Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 6 of 6

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    6
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

    Looking for Airplane...

    (I think this is the place...if not, just tell me)

    I'd like to get an r/c airplane for my dad for Christmas, and my LHS told me about an r/c airplane that you could fly in your living room.
    They said it was small, about the size of your hand yet flew quite well. Just what I'm looking for.
    But they can't find it anymore. I don't remember exactly what it was called, nova something maybe?
    Does anyone know what they are talking about, and where to find it myself?

    n.b. note: *not* an quadcopter. everyone who i mention this to suggests a quadcopter.
    nope. i'm talking airplane. wings. empenage. one propeller. airplane.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Perth, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    1,879
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Have you looked at the Silverlit models? They're probably the cheapest 'indoor' models that I know of.

    Even then a living room flight would probably be pretty damaging.

    edit: having a look it seems they don't do aircraft anymore, just choppers.
    Go knife edge your cub!

  3. #3
    hogflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,028
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Monarch1st View Post
    (I think this is the place...if not, just tell me)

    I'd like to get an r/c airplane for my dad for Christmas, and my LHS told me about an r/c airplane that you could fly in your living room.
    They said it was small, about the size of your hand yet flew quite well. Just what I'm looking for.
    But they can't find it anymore. I don't remember exactly what it was called, nova something maybe?
    Does anyone know what they are talking about, and where to find it myself?

    n.b. note: *not* an quadcopter. everyone who i mention this to suggests a quadcopter.
    nope. i'm talking airplane. wings. empenage. one propeller. airplane.
    It sounds like what you are looking for is a micro electric. One of the smallest production planes is the Parkzone Mini Vapor which has a wing span under 9", weighs 8.6g (.3oz) and is bind-n-fly with Spektrum DSM2/DSMX radios. I'm able to fly mine in my living room, but it's a challenge to keep deal with the various air currents and keep from hitting something every once in a while. Experience is definitely needed in a small room. There are others that get smaller and use Plantranco and similar micro radios - Bob Selman is a good source for these.

    You will probably have better success looking in the micro electric forums of RCUniverse, RCGroups and Watt Flyer. There you'll find the guys who have a lot of experience with the really small indoor models.

    Hogflyer
    President and Flight Training Coordinator - Wichita Radio Control Club - AMA Intro Pilot
    www.wichitaradiocontrolclub.org AMA 47317
    Sig Brotherhood #85
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 139

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    6
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by hogflyer View Post
    It sounds like what you are looking for is a micro electric. One of the smallest production planes is the Parkzone Mini Vapor which has a...
    That looks perfect! Too bad it's out of stock. Hopefully they'll get it in before December...

    I just found the micro electric forum here. I didn't see anything like that looking at the plane forum list where I expected it. '1/2A' means very small to me, at least they are very small rocket engines, so that's where I went.
    Thanks for the other groups. I'll check them out.

    Thanks for the help.

    p.s. You're in Wichita? So am I. I'm starting to get into rc. I'll have to come to a meeting sometime.

  5. #5
    hogflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,028
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Monarch1st View Post
    That looks perfect! Too bad it's out of stock. Hopefully they'll get it in before December...

    I just found the micro electric forum here. I didn't see anything like that looking at the plane forum list where I expected it. '1/2A' means very small to me, at least they are very small rocket engines, so that's where I went.
    Thanks for the other groups. I'll check them out.

    Thanks for the help.

    p.s. You're in Wichita? So am I. I'm starting to get into rc. I'll have to come to a meeting sometime.

    Sent you a PM.
    President and Flight Training Coordinator - Wichita Radio Control Club - AMA Intro Pilot
    www.wichitaradiocontrolclub.org AMA 47317
    Sig Brotherhood #85
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 139

  6. #6
    MJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orangeville, ON, CANADA
    Posts
    6,703
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The Mini Vapor rocks as an indoor small space flier. I can do figure 8's in our 14' square living room with room to spare. It is great fun setting up landing challenges, such as slow nose high approaches to limited length surfaces.

    Lots of video on ewe-toob. I just saw one on floats!
    Sorry I'm late dear, I had to help my uncle Jack off his horse.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 PM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.