Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Help wanted here

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM
meninspex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wanted here

I've made this request to the Glowhead Brotherhood and I'm sure I've made it before that but I'm d****d if I can remember where - oh the joys of being a septuagenarian! Problem is I have two TD Thermal Hoppers but one of them has an unusual NVA and I'm wondering if this is a genuine Cox variation or something my dad added. These engines are part of my late father's 1950s collection of aero-modelling kit that I inherited. Anybody out there able to enlighten me (or even tell me where else I posted this!!)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal Hoppers A & B.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2056479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal Hopper B (2).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2056480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal Hopper B (5).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2056481  
Old 12-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to post your question and pictures on the COX Engine Forum -- many of the folks there are very good with engine identification and historical variations.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Thermal Hopper did come with two options for back plates. One was the carb body you show on the left. The other was a metal or plastic tank back. The one on the right looks like it may have been the tank back version but without the tank bell on it now.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 AM
meninspex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for those pointers guys. I remember reading that the Thermal Hopper used the same crank case casting as the Space Bug so a trip to Martin Hepperle's website revealed the answer. Once removed those tanks must have been a pig to reseal, maybe that's why my dad left it off, must have another rummage amongst the pile of stuff to see if I can find it. Don't fancy my chances of finding one on ebay.

Another engine almost sorted - only 20 more to go!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cox Space Bug.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	2056904  
Attached Images