Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Any Of The Carolina 1/2A Crew Still Aorund?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any Of The Carolina 1/2A Crew Still Aorund?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, it sounds worse than I feared.
I remember all the warning signs, but just didn't want to believe that he was undergoing "TheTransformation".
Old 10-16-2014, 04:51 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was glad to see this a post on here.

Bob, I pop in here once in a while to see what's new. I don't fly much these days as I've taken up other activities but I certainly don't rule out a new plane and some flying with friends. I would be interested in a fly-in if one is arranged. Hopefully some others will make it as well. I still miss the Early RC kits and hate they are no longer around.

Hollis, I wish you a quick recovery and many more years of good health!

Brian
Old 10-16-2014, 10:35 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woah, Brian is back???
Shoot, Patrick ought to be along soon!

Anybody got any good hunting sites in the eastern part of the state? I may have difficulty tagging out with our short mix season over here. I'm after meat vs. horns.
Spence is planning to take his first Hog in a few weeks.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:56 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good To Hear From You!!

Brian, good to hear from you!! I've also picked up some other interest as well as model airplanes. Here a picture of my other interest!!

Still flying the vintage stuff and have a vintage flyin every spring. I also have been do the pylon racing thing and am building 2 Q40s as well as 4 Q500 424 for next season. This with laying new hardwoods down this week at the house and other Honey Dos!!! Anyway, I've still have a few 1/2A's around and was thinking of having another 1/2A flyin at the Old Julian Field where we have plenty of room to mess up!!!!

I see Vic is playing with those two wheel terrors and still ragging Raymond!!!

Vic, they do grow up quick!! Spencer driving!! Heck come on down. You can pick up some extra meat raodside and don't even have to waste a good bullet!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0141.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2040693  

Last edited by BobHH; 10-16-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 PM
hfenn

Originally Posted by combatpigg
How is it possible that the Carolina Crew hasn't charged this man yet with desertion..?
I'll bet his wife threw out ALL of his glow equipment, all his engines, gooey models, etc....and he barely has her permission to even post at this castor oil encrusted forum..!
Probably under the grave she dug with the false bottom. Oops, I wasn't supposed to know that. Sorry Ray.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:32 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Vic, nice job but I thought they didn't go to disc's until 74? mine is a 90 sportster that's gonna be restored and my chopper is gonna be a 30 hp B&S automatic (let the laughter begin but youll see) Raymond always a pleasure to decript your scribbling...maybe one day we all get back flying...Bob let me know when the next Julian event is...Rog
Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 PM
vicman

The bird is looking good Bob!

Rog, The big boy bikes went disk in 69. They even had lekky start.

Heck come on down. You can pick up some extra meat raodside and don't even have to waste a good bullet!!!
Funny story, last night around 9:30 my neighbor rang the doorbell with an odd look on his face. He said someone hit a deer coming into our neighborhood, it was still alive and they didn't know what to do. He said I know you have enough guns laying around and know what to do with a deer. Living in city limits I don't like discharging big guns without permission so I called the local PD. In the meantime another neighbor, a new guy to the hood, pulled his 9 out from under the seat, dispatched it, and took off before the cop got there. When PD showed up he asked who was who and saw the deer dead. I asked if I could have it and he said do what you want with it. Score my first buck of the season!I quartered Bucky up at lunch and took a tenderloin to the neighbor who came got me. His wife was busting on us for eating road kill. LOL.
Vic
Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by vicman
............. I asked if I could have it and he said do what you want with it. Score my first buck of the season!I quartered Bucky up at lunch and took a tenderloin to the neighbor who came got me. His wife was busting on us for eating road kill. LOL.
Vic
Good on you. Nothing wrong with making use of available venison.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:04 AM
BobHH

Vic, years ago my brother hit a 8 pointer with his truckwhich totaled it and the deer landed in the opposite lane where a girl in aHonda Civic hit it and totaled her car. The deer was still alive and my brother,being a hunter himself and having his gear in the back of the truck put thedeer down. Unfortunately the State Patrolman who was called to the wreck wouldnot allow him to keep the deer. Said it was going to some state facility to beused to feed some others.
Funny, he e-mailed me saying he totaled his truck by hittinga 8 point buick. Never knew Buick made a 8 point car. Fat fingers!!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Default 2 0 0 6 for goodness sake

Youse guys killed - AND ATE - Bambi's daddy ! Oh my.

(How do you feel about raccoons? I have some that clean out my bird feeders each night - and I'll bet they are really, really tasty.)

Hollis, I'm gonna keep my eye on you - Watch yourself if you show up at the next GAMA show !

Brian, are you still near the fancy WoodStore? I go there once in a while.

