Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

The 24 year itch

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:51 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
MJD, I'm committed to running what I've got with .049 engines, so don't be bashful about bidding on the VA.
I wasn't going to bid on it - I was offering one of mine in case you didn't get it but wanted it.

If the engine is liking the 6.5x3.5, then I bet the APC 6.3x4 would work well. Fair bit of blade area like the Cox, strong hub without being too porky.

Last edited by MJD; 12-25-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hllywd......I DID at least run some hard balsa tri-stock to join the firewall to the sides. This balsa is so light....it's practically worthless except for truly limited 1/2 A and under type stuff. It's almost to the point of being grainless. This fuselage IS amazingly light, but after the repair it'll be much less amazing. I've got a bunch more of this wood left [that I paid extra for]. It was probably picked out by some girl who never has seen a RC plane fly in person.
Now the engine DID land with the plane, just off to the side a little bit and still connected to the pressure tap.
I'm glad it didn't shake loose while I was setting the needle...!
Aspeed...the bitter pill is still losing the cowl on the first one. I'll find it 5 years from now while I'm off looking for something else out there.
PS...thanks for the telemetry..! I would have guessed 60 mph or so. This really is a tired Enya .11 and it's probably just running decent now because it's gummed up with just the right amount of varnish.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:37 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for the offer MJD, but I'm sticking to my guns about running what I've got stashed in the coffee cans. I disgust myself with all of the stuff laying around that never gets played with. The recent splurge on the ZALP .15 WAS giving in to the novelty factor but it was worth it...
I've got relatives and friends who are the same way with hunting and fishing equipment. There are even compulsive "knife freaks" out there who can talk for hours about why this knife is for this and that knife is for that and they own dozens of them.
I had this same talk with you maybe 5 years ago when I finished spending a weekend cleaning, inspecting and running engines in storage and 90% of that stuff still sits idle today.
I can still remember just owning a single Fox .40 powered Ugly Stick, a single 4 channel radio and a AA cell nicad pack. That plane weighed 4 pounds when it was new and closer to 5 pounds by the time it was retired, oozing caster slime out of every crevice and crease. After that, the details about how everything "snowballed" in RC Land are kind of fuzzy..........

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-25-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:06 AM
combatpigg

The plans that show all of the exact details for how both of these planes were built are now on sale...so don't miss out on this limited time offer........
Old 12-26-2014, 05:14 AM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the 6.3x4. It's become my prop of choice on the 074.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:20 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a few old wood 5-5's that I am hoping will be good for the few .074's I have. Maybe the .09 would work well too. They are pretty crude, some holes aren't centered etc.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:40 AM
combatpigg

The APC 5 x 5 electric prop made a little ASP .12 powered delta go really fast...! It had belly scraping launches at best and some launches that failed, but it really was a speedy combo.

I'll have to order some of those 6.3 x 4 's for this plane. It's eeeery how APC has all the bases covered to suit oddball applications like this. There must be people at that company who are out flying a little bit of everyhing every weekend.

So no takers yet on my "As Built" plans for these 2 magnificent planes..?
Maybe I shouldn't have had 1000 copies made.
Well, maybe I can show the folks at Harbor Freight this latest video and get them to sponsor future projects...?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 AM
combatpigg

While dismantling the fuselage to prepare it for repair I had an "epiphany".....for what could have weakened the firewall [more than that it already was by wimpy design standards]......

When mounting the NVA bracket to the firewall I drove a #4 SHSMS [socket head sheetmetal screw] into the plywood and the balsa tristock without first drilling a pilot hole [being too lazy]. Looking at the fracture closely, it looks like the screw popped that corner of the firewall loose first.

The 1/8" balsa fuselage sides have 1/64" ply doublers that carry back past the wing saddle and the plywood is mostly still intact. This balsa is so light, I could make an enchilada casserole with it instead of using corn tortillas.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:29 AM
aspeed

"It's eeeery how APC has all the bases covered to suit oddball applications like this. There must be people at that company who are out flying a little bit of everyhing every weekend." Kind of odd that they list the 6.5 - 6.5 as .10 size pylon props, when we would think it is too much load for a .15. They do have lots of good choices compared to any other company.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:34 AM
combatpigg

Yes, their listings for application are out of whack in some cases and their website used to be really frustrating to navigate because you had to guess which category each prop was hiding in......instead of simply listing the props by size.
.10 pylon....must be something they run in Antartica..?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 AM
aspeed

.10 pylon does sound like a fun event that I would go for. I think I would be flying by myself though.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:58 AM
hllywdb

It's a different world now. Pretty much all the planes at the field smaller than a 40 are electric. I would think that any 1/2a combat or pylon events would be won simply by who could figure out how to get a small motor started and the rest would DNQ.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:05 AM
combatpigg

