Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

A handy little regulator

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

A handy little regulator

Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A handy little regulator

Aha, found this while poking around. http://www.soaringusa.com/Regulator-...vo-Inline.html

At 1.5A should be fine as a regulator for small 2-3 channel flight packs, no? 2.45 grams is a good thing.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 AM
danilo-2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great nice 'n light, but there is also this one (of many available)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you simply run a 4 cell pack then there's no need for a regulator.

These are produced to let folks use a 2S Lipo pack without a motor ESC in gliders and glow models. Or in some very high power applications where the ESC does not come with an onboard regulator for the flight parts or for those folks that simply do not like trusting the motor battery to run the flight controls as well.

But again this is all based on the desire to use a higher voltage pack than the usual 4 cell NiCad or NiMh. If you stick to the basic 4 cell option there's no need for a regulator.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:07 AM
MJD

I know what they're for. The choices for a 1/2A model battery pack are not so plentiful. I've used 220 and 300 mAh (32g) NiMH packs in the past, but I won't any longer, just had too much trouble with them. I can get 14g 200mAh 2s, 18g 250 mAh 2S, or 30g 430mAh 2s LiPo packs off the shelf at the LHS. These can be safely and repeatedly charged at 1C on my field charger which I always have available, and at this point I trust them. From a reliability standpoint regulators don't worry me. So this is the way I am going for 1/8A - A stuff. These are smaller then the 3A regulators I got earlier this year and I like the short leads and compact size. Haven't yet ordered anything from HK, not sure I plan to.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 PM
SBS_Pilot

Yet another alternative for small rx-batterieries: http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...s+%26+Switches

Theese are 1S-LiPo with built-in step-up converter and charge regulator as well as low voltage protection circuits and low voltage alarm. I've read they are very popular with the DLG-fellows and I've just ordered one for my first DLG, so I can't say if they are worth the rather high price-tag just yet. Time will tell....

Oh, almost forgot: I think I read somewhere that Kennedy Composites (and probably others as well) sells them in the US.

/Stefan
Old 11-25-2013, 01:59 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a couple of these. Haven't tried them yet. Boosts the voltage so a single cell battery can be used and is lighter because of that. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_5v_1A_.html?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
MJD

Cool, neat little device. I feel more comfortable stepping down than boosting voltage, but that might just be a pointless instinctual reaction. For most of what I would build, a small 2S plus a 2.45g regulator is a pretty light and inexpensive setup. But for insanely light stuff.. hmmm.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM
coriolan

There is many receivers and servos which works well with a single cell Lipo which make TD .010 planes possible in very small size, servos which are designed for single cell use are as fast as a regular servo on 5V!