Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

2015 Design Contest - The Roger Dodger

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

2015 Design Contest - The Roger Dodger

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:40 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2015 Design Contest - The Roger Dodger

OK, time to put up or shut up. Here's the concept sketch I did a few years back then parked it on my hard drive. I think this could be a really fun sort of plane at around 40 inch span for a Cox reedie or a Norvel .061. It's big enough to soak up the power without producing a LOT of speed and should be good for a few rudder-elevator stunting. The goal is to produce a fun model with some zip yet one which can slow down and really hang up there on almost no power.

Here's the concept sketch I did way back then in 2011. The plans got a start but I only laid out some fuselage former locations and then some shiney object lured me away.

You can see that the original concept was for a rather small electic model. I may still make one for big hall indoor flying but for now I want something for outdoors which can kick back against at least a moderate amount of wind. So I'm going to play around with 38 to 40 inch span. The wide chord should ensure a low wing loading. That and the idea is that it'll be done in a very light sort of structure with one of the light parkflyer films for covering. Or I may go with esaki tissue and dope. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodger Dodger 3v.gif
Views:	104
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2094756  
Old 05-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good Bruce, should be a real sweety in the air, nostalgic ticking along looking proud coming from any direction.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:51 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

CAD drawing is coming along. Span has been decided on at 38 inches which gives 290 square inches of wing area. And with mostly air surrounded by a little balsa and film or tissue this looks to be a model that can be pretty easily built down to around 16 oz. So it should be able to catch a thermal here and there. But the size and polyhedral should also allow it to do some pretty funky rudder/elevator aerobatics. I've also slightly deepened and fattened up the fuselage to give it a little more of the pudgy cartoon look. The little sketch version above looks good but it's a bit too much like a "proper" Dodger carrying an umbrella for the wing. Fattening it up a little makes it look really good like the chubby kid that everyone likes....

The plans are a rough hodge podge at the moment so no point in trying to post anything. It's always a messy part when doing the extensions for drawing fuselage formers. So nothing to show for now.