Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Which 1/2a engine for Sigs Cloud Ranger?

Hello,

Would appreciate your input.

I want to build a docile trainer and was thinking on the Cloud Ranger or to scratch built a LST trainer.

Which motor would yo recommend?
    I was looking at either thunder tiger GP07 from tower or the 061A ASP from Hobby Partz.

I see tower has parts available for the TT GP07, and for the price of the AP, i might buy two to have spare parts.

I read through several threads and they seem to prefer Novels.

So, the end question is...

Thunder Tiger GP07 from Tower,
    061A ASP from Hobby partz or
    NV Big Mig 074 from nvengnes?

Regards

Elias R.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    http://www.modelairplanenews.com/Med...ary.pdf?ff60b2

I'd say it is the best built engine of the three. Next on the list for this application to me would be the TT 07.
    Sorry I'm late dear, I had to help my uncle Jack off his horse.

Revver Bro #231

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For the oddball option, you might consider a PAW 100 R/C Diesel. These are incredibly fuel efficient engines that will swing a 7-8" prop, would be pretty darn good on a high wing floater...

Next choice for me would be an MP Jet .061 Diesel unless you didn't want to go with a diesel... in that case, a regular Big Mig .049 or .061 would be pretty ****.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I fly a cloud ranger all the time and has become my "go to" plane lately. I have flown it with 061 norvel, 061 MP Jet diesel, and an OS FP 10. I like the FP 10 the best myself. I would use an OS LA 10 if I were building another one as it is just a little lighter than the FP. The OS uses
    common glow plugs and fuel which is a plus. Since you asked about a certain three engines, the one I would pick of those three is the norvel 074.

...don't forget to check out the Star-Crusier...I flew one of those for a long time as well some years back..it is an easy flyer, I had a norvel 061 on mine
    Last edited by xanaphyst; 11-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Big fun comes in 1/2A packages

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Another vote for the NV 074, finest 1/2a motor built and 1/2 the weight of the OS 10. Light trainers fly better, slower, and hold up better on unscheduled landings

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by eromeros View Post
    Hello, Would appreciate your input. I want to build a docile trainer and was thinking on the Cloud Ranger or to scratch built a LST trainer.

Which motor would yo recommend? I was looking at either thunder tiger GP07 from tower or the 061A ASP from Hobby Partz. I see tower has parts available for the TT GP07, and for the price of the AP, i might buy two to have spare parts. I read through several threads and they seem to prefer Novels. So, the end question is... Thunder Tiger GP07 from Tower, 061A ASP from Hobby partz or NV Big Mig 074 from nvengnes? Regards Elias R.
    In my humble opinion, any of those engines should work. The Norvel .074 would be the most powerful of the three, but even the ASP .061 would work. It is a clone of the Norvel .061. Cloud Ranger's generous 295 sq. in. wing area should be a nice flier. You could even go for an older Enya .09 RC or OS Max .10RC (both non-Schneurles). A .09 or .10 Schneurle of course would be a little hotter, but you could throttle back, fly around at half throttle. Mount servos in tail with short linkages to help with balance, if nose heavy.

Powerwise, I used a Norvel Big Mig .061 CL/FF engine with a lower compression MECOA long plug adapter head and yellow (med. hot) Fireball glow plug, and it hauled a heavy 40" all foam Cessna 180 around with authority. ASP .061 would definitely work.

All three are good engines for your application. Good luck with your build.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16