Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

The 24 year itch

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I guess you know how to calibrate my posts moving forward.
As long as you are happy with the readings that's the important thing. This stuff is all about fun and nobody is allowed to define what fun is for another.
I remember going to work on Monday after flying an F-20 all of 105 on Sunday with visions of what it was like to drive a top fueler. It was great, in fact I am rebuilding that plane now just to see if it is as much fun as I remember.
Speed is a cruel mistress. But dang she's fun!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice to hear from you Vic...!
Fun is what the emphasis should always be put on..
We take too much for granted. When I was a child there were 3 TV channels that we got and the rest of the time you had to entertain yourself was provided by your imagination. My grandmother kept herself entertained by improving her soil and growing enough of her own food to keep herself fed.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:28 PM
vicman

I'm not sharing how I keep myself entertained LOL.
However, I'm taking the boy turkey hunting Saturday and I have a bunch of hot pepper seedlings to plant soon.
I'm on the road this week and can't wait to get back in my shop to finish that old F-20 for a hopeful re-maiden Sunday afternoon.
I got the old .46FX all refreshed last weekend, it feels pretty good flipping it over.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good luck on the hunt. I've never tasted wild turkey.
I DID say today that it's time to buy another industrial processed turkey and smoke it slowly.
We don't have any wild turkey here that I know of.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 AM
vicman

I am actually near the "industrial processed turkey" capitol of the EARTH. Sampson County NC. They run through so many turkeys they built a power plant to run off the poop!
I've drank a little wild turkey but this turkey hunting thing is new for us. Supposedly they are pretty dang hard to get. We'll see.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:16 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by vicman
I've drank a little wild turkey but this turkey hunting thing is new for us. Supposedly they are pretty dang hard to get. We'll see.
Good luck on the hunt, Vic. Where I live, it's not unusual to see 15 to 20 turkeys feeding in fields along side the road. They're pretty sharp eyed birds and very attuned to the slightest of movement. Enjoy the woods time with your son.
andrew
Old 04-09-2015, 05:20 AM
vicman

Thanks Andrew. We will have a good time sitting in the woods watching blue birds if nothing else. It's a new place for us to hunt so I'll be figuring out my surroundings too.
We see game all over the place here too but none of it is available to hunt on...for me at least. I can't really complain I've got plenty of places... just not enough game on them...yet.
Hoping to do a little flying Sunday afternoon too.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:31 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a few wild turkeys here. The smart ones stay in the cities where they get fed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	twist, dale last shots 299.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	2087419   Click image for larger version

Name:	twist, dale last shots 300.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	2087420  
Old 04-09-2015, 06:33 AM
vicman

Can you say Crossbow?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:08 AM
aspeed

I could get to within 10 feet before it would ruffle it's feathers. Maybe a club? Venison and turkey give me gout, so I leave them alone. Too bad, as I really like venison sausage.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

37 years ago when we moved to Tennessee you never saw a wild turkey, and everyone said how wily they were. Now it's common to see them in groups. I just saw one in my neighborhood Monday. I stopped the car, and spoke to him, and he spread his tail feathers, and spoke back. Obviously they are similar to domestic turkey, but a little tougher. Just roast them a little longer than your typical Butterball!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:18 AM
vicman

I knew you talked Turkey!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lately here it has become more and more common to see a crop of 10-20-30 turkeys rooting around in cultivated fields - nearby woods and cover of course. Some years ago I hardly knew they were around.

Last winter we had a ring necked pheasant take up residence in the snow drift tunnel between our house and the oil tank. We'd see it in the morning robbing from the lower bird feeder - standing up on tip toe on our front deck. We think someone nearby keeps them and they are used to people - another was in our yard for a day, and at one point on the side step pecking at the door looking like it wanted to come in.. then it saw someone walking by on the road and started to follow them.

Smokin' season is coming. I have one of those Bradley deals with the timer, wood pucks and smoke generator, like a little bar fridge, perfect for lazy bums who don't want to tend a wood fire unit. Mmm.. hot smoked salmon brined in salt/sugar/scotch.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:42 PM
aspeed

They stock pheasants around here, sometimes they survive a while in the wild. You see the odd one around until hunting season. The last year or so there doesn't seem to be any left because of the coyotes IMHO.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 PM
vicman

coyotes and hogs are in season all year long down here. The Rem 700 30-06 is on the lookout.
41.5 got his first official license tonight and went to bed early to be ready for tomorrow.
Doubt we will see anything but we will enjoy a great day in the woods.
To all you guys who get hanging with a son at whatever....thanks.
Vic