.15 was popular enough to run for several years at a local club. It was based on one design, the Sig Doubler and plain bearing .15s that cost under $60 [or something like that]. After the kit was discontinued, the club had full size plans to build your own with. On a 2 pole, 300 foot course the action was fast enough to be exciting. They started the race from a flying start with a 10 second count down. So all the planes were airborne and flying behind the far pylon and the pilots had to time it just right to get a clean start. I didn't care for that, but it was part of their game and they had the only successful program within a short drive from here.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:08 AM
hllywdb

You're right about apc. I think they have a few mad scientist types that are even more warped than us working in the back. Doing stuff like pressing a td 15 p/l set into a big mig case using an enya rod and a magnum carb. They mount it up on a wee stick and fly it, then go back and develop a prop that works for it.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:33 PM
combatpigg

Yep...I've always been envious of those who figured out how to get paid for playing.
Their lineup of little electric speed props is incredible. It makes me wonder how you could improve on a mass produced $2 prop like those.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:15 PM
rc lifer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys, I have a few of the APC 5.7x3 props and I was wondering if there is an insert to have them fit up on a COX TD. What have people been using.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:56 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by rc lifer
Hello Guys, I have a few of the APC 5.7x3 props and I was wondering if there is an insert to have them fit up on a COX TD. What have people been using.

..ehhhhh just eyeball it and call it good.

Just kidding. Try a small hunk of medium fuel line. I've made up some aluminum bushings, but they might not be worth the effort in some cases because the fuel tubing usually works so good.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:14 PM
rc lifer

CP thanks I will give it a try. I have heard of that one before but it just seems to me so prone to being off center. It cant hurt to try. APC makes a good product, and provides inserts for the electric props for different shaft diameters. It would be nice to have something like that for the IC props.
I do really enjoy reading what other guys are up to, such as here in this thread.
I have been trying to get a Super Tigre X11 put together, from engines I have been buying from feebay and I have determined that I need to sell the stuff I have to someone with more ready parts at hand. I have an a ball bearing engine with no carb an a crankcase and shaft for the earlier blue head model never used. A sleeve and piston for same . If you can use these let me know, I can make you a fair deal fair them. Thanks
Old 12-26-2014, 06:35 PM
aspeed

I usually machine bushings, but use tubing if it is the right size. It often takes a few different sizes to get the right one. If you machine one, it is best to make it from the hole at the back of the prop to be centered absolutely correct. It isn't likely too much different though.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:46 PM
combatpigg

If the fuel tubing idea isn't meant to be, you'll know within 2 seconds after fire up. One idea that I haven't tried is winding a strip of thin tape to make a bushing if you are out of options.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:18 PM
rc lifer

Now there is a thought, winding tape. I have some aluminum ducting tape and I will have to give that a try, it might do it. I did just dig through my extensive electric prop box and found a couple of the inserts from some unknow brand that fit the APC 5.7x3 and they have the correct diameter for the COX TD prop screw. As soon as conditions improve outdoors I will try running them. It has been a long time since I have fired up a COX engine. I also have two Norvel 074s to run in and an ASP 12 to try out, should be fun.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:43 PM
hllywdb

The fuel line works fine, used it for years. Also brass bushings. The guy that goes by the name ridenfligh on e-bay who sold the aluminium replacement venturis for the td also sells 2 step bushings that work perfect. And Bob Mattes sells a cool spinner that is stepped for the hole in the apc, which is realy the Cadillac solution. He also makes it in brass if you need a little weight in the nose. For the 061 I fing brass tubing works great if you find the right size.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:10 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you from experience that carefully wrapping a bushing of Al tape onto the motor shaft works quite well.. that's exactly how I have centered quite a few 1/2A & other props. Most common use is shimming up the shaft to the next largest APC prop bushing. You'll want to burnish down the leading edge, i.e. the front edge, to make a tiny bit of a lead in angle/radius, so the edge of the tape does not catch and bunch up on a close fitting prop hole. Or chamfer the prop opening a hair, either way. It sucks when you have a good bushing made but screw it up swapping props. They get oily and try to slide off too.

Any time you can find an appropriate brass/alum/plastic tube to make a bushing, that is a more permanent fix.

I gotta check out those spinners..
Old 12-26-2014, 10:22 PM
combatpigg

MJD, I'm going to try that........adapt the plastic bushing from APC to the engine shaft.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:37 AM
Cross Check

Hi CP,
Thanks for sharing this thread with us.
I don't like typing, so rarely join in the 'conversations' here...

But, I cranked up this tune to max on my earphones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-n0c_B5RMY

Then caught up with this thread and watched your 'Expletives Deleted' video... at MAX volume...

No kidding, the amount of beer that came out of my nose was the most yet !
(I really enjoy laughing, and beer!)
Nice engine run !

That 'Punky' balsa is light, but only good for 'decorations/scale details' as far as I have learned...

I have made elevators more than twice (!) out of that soft punky 'no grain' balsa...

Even with liberal douses of thin CA where the control horn gets bolted...

The results are the same...
As a 'firewall' letting go ! ! !

That punky balsa does soak up thin CA untill it weighs the same as 'medium' balsa...
Without the strength!

Keep me/us laughing with you CP...

Thanks for sharing,

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.