Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: cox and carbs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cox and carbs

why hasnt any one attempt to put a carburetor on the cox teedee or Medallion. or even make a new housing to fit carurator
    james ward

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    well i found out they are being made. has anyone tried these out
    james ward

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have used an old Tarno on TD .049/.051, idle down to about 6000 rpm but can't be used with muffler because of SPI. Cox International sell the Cox carb intended for the Cox 050/rc:
    http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-.050-.051-tee-dee-carburetor-assembly.html

Last edited by coriolan; 01-30-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The Cox carbs are currently available from Cox Int'l in Canada. The Tarno carb (also Canadian) came out in the early 80s and worked well, back in the 70s there was the Hiscott carb and muffler, and in the 60s Cox produced a throttle-muffler for the Medallion series. How many options do you want? People have 'been there, done that' decades ago.............
    The Tarno and current Cox carbs fit the TD housing-and are threaded. You can't fit one to a Medallion unless you change the front housing to a TD one. Note what is said above about SPI-Cox Int'l (a a few other vendors) sell shims that will fit under the cylinder base to remove SPI-or you can buy a non SPI cylinder from the same source and retrofit if you want to use a throttle. The Cox TD 05 R/C had this done as standard.You will lose a bit off the top end though in comparison with an SPI engine.

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have one of the Cox .05 RC motors. It has a threaded carb and a muffler. Haven't fired it up yet to give an opinion. The price of a Cox throttle and plastic TD parts would likely buy two AP .06's or a Norvel. An exhaust throttle maybe with a muffler would likely work on the Medallion. I have a throttle sleeve with a silicon rubber outer sleeve that was available at one time. The other throttle shown had a couple thou. ground off the cylinder to fit the sleeve. I used to get the cyl. just to have the two bypass ports, the throttle was not even used for it's purpose. It doesn't look like Bernie has the exh. throttles or mufflers, or maybe I just couldn't find them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wist.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	1964561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cox ex thr.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	1964568  
    Last edited by aspeed; 02-02-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's doesn't look like the Cox 05RC, but rather like a tarno carb and the regular cox muffler?

The Cox .05RC has a muffler similar to the .09RC, and there is an adjustable airbleed on the carb.

Here is a video of the Cox .05RC;

Here is another lineup with different RC engines;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	1964569

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There is an airbleed, but it is not adjustable. You are probably right. I haven't tried it yet anyway. likely some day soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a Medallion .09 with the cylinder ring style throttle and it works great. As soon as the weather warms up here in Md. I plan on making some engine run videos. Also, another throttle setup that works good for Non Tee Dee's and Medallions are the old Ace RC back plate mount throttles for the Bee type engines like the Black Widow Golden Bee etc.. I got a box of Cox goodies a while back and it included several of those back plate mount throttle kits new in package.
    Last edited by SnApRoLl-; 02-03-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
    The price of a Cox throttle and plastic TD parts would likely buy two AP .06's or a Norvel.
    Yes they are expensive!
    Quote Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
    It doesn't look like Bernie has the exh. throttles or mufflers, or maybe I just couldn't find them.
    If you're looking for the Exh. throttles, send me a PM. I have quite a few new in package.

Shawn
    Last edited by SnApRoLl-; 02-03-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The exhaust throttle rings are great little units for controlling speed on a sport model. You're not going to fly pattern with them because throttle response (I'm not sure that term even applies as there is no metering being done) is like the lever on your lawnmower. If you want to fly at 1/2 throttle, 1/3 throttle, full throttle, then slow down and land, then that's your ticket.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwardus View Post
    why hasnt any one attempt to put a carburetor on the cox teedee or Medallion. or even make a new housing to fit carurator
    http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm

See: 3rd party parts
    Sorry I'm late dear, I had to help my uncle Jack off his horse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have one of the original Cox .05's with carb and throttle. It is the hottest engine I have ever run. I bought it in about 1992 for $50.00 and I should have bought 10 of them. It will power a plane designated for .09 to .15. Super motor. Anyone have one for sale get ahold of me.
    Steve Westphal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cox .051 Exhaust Muff/Throttle Parts And Pieces

Hey There Snapper.......I see you have some exhaust throttles for the Cox motors. Do you have any other throttle/parts for the Cox smallies? I have an original .051 with exhaust and carb. What a special motor. I need another for a twin. I have just got to get another one. Please anybody try to help me.

ps.....Snap N roll...I really enjoy your posts. I have learned a lot from you. Keep it up......your knowledge is valuable to me.............thanks again.
    Last edited by Steve Westphal; 02-09-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Steve Westphal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Westphal View Post
    I have one of the original Cox .05's with carb and throttle. It is the hottest engine I have ever run. I bought it in about 1992 for $50.00 and I should have bought 10 of them. It will power a plane designated for .09 to .15. Super motor. Anyone have one for sale get ahold of me.
    Sounds like you haven't tried any Norvel engines then...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    oops Dbl post
    Last edited by SnApRoLl-; 02-25-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Westphal View Post
    Hey There Snapper.......I see you have some exhaust throttles for the Cox motors. Do you have any other throttle/parts for the Cox smallies? I have an original .051 with exhaust and carb. What a special motor. I need another for a twin. I have just got to get another one. Please anybody try to help me.

ps.....Snap N roll...I really enjoy your posts. I have learned a lot from you. Keep it up......your knowledge is valuable to me.............thanks again.
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Sorry for the late reply, I haven't had much time to log on lately. The only throttles I have are the Exhaust style for .049's.

Shawn