Cox engines around the world and moves some of your stock, why not? Best of luck.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM
aspeed

It wouldn't be too hard to make all new stuff again with all the cnc stuff now. The price may be prohibitive though. I have found getting lots of quotes will find really good prices sometimes, if they can keep the tolerances. Some guys work reasonably while others don't have the work and try to make the odd job pay for everything, and charge sometimes triple.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM
308jockey

I recently aquired several Cox engines from .010 to .051 and have built planes just for them. I hope HK can help bring some life back to small nitro engines. I fly plenty of electrics in that size but the burners give me more satisfaction. Best of luck to Cox on this.

Rick H.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Cox International

When we bought out the Cox stock, we got over 35,000 engines. We are down to less than half.

This is the reason we don't really like to sell large quantities to one company (we turned down a 1,000 engine order earlier this year).

We need to make our engine stock last as long as possible as we will not be able to manufacture engines in low runs at reasonable cost. Engines are our core product and drive our parts and accessory sales.

This is why we have mixed feelings about selling to the giant retailers but we'll see how it goes.

Once we run out of engines, expect sticker shock for any that we have to manufacture. Like $80+ for a Babe Bee.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM
aspeed

Just a suggestion here being that we have your attention. Maybe pester MECOA and try to get the Cox Conquest stock from him. He seems to have run out of motivation for them. It was their best motor they ever made. I am sure it would need some parts to be made up or he would be selling whole motors.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's amazing [and relieving] to hear that this venture is doing so well.
I am curious to know what the breakdown is [roughly] with sales per nation.....are there guys in Iceland flying 1/2A..?
I wonder if people who are living in emerging economies have "a Yen" for 1/2A power..?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:47 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Well at least their not cloning them,,Yet...Rog
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Cox International

Had a really bad run in with Mecoa some years ago (they still owe us money and product) so dealing with them is completely out of question.

Our main market is the USA (40%), followed by the UK (20%), Canada (5%) and then lots of European countries, Central and South America and a bit all over the world. No customers in Iceland so far but we have some in French Guyana, Vanvatu, Fiji, Mauritius, Indonesia etc

Bernie
Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 PM
combatpigg

Thanks Bernie for the "market research"..!
It's interesting to see who is still involved with these truest of the true Miniature Model Engines. The movement towards gigantic RC models that are almost powerful enough to carry a person defeat the "magic" that some of us enjoy with the miniature model engine world. I suppose the next fad will be RCing full scale planes...?
There will always be a certain segment of the human species who find miniature model aviation worthwhile at just about any price.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by combatpigg
...................I wonder if people who are living in emerging economies have "a Yen" for 1/2A power..?

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:04 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Andrew
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!
Andrew...I was at least careful not to say "a Yuan" for 1/2A.........

The list of countries that Bernie mentioned underscore how miraculous it is to see how products like this have some demand at every corner of the earth [except for Iceland].
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by combatpigg
The list of countries that Bernie mentioned underscore how miraculous it is to see how products like this have some demand at every corner of the earth [except for Iceland].
Strange, since it would be a great place for free flight --- no trees! Clean up of cold castor would be a chore, though!!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

IF I could enforce a new "entry level standard" for RC it would be:

1) Build a 1/2A balsa kit
2) Cover and finish so that it is fuel proof
3) Power it with a Cox .049
4) Install a minimum of 2 channels
5) Complete glide tests (and subsequent repairs)
6) Learn how to make the .049 run through a tank of fuel
7) Learn to fly your aircraft (and how to repair it). Hand launch or ROG are both acceptable.
8) Upon completing one flight through a full tank of fuel with a successful landing, you have graduated to "RC Modeler"

IF this were made the new standard to graduate from HS, it would transform America.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 AM
combatpigg

If learning how to read and write cursive is too difficult for some..this proposed model aviation curriculum will surely weed out the rest who are wasting their time and our tax dollars in any academic institutions of any kind.
Don't forget..add to the course work hand starting an engine after assembling one from a pile of parts [rod reset too].
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 AM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I SO AGREE!! It would transform America I really MISS the Cox Control Line planes and being able to pick up just about anywhere. Last one I purchased was about 12 years ago at Toys r Us - the Extra 300. I was so surprised to see it ... I grabbed it. That is what I started with .. a COX PT-19 CL Trainer... BEST 1/2a was a cox texaco on a Goldberg Gentle Lady...
Mixed emotions about going to HK ... but Business is business and we have to respect that.

Originally Posted by RichardGee
IF I could enforce a new "entry level standard" for RC it would be:

1) Build a 1/2A balsa kit
2) Cover and finish so that it is fuel proof
3) Power it with a Cox .049
4) Install a minimum of 2 channels
5) Complete glide tests (and subsequent repairs)
6) Learn how to make the .049 run through a tank of fuel
7) Learn to fly your aircraft (and how to repair it). Hand launch or ROG are both acceptable.
8) Upon completing one flight through a full tank of fuel with a successful landing, you have graduated to "RC Modeler"

IF this were made the new standard to graduate from HS, it would transform America.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Cox International

We have dozens of resellers and HK is but one of them. Nothing has changed; just an extra outlet to buy from that's all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.