Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Looking for Airplane...

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Looking for Airplane...

Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Monarch1st

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Airplane...

(I think this is the place...if not, just tell me)

I'd like to get an r/c airplane for my dad for Christmas, and my LHS told me about an r/c airplane that you could fly in your living room.
They said it was small, about the size of your hand yet flew quite well. Just what I'm looking for.
But they can't find it anymore. I don't remember exactly what it was called, nova something maybe?
Does anyone know what they are talking about, and where to find it myself?

n.b. note: *not* an quadcopter. everyone who i mention this to suggests a quadcopter.
nope. i'm talking airplane. wings. empenage. one propeller. airplane.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Rendegade

Have you looked at the Silverlit models? They're probably the cheapest 'indoor' models that I know of.

Even then a living room flight would probably be pretty damaging.

edit: having a look it seems they don't do aircraft anymore, just choppers.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monarch1st
(I think this is the place...if not, just tell me)

I'd like to get an r/c airplane for my dad for Christmas, and my LHS told me about an r/c airplane that you could fly in your living room.
They said it was small, about the size of your hand yet flew quite well. Just what I'm looking for.
But they can't find it anymore. I don't remember exactly what it was called, nova something maybe?
Does anyone know what they are talking about, and where to find it myself?

n.b. note: *not* an quadcopter. everyone who i mention this to suggests a quadcopter.
nope. i'm talking airplane. wings. empenage. one propeller. airplane.
It sounds like what you are looking for is a micro electric. One of the smallest production planes is the Parkzone Mini Vapor which has a wing span under 9", weighs 8.6g (.3oz) and is bind-n-fly with Spektrum DSM2/DSMX radios. I'm able to fly mine in my living room, but it's a challenge to keep deal with the various air currents and keep from hitting something every once in a while. Experience is definitely needed in a small room. There are others that get smaller and use Plantranco and similar micro radios - Bob Selman is a good source for these.

You will probably have better success looking in the micro electric forums of RCUniverse, RCGroups and Watt Flyer. There you'll find the guys who have a lot of experience with the really small indoor models.

Hogflyer
Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Monarch1st

Originally Posted by hogflyer
It sounds like what you are looking for is a micro electric. One of the smallest production planes is the Parkzone Mini Vapor which has a...
That looks perfect! Too bad it's out of stock. Hopefully they'll get it in before December...

I just found the micro electric forum here. I didn't see anything like that looking at the plane forum list where I expected it. '1/2A' means very small to me, at least they are very small rocket engines, so that's where I went.
Thanks for the other groups. I'll check them out.

Thanks for the help.

p.s. You're in Wichita? So am I. I'm starting to get into rc. I'll have to come to a meeting sometime.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monarch1st
That looks perfect! Too bad it's out of stock. Hopefully they'll get it in before December...

I just found the micro electric forum here. I didn't see anything like that looking at the plane forum list where I expected it. '1/2A' means very small to me, at least they are very small rocket engines, so that's where I went.
Thanks for the other groups. I'll check them out.

Thanks for the help.

p.s. You're in Wichita? So am I. I'm starting to get into rc. I'll have to come to a meeting sometime.

Sent you a PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mini Vapor rocks as an indoor small space flier. I can do figure 8's in our 14' square living room with room to spare. It is great fun setting up landing challenges, such as slow nose high approaches to limited length surfaces.

Lots of video on ewe-toob. I just saw one on floats!