Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

GO .06 Blue Head RACE Engine

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

GO .06 Blue Head RACE Engine

Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 AM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GO .06 Blue Head RACE Engine

Here is one for you guys that like to experiment. You can get a $17 tuned pipe as well !

http://shop.gotnitroonline.com/GO-06...Glow-B1040.htm
Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting, there is an Acme .05 too. A bit of trimming, a new backplate, control line type venturi, front drive washer, stepped spinner nut..... I wonder if it is as fast as the Picco P0, and doesn't break cranks. They are out of stock anyway. The pipe looks interesting, needs a header to be made up.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:36 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something about an .06 with max rpm of 20k concerns me. Wonder what the insides look like.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:21 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

it might have really conservative porting to act as a RPM limiter....[as a cover up for sub standard parts that tend to break easily..]?

20,000 rpm seems like a misprint.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
CafeenMan

It says 20K twice though, so not sure it's a misprint. Too much work to turn it into an aero engine for me anyway. I have a friend who's a great machinist who could do all the work, but still.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's what stuff like this is. It's low enough in price to make a fun challenge for a hobby machinist to turn into a "silk purse" if he is crafty enough.
I had a COX .049 powered RC car that had a very low powered version of their standard reed valve engine. After spending about $1 per minute of "run time" to repair burned out clutches and other drivetrain parts it became obvious why they decided to detune the engine.
That company had some talented people but they released too much garbage with fancy marketing on the unaware public and ended up where they ended up.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:11 PM
CafeenMan

A small lathe and mill are on my list of things to acquire and learn to use. My income supports it now. But I'm already not getting anything done and the stuff I want to make isn't exactly beginners machining projects.

As I said, I have a buddy who is a great machinist. He's Hungarian and learned the real way - a many year apprenticeship. He knows his stuff.

Chances are one of us will be far away eventually so I at least want to get started while we're still living nearby each other. I'd hate to miss the opportunity and I know he'll be more than happy to teach me far more than I want to know.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM
aspeed

Harbor Freight has a nice little lathe and it goes on sale once in a while. There is probably a milling attachment that would be ok for model type things. I kind of wondered about the 20,000 rpm too. Pretty much a TD that weighs more? I would be more interested in the .05 as it can be used for contest type events. Still side exh, not really a piped motor. Looks interesting to fiddle with if parts are available. I may have to get one some day. I have all the machines, just the next year looks kind of busy. (retirement-ya, right) I went through the machinist papers thing.. I know a bunch of guys with papers from different continents. Some were better than others. I think in some parts of Europe they went for it for 4 years and lived and breathed it at a trade (high) school. Here we just spent half the day machining and drafting at high school, did the same thing and got no papers. If you were lucky someone would pay you minimum wage to drill holes and lay you off before you would get your papers. The only reason I took machining at high school, and machined for a living was because of the toy plane hobby. Hmm, wonder what I will do when I grow up. I have heard if you haven't grown up at 50, you don't have to.

Last edited by aspeed; 12-31-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
CafeenMan

Pretty much everything I've ever done is because of either survival or model airplanes. I took seven math courses in high school just so I'd never have any problems understanding the math. I've never done any machining but have done extensive drafting.

As far as it goes, I'm sure even with no instructions at all, a whole bunch of metal and a lathe and mill I'd eventually figure out the do's and dont's, but I'd probably be significantly injured a few times in the process, not to mention turn out a whole lot of metal spirals and nothing to show for it.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 AM
aspeed

As a lead hand at work, I found most people can do fairly well with a bit of uncommon sense, and 15 minutes of hand holding. A bit of scrap metal to practice on helps too, before tackling an expensive part. Often a part will come out of the chuck. I hate that. Light cuts, and the right feeds and speeds is all the difference.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by aspeed
The only reason I took machining at high school, and machined for a living was because of the toy plane hobby. Hmm, wonder what I will do when I grow up. I have heard if you haven't grown up at 50, you don't have to.
I've never figured out what growing up meant anyways. Stop finding pleasure in little things? Stop laughing at the ridiculous? Stop having diverse interests and hobbies? If that's what it means then I'm all against it. Anytime I get accused of needing to grow up I am usually doing something I find interesting. Or intoxicating..
Old 02-06-2014, 02:53 PM
SnApRoLl-

Looks like that engine would make a good power plant for small tether car project.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 PM
MJD

Is this a 1/4 wave rig (aka tuned muffler, Helmholtz resonator, flux capacitor or whatever), or a funky looking tuned pipe, or what?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Mr Cox

In principle it is just a muffler but the car people like to call them tuned pipes and tuned mufflers...
They have a little more volume than a typical airplane muffler has, that's all.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:05 PM
SnApRoLl-

Originally Posted by MJD

Is this a 1/4 wave rig (aka tuned muffler, Helmholtz resonator, flux capacitor or whatever), or a funky looking tuned pipe, or what?
That would be a typical r/c car tuned pipe and header .
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM
MJD

I know it's typical car design, but I meant what type of resonator it was or just a funky looking canister. A tuned pipe doesn't seem like the right idea for a car.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Mr Cox

It's an expansion chamber style but it is to short to give a proper tuning effect. There is nothing inside, like you have on the MVVS 1/4 pipes and the Mousse can's.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM
MJD

Makes sense, for any kind of track driving I think you would need tractability, throttle response, good mid range power, and no peakiness.

Long and short is that cars are apparently not a potential source of 1/2A aero performance exhaust systems.

Speaking of which, I have an MVVS .15 with rear exhaust and tuned muffler that I have not run yet - apparently very flat torque curve in the 15-20k range, looking forward to running it up in the spring. Still figuring out the best airframe for it.

Last edited by MJD; 02-07-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Sometimes those car "pipes" are completely open, and those are basically just a "can" style pipe, and usually are cylindrical or constant diameter, and called a "Torque pipe"...like a Helmholtz resonator type...(the ole' Tower .46 / GMS .47 muffler comes to mind here)
But...typically, when you have one with a seam at mid point (like the one in the pic) there is a convergent cone shaped baffle inside. The cone will either have the end / tip cut off, or there will be a series of small holes drilled circumferentially around the mid region of the cone. I have looked closely into many different r/c car pipes, mostly out of curiosity, and have seen pics of one cut away in cross section lengthwise. There might be a pic or two in the car forum, but rctech dot com is where the more technical / hard core info can be found...

Edit: The term I used: "cut away in cross section lengthwise" reads funny...but you know what I mean...

Last edited by proptop; 02-07-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:45 PM
aspeed

I think if the bent up header is removed, and a straight longer section is used, it may be useful. It may take a lot of cutting to get it right. Is that a picture of yours, or just a copy of a pic? My MVVS .15 is a dud. Just doesn't want to rev up. Never tried a pipe .
Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 AM
GNO4U

Hey guys the new 2014 GO 06 engines back in stock at GotNitro lots of parts and pipes too!

http://www.shop.gotnitroonline.com/G...Starts_c64.htm
Old 04-08-2014, 06:00 AM
aspeed

Looks like the $17 pipe is $24 now. There's a deal breaker. I was just thinking about sending away for one, but naw. I got a few old F2d muffler/pipes to tinker with now.