Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.010 foamie - video today's flight

The sun was out, weather only 3-4 degrees below freezing, a little gusty but OK, so I dragged my son out and made him film me fly this thing a couple of times. Two flights, this is number one, complete with a botched catch at the end.

Very noticeable in the cold weather, is the need to let the engine heat soak after start before getting too excited and pulling plug heat for launch. I'm using 25% nitro, I'll go back to 35% next time.

Check out the new compact starter box - Tupperware + 4s 4000 LiPO + starter panel. Works like a charm, and the battery spins the snot out of a Sullivan starter compared to a gel cell. Holds a plug wrench and a few spares. I like it better than dealing with the flight box.

http://youtu.be/VQdR7sckvJc

The aircraft is a Sparrow Hawk foamie sold up here by Great Hobbies. I suspect it is an HK or similar offering branded by the store but I dunno. Comes as a FF chuck glider with tow hook (for a change, one that glides great) with the fuse halves already glued together (you can split them) or as an electric with a small outrunner, three servos, and ESC which is what I used. I was going to slap it together as a knock around lekkie then realized "fool, what are you doing, put a proper engine on the nose."

I think it would be a hoot on a TD .020.

BTW I have had some level of success glassing EPO with .75 oz cloth and Derakane vinyl ester resin, seems to bond well enough to classify as "it seems to work". I figure I'll convert a Multiplex Funfighter or the like to .15-.25 power and see how it goes.
    Sorry I'm late dear, I had to help my uncle Jack off his horse.

Revver Bro #231

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I poked around HK a bit - I think this is the exact same model.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Revver Bro #231

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I could probably have fit that in the car and took it with me to Florida. It would start easier here. It looks like it is hard to see when it is up there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    No it's okay - the iPad doesn't have video zoom and on that flight I took it up there a bit to horse around. Remember an .010 is hard pressed to exceed about 35-40 mph so it isn't that fast. You can fly it in close too.

Revver Bro #231

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Flight #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD3IW-0if4c&feature=youtu.be

Check out the sink on approach.. plunk! No harm done.

Shorter run IIRC I had to tweak the needle again and likely didn't top up afterwards, which I did first time.

Revver Bro #231

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Very nice MJD..!
    That model has so much get up and go it looks like it could easily handle having the rudder hooked up.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It does, it's three channel. I started horsing around a bit more on the 2nd flight. I realized that the modded stab mount has way more negative incidence than I would expect.. But since it doubles as a FF chuck glider I guess that's what you get. Wish I had a TD .020..

Revver Bro #231

MJD
    How about a PEWEE 020? What did you do with the electrics u took out motor and speedcontrol?
    With a little tinkering the PEWEE can be made to run as well as the TD
    Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have Pee Wees, and was just handed a TD to try out. With the Pee wee being so common, I think it ought to be tested out. The Pee Wee isn't so precious that people would feel guilty screwing it to the front of a cheap foamie.

I kept the electrics because you can get the airframes separately, I have one waiting for a firewall and radio.

Revver Bro #231

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by MJD View Post
    No it's okay - the iPad doesn't have video zoom and on that flight I took it up there a bit to horse around. Remember an .010 is hard pressed to exceed about 35-40 mph so it isn't that fast. You can fly it in close too.
    An .010 will go significantly faster than 40mph with the right prop on a clean airframe. I've had a lot of luck with cut-down .020 props, you want to take the 4.5-2 and cut it down to about 2.5" and sweep the tips back towards the TE and resand the airfoil back on the blade.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Cool, I have wondered about that. I think this airframe night be too draggy, but it is only to inspire me to get off my butt and build a higher performance .010 model. But it is pretty fun on its own. I have enough .010 props I'll check it out anyways.. thanks!

Revver Bro #231