Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Any Of The Carolina 1/2A Crew Still Aorund?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any Of The Carolina 1/2A Crew Still Aorund?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked OuterZone and they show about thirty plans with the Willard name on it - but alas no Shearwater. and four from Scott Christensen.

Last edited by Raymond LeFlyr; 10-31-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Second thought
Old 10-31-2014, 11:15 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobHH
Ha Andrew, Brian!! That's the one!! Anyone got a scan of the plans that I could use to build one??

Bob
Bob -
This is the best I have -- it's a .jpg, but you may be able to pull sufficient dimensions from it to cobble up a set of builder's plans. There is a scale, so you will be able to get at least a base measurement.

Edit: I've added a PDF converted from the .jpg . That may help in blowing the plan up to a workable size, at least so you can get a decent set of drawings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shearwater 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	2043887  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
shearwater 1.pdf (305.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Andrew; 10-31-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:14 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Andrew!! I can import a jpg into AutoCAD and trace it. Then make a cut file to have laser cut. May modify alittle and make a built up wing without any sheeting to make her lighter so Ican use a Black Widow. Or maybe a littlesmaller and use a Tee Dee .020 with throttle!!! Ah the possibilities!!!

Bob
Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Put an extra one on the order when you have it cut for me pleeze.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
BobHH

Will do Vic!!

Bob
Old 11-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Bob and the rest of the Carolina Crew. Haven't been flying in a while due to lots of reasons. Sold Carolina Custom Aircraft for a lot of those same reasons. I really do miss the flying and fellowship with you guys as that's what made flying fun.I have a bunch of stuff that I'm going to sell so if anybody wants something, let me know. I'll never get rid of everything so if you do have an event, count me in. Take care everyone!

Dan
Old 11-07-2014, 02:52 PM
BobHH

Dan, good hearing from you!!! Boy, its been a while. Hope all is well with you and yours now so get those little 1/2A's loosened up!! Hope to have a date soon for the flying next spring so everyone can get ready!!! Still got that Littlest Stick with .049 on her???

Bob
Old 02-26-2021, 05:14 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Default Alive but all electric now

Hey Y'all,

I got thrown our of my old glow and gas club and the only people who will play with me now don't make noise and smell good - pretty much.

I still concentrate on the smaller models because the new field is actually park pilot size. I still try different designs using Model Plane Foam for the most part.

I expect that most of youse-all are in nursing homes or have to fly drones (ptui) because what skills you had have deteriorated dramatically. I am sharp as ever =, thanks for asking, and have actually been experimenting with new maneuvers every time I fly. People watch me in awe, but I'm used to it. And to think I used to exaggerate.

I talk to Vic every once in a while. Still can't use big words.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:04 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Hey, Raymond!! I’m glad to see those old bones are still knocking around. Hopefully some of our other guys will chime in here too. It does my heart good to see a reply on this thread every once in a while. Where are you flying now?

Don’t know how many are aware but Dan (Deadstik) passed away last year. It was a bit unexpected but Dan had suffered from some serious health problems the last few years.

BobHH, are you still flying at the Duncan field? I haven’t flown in a while but if there were an event coming up, I may be persuaded to dig something up!

I hope everyone else is doing well!

Brian

Old 02-27-2021, 08:46 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Brian,

I am sorry to hear about Dan. He was a sparkplug and kept some of us (me) on our toes.

