Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Which 1/2a engine for Sigs Cloud Ranger?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Which 1/2a engine for Sigs Cloud Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 AM
eromeros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 1/2a engine for Sigs Cloud Ranger?

Hello,

Would appreciate your input.

I want to build a docile trainer and was thinking on the Cloud Ranger or to scratch built a LST trainer.

Which motor would yo recommend?
I was looking at either thunder tiger GP07 from tower or the 061A ASP from Hobby Partz.

I see tower has parts available for the TT GP07, and for the price of the AP, i might buy two to have spare parts.

I read through several threads and they seem to prefer Novels.

So, the end question is...

Thunder Tiger GP07 from Tower,
061A ASP from Hobby partz or
NV Big Mig 074 from nvengnes?

Regards

Elias R.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/Med...ary.pdf?ff60b2

I'd say it is the best built engine of the three. Next on the list for this application to me would be the TT 07.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the oddball option, you might consider a PAW 100 R/C Diesel. These are incredibly fuel efficient engines that will swing a 7-8" prop, would be pretty darn good on a high wing floater...

Next choice for me would be an MP Jet .061 Diesel unless you didn't want to go with a diesel... in that case, a regular Big Mig .049 or .061 would be pretty ****.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly a cloud ranger all the time and has become my "go to" plane lately. I have flown it with 061 norvel, 061 MP Jet diesel, and an OS FP 10. I like the FP 10 the best myself. I would use an OS LA 10 if I were building another one as it is just a little lighter than the FP. The OS uses
common glow plugs and fuel which is a plus. Since you asked about a certain three engines, the one I would pick of those three is the norvel 074.

...don't forget to check out the Star-Crusier...I flew one of those for a long time as well some years back..it is an easy flyer, I had a norvel 061 on mine

Last edited by xanaphyst; 11-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the NV 074, finest 1/2a motor built and 1/2 the weight of the OS 10. Light trainers fly better, slower, and hold up better on unscheduled landings
Old 11-10-2013, 03:08 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by eromeros
Hello, Would appreciate your input. I want to build a docile trainer and was thinking on the Cloud Ranger or to scratch built a LST trainer.

Which motor would yo recommend? I was looking at either thunder tiger GP07 from tower or the 061A ASP from Hobby Partz. I see tower has parts available for the TT GP07, and for the price of the AP, i might buy two to have spare parts. I read through several threads and they seem to prefer Novels. So, the end question is... Thunder Tiger GP07 from Tower, 061A ASP from Hobby partz or NV Big Mig 074 from nvengnes? Regards Elias R.
In my humble opinion, any of those engines should work. The Norvel .074 would be the most powerful of the three, but even the ASP .061 would work. It is a clone of the Norvel .061. Cloud Ranger's generous 295 sq. in. wing area should be a nice flier. You could even go for an older Enya .09 RC or OS Max .10RC (both non-Schneurles). A .09 or .10 Schneurle of course would be a little hotter, but you could throttle back, fly around at half throttle. Mount servos in tail with short linkages to help with balance, if nose heavy.

Powerwise, I used a Norvel Big Mig .061 CL/FF engine with a lower compression MECOA long plug adapter head and yellow (med. hot) Fireball glow plug, and it hauled a heavy 40" all foam Cessna 180 around with authority. ASP .061 would definitely work.

All three are good engines for your application. Good luck with your build.