Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

too big nyrods

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM
mike 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too big nyrods

I think I goofed and am looking for suggestions. I put regular size nyrods in my scratch-built rcmodeler trainer 5 from plans. It's a 36" wingspan-18 0z. high wing trainer. I am putting hitec 55 servos in and I didn't realize that it took smaller connectors and inner rods or wire to the servo arms. I already have the fuselage enclosed, ready to cover. Is it possible to put smaller rod or wire inside the outer nyrod or will I have to rip it out and start over? Thanks for any thoughts or help.
Mike.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike......You could use the plastic conduits you already installed to slide in the smaller nyrod system...?.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 PM
mike 71

I think that might be possible. I'll take it to my local hobby shop and check it out to see if it fits.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Mike......You could use the plastic conduits you already installed to slide in the smaller nyrod system...?.
Slide the inner rod into the outer, then use a piece of 3/64 music wire as your push rod using the inner nyrod as your guide. I've done this frequently, but tossed the outer sheath and just used the inner rod alone as a guide. You can let the inner rod extend beyond the ends of the outer rod as a support for the wire. On small planes, 3/64" wire is quite stiff enough if supported most of its length.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed - the best small linkages I've made are with .047 wire in a plastic guide. I make drill bits from the wire itself - first grind flats on both sides then a point - then drill new zero (almost zero) -clearance holes in the horns and arms. I run the bit in the new hole just long enough to make it a free turning bushing fit but no detectable slop.

If the outer will come out you can insert the inner nyrod then pull the outer away from around it leaving the inner rod routed where you need it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by MJD
................ I make drill bits from the wire itself - first grind flats on both sides then a point - then drill new zero (almost zero) -clearance holes in the horns and arms. I run the bit in the new hole just long enough to make it a free turning bushing fit but no detectable slop.
Great minds must think alike.

For small holes in soft stock, the chisel point music wire bits make better, more accurate holes without tearing the adjacent material and I have better luck ensuring the location of the hole --- standard bits sometimes have a tendency to wander leaving a wallowed out entrance.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 AM
MJD

In my official tupperware tub full of Dremel bits, there are probably 3-4 of these homebrew drill bits in every wire size from 1/16" down that I've ever used.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
mike 71

thanks for all the help,I will definitely use the 047 wire and make a drill bit out of that wire. My project just got easier. A side note- what is your opinion on the easy connectors that I see some people use for the connection to the servo?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM
MJD

I hate them.. LOL.. And prefer to use an L bend with an EZ-link keeper or a Z-bend. The keepers come in .047. I just don't trust anything with set screw type retention on a vehicle powered by a vibration generator. Personal choice.

I also use L-bends with orthodontic rubber band retainers.. I even have one on the mixture linkage on .65 ducted fan engine and it stays put. YMMV..
Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM
mike 71

This is probably going to sound dumb, how does the other end at the control surface connect so that you can make adjustments? I'm new to the small stuff,I was used to the threaded ends on ny-rods in my bigger planes.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by MJD
I hate them.. LOL.. And prefer to use an L bend with an EZ-link keeper or a Z-bend. The keepers come in .047. I just don't trust anything with set screw type retention on a vehicle powered by a vibration generator. Personal choice.
And I like them...LOL.

I use an L bend, but retain the pushrod with a piece of insulation from a small gauge wire. Just make sure the L bend is long enough to use about 1/4" of insulation.

For the Easy Connectors, I agree with Mike that a hardened steel set screw tightened against hardened music wire has the potential to loosen since it will not get much of a "bite". However, if you're a shotgunner or have a friend that hunts, choose a shell that contains shot that is about the diameter of the setscrew. I drop a pellet into the Easy Connector, then tighten the set screw down against that. The lead will deform around the wire and the end of the set screw and keep the screw from coming loose and hold the wire in place. If you don't have access to lead pellets, a little piece of solder will serve the same purpose.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheap Delta Servo.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1970269  
Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 PM
MJD

Oddly enough the solder trick is exactly what I do when I do "have to" use them. "Hate" is a strong word, it was kind of tongue-in-cheek. They always worry me though, and I sleep better at night with L or Z bends and keepers.

I tend to strip ez connectors, they get the gorilla-hand treatment due to my fear of them coming loose.