Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Glue sticks for applying tissue

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Glue sticks for applying tissue

Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glue sticks for applying tissue

I read about a builder who used white glue mixed with water to stick tissue down to the balsa. He complained about the dried glue coming through the tissue and was very visible. Another fella said that he liked Fuzzee's glue stick method. Does anyone know what glue he was talking about? I think Fuzzee was a contributor. I would like to try the stick method....does anyone have a recommendation as to what glue stick to use? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:11 PM
coriolan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve
Glue stick is OK for small electrics but not adequate for 1/2A glow fuel IC, personally I use UHU glue stick for many electric powered indoor project but for IC power I just use dope with tissue since the plane will need dope anyway for fuel protection.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used dime store tissue ironed down after a coat of Sig Stix It was applied to the airframe. Then three coats of clear butyrate dope and you are good to go!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 PM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White glue, applied to where you need covering (any covering) to stick and left to dry, at least overnight.
Then Iron on the covering. The heat activates the dried white glue and sticks it very well.
Furniture makers have been using this technique for decades.. to apply veneers.