Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

OS CVA .15 Crankshafts

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

OS CVA .15 Crankshafts

Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 AM
RACE 66

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS CVA .15 Crankshafts

I've been "huntin" around the various rc forums, manufactures site maps and the like but unsuccessful.
What I am looking for is crankshaft that would be "counter clock wise rotation". If such an animal exist. I am looking to construct a twin aircraft and would like to have that option. Any ideas out there?

RACE 66

Whoops ! Slight edit here I meant to say I need a crankshaft that is timed in the "CLOCK wise rotation"

Last edited by RACE 66; 01-10-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah...... you'll be making that one...
Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've messed around with a few twin .049 - .074 powered planes but never used the counter rotating props. A pair of CVA.15s could easily power a lot of great ideas for projects.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add to you list making props as well. Not a lot of pusher props available in that range. This is one area where electric excels
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 AM
RACE 66

I want to thank everyone that has responded. Yeah, I didn't think there was one avail, but, it didn't hurt to try. I guess when I am setting up my throws, I'll have PLENTY of rudder and pucker power.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have two OS engines already (they are not made anymore?) you could instead get two of the Enya .15 engines. All (?) of their .15 engines have a rotatable front that allows you to run them in either direction, depending on how you mount the front part.

Pusher props are available from e.g. Graupner, but the selection is rather limited. I think they do 7x4, 8x6, 9x6 and so on, but I don't think they offer any 8x4 which might the most useful one on .15 engines.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're right - I ran into this some time ago with a .15 pusher project. APC has 7-6P, Graupner 7-4P & 8-6P . Never found an 8-4 pusher. I ended up using 7-4 on mine, it was a small pusher canard and the 7-4 worked well.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
combatpigg

Having a lot of rudder command and practice flying knife edge is really good.
Another thing that helps spin proof a model is simply go with generous wing span. A 6 foot span model [built really light] will still be extremely sporty with a pair of 15s.
I used to fly 6 foot span RC Combat planes that weighed 40 ozs with a single LA .15 / 8x3 prop and it was a pretty good flyer lugging around that much weight plus the drag of streamers.
I'd run 7x5 props on your CVA 15s and just be quick to cut power if you run into any trouble. Make the first model effort a simple one to get your feet wet..then fly the heck out of it while you dream about other twins you'ld like to build.
I have a lightly built 5 foot span biplane with a pair of .049 TDs that is a pretty sporty flyer and I look forward to having one engine shut off before the other because then the model can be flown the rest of the time in knife edge and still maintain altitude.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 PM
RACE 66

I do have the CVA's, I have about 15 to 20 minutes on one and the other one is N.I.B. I was aware about the Enya, I wish the CVA's had that option. I think the old K/B 3.5 had different directional cranks, one for air and one for marine I believe. As for wingspans I am restricted to size, due to it being a racing airframe of 1/12th scale YIKES ! I know not much to hold up 2 hot engines. But as Combat suggested maybe a little "beater" airplane to get use to it all with the set up. One thing about knife edge if it came to that, that I could fly the course that way and only have to worry about giving up elevator around the pylons........
Again thanks for all the input.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
combatpigg

There was a local flyer who flew "704" AMA RC Scale Combat way back when...with a 1/12th scale P-38. It had a pair of Conquest .15s. It was the most mangled looking plane because the owner was good at picking up all the pieces and gluing it back together. As mangled as it looked up close, it looked just fine after it was in the sky giving everyone else HELL who got too close to it.
I'm not sure..but I think Dane McGee over at the RC Combat forum has a build thread for a 1/12th scale foam B-25. He might also have it posted at the RCCA web site..?