I fly in an electric Park Flyer club in Holly Springs. The club name is too long to type out but look up HSSRCG if you wanna come play some time. I always have a loaner or two available for old times sake.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:05 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Hello.
Glad to see you're well and still enjoying the hobby Raymond.
I'm sorry to hear about Dan and Roger.
I drifted away from flying several years ago (moved away from NC), but I miss it. It's all so different now with the open-source, mega-channel, telemetry radios and lack of interest in glow at most clubs. I keep researching new radios, and I can't decide on which one to buy. But, I'm currently spending all of my hobby money building vacuum tube guitar amps these days (the risk of electrocution keeps it exciting).
I still have a few 1/2a engines left. I recently scored a NIB TD .049 for $74 which seemed like a good deal. I wish I hadn't sold my TD .020's. I'm not paying $250 each to replace them.
What I've really been missing is Free Flight. Man, I used to love flying 1/2a nostalgia FF. Although, flying Sure Sharks was always just as fun, especially with the Crew.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

I hear ya about missing the sound, smell, and pain (prop nicks) of those old Cox engines. I still have them all, including the model with three TD .010s on it. Alas, I doubt if I will ever start them again. Old age is not for sissies - but not too bad if you fly electrics.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:33 PM
Andrew

Hello, Folks,
While I can't make any claim to the Carolina Crew, it's nice to see old familiar names pop up now and then. Until this Covid mess, I had been pretty active in my club and flying fairly regularly. I have a 5 acre backyard, so I'm still able to fly some, but I miss the socializing with the club members. I would guess that about 80% of my flying is electric now. A few of the old posters have shown up in some of the other posts, but RCU doesn't have nearly the old camaraderie 10 or so years back.

andrew
Old 03-12-2021, 04:28 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Hey guys! I am still around and doing well considering. My boys and I still go to a few swap shops in the area and fly some models when we can.
Thanks Brian for the news on Dan. I have wondered how he was doing in recent years.
BrianS
Old 03-12-2021, 07:42 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Brian, I'll bet those boys of yours must be over 6' by now. Those are two of the nicest kids back then and I'm sure you have much to be proud of now. Poke 'em in the arm for me.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:06 PM
av8rsodt

Yes, they are very tall. Nathan is my height and Andrew is even taller. Zachary is not far behind (8th grader.
Looking forward to the swap shops starting up again so we can all catch up!
Brian
Old 04-30-2021, 05:28 AM
BobHH

Was looking around the internet today and saw your post. I also found this in the closet!! Some really good times we had. Wish everyone well!!!!

Bob

Old 04-30-2021, 07:13 AM
av8rsodt

Bob,

Great to hear from you! I have been wondering how you are doing with your antique car and model airplanes.

I still see / hear about “Early R/C” kits where others still wish they were for sale. Good stuff.

Hopefully in the future we can do a Carolina Crew gathering, 1/2A Reedie Racing or fly-in, would be fun to see catch up with everyone and see some new faces.

Brian
Old 04-30-2021, 08:57 AM
BobHH

Yep, still in the middle of the car restoration. I do fly some 1/2A Electric from time to time at the Holly Springs club. Yep, would really like to get a 1/2A fly-in together again for old time sake!!! We will see!!

Bob
Old 04-30-2021, 12:39 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Come to Sugg Field tomorrow. It would be great to fly with you again!

I "campaign" a bunch of little 1S toys there - particularly on Wednesdays.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:25 PM
BobHH

Raymond, Wish I could but already got plans with the wife!! We need to get together soon though.

Bob
Old 10-05-2021, 01:01 AM
windslore

Originally Posted by Deadstik
Hi Bob and the rest of the Carolina Crew. Haven't been flying in a while due to lots of reasons. Sold Carolina Custom Aircraft for a lot of those same reasons. I really do miss the flying and fellowship with you guys as that's what made flying fun.I have a bunch of stuff that I'm going to sell so if anybody wants something, let me know. I'll never get rid of everything so if you do have an event, count me in. Take care everyone!

Dan
Hi Dan,
Stumbled across this thread. Not heard from you for years, how are you? I've retired now, no longer flying the big jets ☹️
Has anyone heard from Dan aka Deadstik?
Old 11-02-2021, 11:22 PM
Andrew

windslore --
The following was posted back in February of this year. Sorry for the news.
Originally Posted by fireman7875
Don’t know how many are aware but Dan (Deadstik) passed away last year. It was a bit unexpected but Dan had suffered from some serious health problems the last few years.

Brian