Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Not Wind, Not rain, Not Snow or Hail will stop us from flying.......

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Not Wind, Not rain, Not Snow or Hail will stop us from flying.......

Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not Wind, Not rain, Not Snow or Hail will stop us from flying.......

...Because we are diehards!

It was terrible weather today, windy as all get out, rain, nasty storms..... I made the 45 minute trek I do every other week to fly with my buddy John on the other side of Detroit today, we still braved it. I got about 3 minutes of white knuckle flying in very high winds before the rain came pounding in and fell so hard I was worried my transmitter would stop working.

Love these late season flying sessions-feels like cheating death to get a few more flights in before it's too cold to @#$% with getting alcohol on your fingers in 10 degree weather. In a few weeks we'll be relegated to burning electrons and tossing gliders, which is not a terrible lot in life but just not the same as flying something powered by Infernal Combustion.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess no one told you about the tornadoes? Nice big parking lot there, which end of Detroit is it? I don't see you wearing a bulletproof vest,
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM
DeviousDave

I had heard there would be storms, but you have to understand that it's gotta be pretty bad before we don't fly I can't think of too many times in the last 10 years where we just went to lunch without flying first....

No bulletproof vest needed in Roseville, but I do go armed pretty much any time I am not at work.

John has been robbed at gunpoint while flying before he met me, lost his wallet and the plane. My head is on a swivel any time I am in Wayne county. Roseville is NE of Detroit, I live in the NW in a quiet little village on a lake-been in my house only since late August.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dave...it looks like you are standing on a massive Corian countertop that just got hosed off...! Pretty slick looking pavement.
To keep from getting attacked while flying, just scatter some KFC and some 40s of King Kobra around a nearby field BEFORE the flying session as a diversion. I do something similar around here to keep the Yellow Jackets pre-occupied.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:56 PM
DeviousDave

I figured the "47th District Child Support Enforcement Unit" sheet magnet is enough to keep 'em at bay....
Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice P-51..!
Glad you made time to have some fun in spite of the nasty weather. When it gets really cold and wet I find that a freshly killed and hulked out cotton tail makes a nice cozy place for my hands and the TX for a couple hours of flying.