Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tiny servos

Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiny servos

I just bought a big handful of little servos. They weigh 2.5 grams. I couldn't find any servos lighter than that. Are they around? We are building several of Dave's WWl babies from Aero-Werkes. They are neat kits that take me back to my youth and stick and tissue building days. I can't wait to fly the Neiuport 12 that has a 22+ inch span. Give one a try and see if you can still build like it was 50 years ago. Thanks, Dave
Old 12-27-2013, 05:17 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are the micro indoor linear servos.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMSA2030L

http://www.rc-dymond.com/index3.php?productID=1946

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/1.8_gram...42969_prd1.htm

http://www.rc-dymond.com/index3.php?productID=2022
Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks MJD.......there are a couple that I will try.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:00 PM
MJD

I know nothing about the linear servos, other than I have some in Vapor and Mini Vapors. Those three I posted links to might all be the same, they might not. The only Dymond servos I own are a pair of D60's, but they are strong little fellows with fairly tight gear trains.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fast do linear servos return to center? I have a tiny rubber power TIger Moth kit I bought in Germany I want to convert to indoor RC. Micro really isn't my thing and don't know what equipment to use, but the fuse is about 1" wide on the outside so obviously very small equipment will be necessary.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They aren't quite as smooth as a regular servo, not as strong for sure. I have them on the Vapor, 4 Site, and Suquoi. You can look them up for weights etc.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM
MJD

There is definitely some slop in the linear servo examples I have. A good percentage of it is backlash in the geartrain, but I think some of it is in the clearance between the pushrod wire and the output arm hole, and it might be possible to minimize or eliminate this.

I have yet to develop a feel for how much control load they can handle - I know what the specs are, but what I mean is in terms of "how much aircraft" that is from gut feel. For example, are they far too flimsy to even consider for a lightweight .010 model, with totally drag free sewn hinges and 1/8" sq pushrods? Or are they "just right" for a lightweight electric conversion of an 18" span rubber model? Or..?

There must be an informative thread on them somewhere, perhaps I should try that obvious step..