Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ace All Star Bipe - Value?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace All Star Bipe - Value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:49 AM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace All Star Bipe - Value?

I have a chance to buy a new in box Ace All Star Bipe. The gentleman wants to know what a fair price is. I was thinking $50. Is that anywhere close?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Tim, personally I think $50 is a fair price. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=935496 was asking $85. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161509121864 is asking for $120 + $10 shipping, which I think is too much. AFAIK my impressions, they were going for around $65 to $85 on E-Bay less shipping. I guess the greatest thing is, "How much is the kit worth to you?" Nowadays kits are expensive to begin with and if offered, would be at least that if not more. Anyway, my 2-cents for what it is worth.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you can get them on the E***for around $50
Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 AM
GallopingGhostler

I dunno, lately prices seem up on everything. These kits are getting harder to find. Planes in same class:

Sig Aerobipe: (none available)
Airtronics Gere Sport: $120 + $9 shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/161515215464

Another Ace R/C All Star: $100 starting + $3.22 shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/221627662276

Of course IMO, those costs are speculating, doubt seriously the seller will get them at that cost.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 AM
exocet-RCU

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the answers
Old 12-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also think $50 is a reasonably fair price. With the movement to electrics, glow kits have seen a significantly reduced demand. My LHS has quite a few kits stacked up in the back simply because fewer and fewer folks are flying glow and even fewer are building at all. Many of us that still build and fly glow are older and scratch builders. The vast majority of sales at the LHS are electric ARFs.

Keep in mind that your kit price is probably going to cover about half the cost of completing the plane -- which means that this finished All Star will run in the neighborhood of $100!!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Andrew
Keep in mind that your kit price is probably going to cover about half the cost of completing the plane -- which means that this finished All Star will run in the neighborhood of $100!!
I agree with you on kit versus electric ARF. Regarding $50 in accessories, that depends. I've found the so called Chinakote as a decent product along with Chinese wheels, linkages and control horns, which would help buffer the cost.

These older kits are built slightly heavier but more sturdy, so they don't tend to rekit themselves like the highly lightened balsa ARF's of today. Also they are easier to repair. If one loses a wing through damage, a few cottage suppliers make Ace pattern foam cores. The plans found on Outerzone, Hip Pocket Aeronautics, Paul Bradley and etc. have plans with balsa frame wings so one could replicate a decent replacement.

Also there is the pride factor of building your own plane, which can't be replicated in an ARF. However, even ARF's have hidden costs, such as the first repair after hard landing due to inherent structural weaknesses through poor joints during manufacture or design flaws. Some even strip covering off in places to effect strengthening prior to first flight.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:13 AM
exocet-RCU

Yeah, I always find I appreciate the kit planes I build more than the ARFs, though the ARFs often have major mods done to them before they are completed. Sometimes I can just look at linkages, construction, etc, and say, "Yeah, THAT'S gonna get changed."

Tim
Old 12-14-2014, 04:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had 3 All Stars over the years. First one was a throw it together dont care what it looks like. Flew very wqell and had it for years. Next one I took my time and made it look real purty. She flew so sweet. Used the "new" for the time micro gear and 4 channels and a Magnum 15. Flew that for many gallons of fuel. She was just to fuel soaked to save. Third one last 5 flights. Low, slow, dumb thumbs.

You can get the plans from outerzone.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1355

Buzz.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you blow up the jpg. till the servo in the pic matches a micro or a mini servo you get a nice .020 or .049 plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bipe.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2055100  
Old 12-16-2014, 01:37 PM
PeterC

I too have had 3 All Stars and in retrospect if I built three of them it had to be good. The first two used the Ace constant chord wings and the third I kit bashed into a Curtis Goshawk or whatever by using the tapered wings and adding about 4" of constant chord wing to the center of the top wing. Slight changing of the tail outlines and a grey fuselage with yellow wings completed the illusion. I think the power was a ST 15. I tried the fist one with an Enya .09 and it didn't have enough power to even fly level. There could be a #4 in the future if all my bucket list gets completed.
Peter