Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ame .061 r/c

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 01:03 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ame .061 r/c

Today a bit cold and grey and miserable for flying – after all the nice spring weather we came home from family dinner last night though snow and whiteout conditions in spots. Today is just blah, but I took the AME .061 RC to the back deck with a working tach and a new batch of 15% Omega plus 3% castor. So I could post numbers that someone might relate to, I removed the FG prop and fit a freshly balanced APC 4.2x4. Fresh means I had just balanced it in celebration of getting around to regrinding the tips on my magnetic balancer shaft and generally getting it back into useful working shape for props under 8"..

This was run 6, it has pinch up top but bouncy when wet. After running a fast but crackly two cycle for half the tank, I brought it to towards peak and it held at a steady 25,500rpm. This is the RC version, I expect it will fall short of the FF/CL version – anyone know what is par for these guys on the 4.2x4?
Old 04-05-2015, 03:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never run this engine with a carb, so I don't know what is to be expected there. I'm pretty sure any carb compromises some top end, so 25.5 sounds pretty good to me.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:14 PM
MJD

What would you expect on a venturi and 4.2x4?
Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 PM
combatpigg

I was getting 27,500 in the recent Blink thread. I seem to recall getting 28,000+ with a better specimen years ago when I first tried the Toad Mods.
I've mixed a new batch of fuel since the Blink Thread...15% nitro..so I would expect to see a small gain. The 5 gallon nitro can is so old...it dates back to when I tried to build a Speed Plane with the help of Der Steuerman.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:01 PM
MJD

In that case these carbureted numbers look decent - I would expect at least 1000rpm difference if not more. As I understand they tend to continue to loosen up past the first handful of runs. This one has only the piston skirt mod - I have no idea if it helped as I have no control data.

My next endeavour is to figure out how much carb throat I can run on a CX-11..
Old 04-06-2015, 01:37 PM
combatpigg

The piston skirt mod isn't complete unless the crank's counterweight has a corresponding notch [when the piston is at BDC]. This is what really opens up the path to the forward boost port.