AND - looka what I found (Boy they don't make it easy to add a photo do they ?)

Oh look ! I'm holding a trophy !

And look at all those fine people I don't see anymore - darn it. (There are a few I cannot name !)

Name:	Sept 2006 sml brd group.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2042365  

Last edited by Raymond LeFlyr; 10-26-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: I've overcome my natural modesty
Old 10-26-2014, 03:56 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Raymond LeFlyr

Brian, are you still near the fancy WoodStore? I go there once in a while.
No, I got transferred from there long ago. I'm out in Brier Creek now.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:17 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Originally Posted by Raymond LeFlyr

(How do you feel about raccoons? I have some that clean out my bird feeders each night - and I'll bet they are really, really tasty.)
We have a cat that wanders in from time to time to "visit" our house, so we put out food. Yes, I like cats.
One night I heard something, saw a good sized raccoon eating the cat food, so we had to start bringing the food in of an evening.
The raccoon left, and after a couple of weeks, we started forgetting to bring the food in at night. (it's that age thing, I forget lots of things...)
Heard something one evening, looked again and it was a darned skunk! Needless to say, the food comes back in at night..
Old 10-27-2014, 11:22 AM
vicman

The skunks usually don't hang around too long after getting lead poisoning

FWIW, Bucky tasted pretty good at lunch today.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 PM
BobHH

I've heard that skunk taste like chicken soaked in glow fuel!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Originally Posted by vicman
The skunks usually don't hang around too long after getting lead poisoning

FWIW, Bucky tasted pretty good at lunch today.
Thought about that, but living in town they frown on that sort of thing..
Old 10-28-2014, 06:04 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Bob- For the next 1/2A Carolina Crew gathering, would we be able to do some float flying off the pond? It seems to be the perfect size, just do not know if Mike would allow (also a small boat would be needed).

I have flown a TD .049 powered 3-channel off of water and it was a ton of fun.

Brian
Old 10-28-2014, 12:04 PM
BobHH

I don't think Mike would mind. Be kind of fun. I flew an old trainer and a Goldberg Cub with floats some years ago in my home town pond. Sure did make the geese hiss when that big yellow chicken hawk came flying by.

Heck, I think Ken Willard had a little single channel 1/2A water plane design at one time. Seems it was on the cover of one of the magazines. May have to did her out and take a look!!

Bob
Old 10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
av8rsodt

Float flying is a ton of fun... and simple to do. Floats are easy to build and add to an existing model.

When you mention Ken Willard and float flying, I think of the Pool Boy. I will try to attach a pic.
It was TD .020 powered I believe.

Brian

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	2042926  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by BobHH
Heck, I think Ken Willard had a little single channel 1/2A water plane design at one time. Seems it was on the cover of one of the magazines. May have to did her out and take a look!!

Bob
Bob -
I've been quite surprised at the number of float planes that Ken Willard designed -- I can think of 12, although some were larger than 1/2A. I believe 4 or 5 were 1/2A or smaller.
andrew
Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Andrew

Brian -
Here's the plan for the Poolboy on the cover you posted.
andrew
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Poolboy.pdf (775.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-30-2014, 03:38 PM
vicman

Now that right there just looks Coo as poo l.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:45 PM
BobHH

Andrew, yep Ken designed several. The one I remember was a 1/2A and was on the cover of one of the model magazine with Ken and a friend with two of the models in a pond with Ken holding his ready to take off. Dang, I can't seem to find it in my mag collection!!

Bob
Old 10-31-2014, 07:47 AM
av8rsodt

Thanks for posting the plans Andrew. I have, somewhere, the story directly from Scott Christensen who was friends with Ken Willard and there when Ken tried to fly the Poolboy from his pool.... funny stuff. I will see if I can post it here as you would all appreciate.

Bob - I know exactly what planes / magazine you are referring. Was it ths Shearwater? The cover had both Ken and Scott in it as they were the ones who designed it.

Brian
Old 10-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by av8rsodt

Bob - I know exactly what planes / magazine you are referring. Was it ths Shearwater? The cover had both Ken and Scott in it as they were the ones who designed it.

Brian
I think the plane Ken and Scott designed together was the Kittiwake -- a modification of Ken's Islander. It had really beautiful lines and could be build with floats or with conventional gear.

I believe the Shearwater was designed by Ken, but built by Scott when it was on the RCM cover. Here is a pic of the cover.

Name:	Shearwater RCM Cover.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	2043802  

Last edited by Andrew; 10-31-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM
BobHH

Ha Andrew, Brian!! That's the one!! Anyone got a scan of the plans that I could use to build one??

Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.