Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

2015 Design Contest - Half-A-Wing

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

2015 Design Contest - Half-A-Wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 04:48 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Today I made the first test flight with the tractor design. The first flight went very well with n o problems. The ailerons didn't need any trim. I had to put alot of down trim in the elevator. So the launch went pretty straight. With a half tank of fuel made it good for a 2 to 3 minute flight. The glide at the end of the flight wasn't to good. It was nose heavy so I tape a quarter to the back end and made another flight. Made it better but still nose heavy. For the third flight I add nickel to the back. The launch on the third try didn't go good. It was getting breeze and I didn't get the nose up high enough on the launch and the wind drove it into the ground. Broke the wing. I have glued back together so plan to give it another try this weekend. Another lesson learned.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:12 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good to hear that you are stubborn about getting this plane dialed in..!
It is something that we all can admire.
A nose heavy plane will need "up trim" to fly level, but too much up trim causes drag and possibly other aerodynamic quirks.
It always pays to get the CG set as close to what the free on line CG calculators suggest, before going to the field. There is one calculator I have tried that gives you an overhead view of what your plane should look like as you enter the critical dimensions. The dimensions you enter are critical with some shapes, especially if a lot of sweep and taper is involved.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on getting it up and flying!
Hope your able to make the trims pan out and perhaps get some vid if possible.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:33 PM
A. J. Clark

I had time to make a couple flights today. Things went good as the wind was nice and calm. The last time I tried the wind was strong . Don't know why I even tried flying it in strong wind.
It's still very nose heavy even after adding some tail weight. Think I'll cut the back out and add some length to the fuse to move the battery back instead of adding so much weight. I would do a video but don't have the equipment for that.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:40 PM
A. J. Clark

I made 2 good flights on wed. I added more weight to the tail for balance. End up at 20% balance point . I think that is about as far back as I want to go. The little sure start is marginal on power. With a little more power it would be a nice flyer. I think I'll add some space in the back so I can move the battery back and remove the weight .

Then I would like to go back to the pushed design. If I made it more of a delta type wing keeping the same area do you think it would be more stable .
Old 06-24-2016, 03:34 PM
combatpigg

To build a delta of equal area to this plane of your's, it would have less span.....wouldn't it...?
Less span will make it more sensitive in the roll axis. The control setup and proper balance of these flying wing planes is more critical than a conventional design but they can be pretty smooth flyers.
Deltas WERE made illegal at some point in time for AMA rules pylon racing. It usually takes quite a lot of trouble for the AMA to ban anything, too...!
Old 06-24-2016, 06:36 PM
A. J. Clark

Originally Posted by combatpigg
To build a delta of equal area to this plane of your's, it would have less span.....wouldn't it...?
Yes the span would be less. It's 32" now. If I make the trailing edge straight the span would be about 3.5" shorter.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:14 PM
combatpigg

I'd just keep tweaking the CG / loading plan of wing you've got. Yes, you'll find more thrilling performance with more power..!!
I like your idea to try the pusher configuration again. My only negative is how the engine tends to run hotter in back.
If you get the itch to scratch build a 1/2A delta, the best way is to start from scratch.
You'll never fly any plane with a better roll rate.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:51 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting line of thinking about a delta...

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7466